Quick Rescue

Old July 14th 20, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot

Default Quick Rescue

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pilot-res...er-crashes-in-
mountainous-terrain-near-invermere-b-c-1.5022279

Old July 14th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 8:15:05 AM UTC-4, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/pilot-res...er-crashes-in-
mountainous-terrain-near-invermere-b-c-1.5022279

Wow - he was lucky to go into the trees rather than hit the bald-spots of the ridge which are close to the crash site!

Uli
'AS'
Old July 15th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

.... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

This incident sounds like a stroke, but I've been reading about Covid patients feeling 'normal' before their O2 saturation reaches critically low levels.

It might make sense to check O2 saturation as part of preflight IMSAFE checklist. If O2 is already low on the ground, hypoxia could happen at lower than normal altitude.
Old July 17th 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

This incident sounds like a stroke, but I've been reading about Covid patients feeling 'normal' before their O2 saturation reaches critically low levels.

It might make sense to check O2 saturation as part of preflight IMSAFE checklist. If O2 is already low on the ground, hypoxia could happen at lower than normal altitude.

Is the Corona boogeyman going to replace the dehydration boogeyman?
Old July 21st 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 2:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
... It appeared from the flight path that the glider was "flying itself" for several minutes before coming to an abrupt halt.

... the pilot had suffered a neurological issue in the minutes prior to the crash and suffered no serious injuries.

This incident sounds like a stroke, but I've been reading about Covid patients feeling 'normal' before their O2 saturation reaches critically low levels.

It might make sense to check O2 saturation as part of preflight IMSAFE checklist. If O2 is already low on the ground, hypoxia could happen at lower than normal altitude.

Is the Corona boogeyman going to replace the dehydration boogeyman?

There's just no damn job security anymore.

Only a few weeks ago I was talking to a young pilot who's pretty well up on things and asked if the whole IMSAFE thing is still being taught which apparently it is. I remembered hearing it forty+ years ago and what got me started was obvious fatigue on the part of another pilot.

Old July 26th 20, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 5:37:07 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
[...]

How many gliding ports have a helicopter standing by for an emergency rescue? Damn few - Invermere does because the copters give scenic flights to the tourists. That guy was lucky to crash where he did - anyplace else and it would take a day to get S&R to the crash site.

Tom

Rescue Aid Graham Drinkell[_2_] Soaring 28 August 6th 18 09:29 PM
Me 110 rescue Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 July 24th 07 10:08 AM
Quick - what's to look out for... Jim Carter[_1_] Owning 5 May 10th 07 06:55 PM
Quick CFI-G rating? Terry Soaring 1 March 1st 05 06:52 PM
Quick Question... Ohmelads Simulators 9 October 23rd 03 12:53 AM