A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Quick Rescue

Old July 14th 20, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pilot-res...er-crashes-in-
mountainous-terrain-near-invermere-b-c-1.5022279

Old July 14th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 8:15:05 AM UTC-4, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pilot-res...er-crashes-in-
mountainous-terrain-near-invermere-b-c-1.5022279

Wow - he was lucky to go into the trees rather than hit the bald-spots of the ridge which are close to the crash site!

Uli
'AS'
Old July 15th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

.... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

This incident sounds like a stroke, but I've been reading about Covid patients feeling 'normal' before their O2 saturation reaches critically low levels.

It might make sense to check O2 saturation as part of preflight IMSAFE checklist. If O2 is already low on the ground, hypoxia could happen at lower than normal altitude.
Old July 17th 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

This incident sounds like a stroke, but I've been reading about Covid patients feeling 'normal' before their O2 saturation reaches critically low levels.

It might make sense to check O2 saturation as part of preflight IMSAFE checklist. If O2 is already low on the ground, hypoxia could happen at lower than normal altitude.

Is the Corona boogeyman going to replace the dehydration boogeyman?
Old July 21st 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:

... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

There's just no damn job security anymore.

Only a few weeks ago I was talking to a young pilot who's pretty well up on things and asked if the whole IMSAFE thing is still being taught which apparently it is. I remembered hearing it forty+ years ago and what got me started was obvious fatigue on the part of another pilot.

Old July 26th 20, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Quick Rescue

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 5:37:07 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:

There's just no damn job security anymore.

Only a few weeks ago I was talking to a young pilot who's pretty well up on things and asked if the whole IMSAFE thing is still being taught which apparently it is. I remembered hearing it forty+ years ago and what got me started was obvious fatigue on the part of another pilot.

How many gliding ports have a helicopter standing by for an emergency rescue? Damn few - Invermere does because the copters give scenic flights to the tourists. That guy was lucky to crash where he did - anyplace else and it would take a day to get S&R to the crash site.

Tom