Solar Battery Chargers

Old February 20th 04, 12:21 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
This is enough to charge batteries, and power small radios.

I'm still skeptical that this is enough, but I hope it does work. It
would be a great little product if it is. Can you run some tests and
let us know? First, try running your cell phone until it's almost dead
and then see how long it takes for this thing to charge it up to full.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

http://www.oceancityairport.com/
http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
Old February 20th 04, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm still skeptical that this is enough, but I hope it does work. It
would be a great little product if it is. Can you run some tests and
let us know? First, try running your cell phone until it's almost dead
and then see how long it takes for this thing to charge it up to full.

Thus far the only test I've run is to see if the cell phone "recognizes"
that it's being charged. (I've got a newer "LG" phone. It has some sort of
logic circuitry that "knows" when it's being charged, and changes it's
appearance and state while it's charging.)

It was night-time, so I just held the unit up next to a regular incandescent
bulb. The cell phone "recognized" that it was being charged, even with such
a dim light source.

I figure direct sun will really make it go, but I'll test it out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 20th 04, 08:06 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:FtgZb.356674$xy6.1876363@attbi_s02...

My unit puts out a maximum of 140 mAmps on the 6 volt setting, and 70 mAmps
on the 12 volt setting.

This is enough to charge batteries, and power small radios.

They've got more powerful ones, for more $$$.

Have you tried it yet? How long does it take to charge up your cell phone?

It won't run a handheld...the transmitters take ten times that.

Old February 20th 04, 08:53 PM
Leez

70 mA = .07A
at 12V .84 watts
Good for trickle charging during storage. (assuming no or low loss
during dark hours)

The $$$ panels use better technology and need more space but may be
worth it if you want more power (Tim toolman grunt).

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:58:13 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I'd like to know just how much power it puts out. They seem to be

confused
as to specifications on their web page. mAh x volts does not yield

watts.

Old February 20th 04, 10:46 PM
Jay Honeck

It won't run a handheld...the transmitters take ten times that.

Nope, but it'll keep it charged for RECEIVING -- which is all I want if for
in OSH.

I leave that thing on for days at OSH, and always end up going through a
bunch of AA batteries...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 21st 04, 01:32 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm from Buffalo, NY. What's a "solar charger"?

I've often wondered: What could possess someone to live where 3-foot
snowfalls are the norm?

Umm, this from the guy that used to live in Wisconsin?

I hope you like snowmobiling!

Weren't dey street legal oop dere fur 6 months oof da yeer? ;-)

Old February 21st 04, 02:20 AM
Jay Honeck

Umm, this from the guy that used to live in Wisconsin?

Hey, I lived on the leeward side of the Big Lake. Lake effect snows were
something of an aberration -- not a way of life, like they are in Buffalo!

I hope you like snowmobiling!

Weren't dey street legal oop dere fur 6 months oof da yeer? ;-)

Back in the mid-to-late 70s, when we had that decade of really bad winters
(remember the Blizzard of '78?), snowmobiles were often the only reliable
transportation available in Wisconsin. We lived in Southeast Wisconsin,
however -- not street-legal down there.

Ya gotta go to Eagle River for that, doncha know?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 21st 04, 04:38 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
It won't run a handheld...the transmitters take ten times that.

Nope, but it'll keep it charged for RECEIVING -- which is all I want if

for
in OSH.

I leave that thing on for days at OSH, and always end up going through a
bunch of AA batteries...
--
Jay Honeck

Get some fast charge batteries, then walk around until you see an un-used
outlet, and hang out for 15 minutes while they get charged up. Make friends
with someone in the camping area, and get them zapped up while you drink a
beer or three. Get one of those rechargeable car boosters, with the gel
cells inside, and plug them up in someone's car for the day, and then charge
your stuff at night, with a 12 Volt charger, or an inverter. Inverters do
have a bit of lost efficiency, though.

I didn't buy a single battery at my last OSH, and I doubt that anyone has
more battery powered stuff than I do! g The one that dies with the most
toys, wins, right?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 21st 04, 02:07 PM
Jay Honeck

Get one of those rechargeable car boosters, with the gel
cells inside, and plug them up in someone's car for the day, and then

charge
your stuff at night, with a 12 Volt charger

Yeah, I've got one of those heavy-duty, battery-operated compressors. It's
got a 12 volt power outlet, from which I can charge my phone and hand-held
for quite a while.

It's really heavy, however, and about bulky. We're not weight-limited in
the Pathfinder, but we ARE space limited -- remember, we must fit and pack
for four people, for a week, including all camping gear. Packing has become
a true art, with everything assigned it's own station -- and there just
ain't no stations left for that compressor.

The solar cell, on the other hand, weighs practically nothing, and folds up
compactly. I should be able to "swedge" it in, somewhere! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 04, 05:02 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Hey, I lived on the leeward side of the Big Lake.

?

That would be the windward side, wouldn't it, Jay?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Batteries, charger for Yaesu handheld - NiCad or NiMH? David Herman Owning 10 November 7th 04 04:30 PM
Battery storage? Roger Long Owning 10 January 14th 04 02:35 PM
Icom A5 Battery Tester ?? Harry Gordon Piloting 5 January 10th 04 01:29 PM
ICom A-5 Question - Battery Level Indicator Harry Gordon Piloting 22 December 5th 03 12:07 AM
Battery Chargers Mike Rapoport Owning 11 December 2nd 03 11:55 PM