Trip Report: Toronto

Old June 27th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Trip Report: Toronto

I recently did a trip to Canada, and wanted to summarize it for the
benefit of others.

Flight was from Dayton, OH to Toronto Buttonville Airport (CYKZ).
Realizing that I will inevitably be radar vectored around Toronto, I
filed for GPS direct with only one intermediate waypoint (CYPT) to keep
me close to the Lake Erie shoreline. I was cleared as filed. Then
called 1-888-CANPASS just before engine start. Canada customs asked for
information about pilot and passengers and ETA. Then we were off. About
50 miles out I got vectored to the south of Toronto, over the lake,
for an approach into Buttonville. After landing we called CANPASS
again, and were given an arrival record number. We never saw a customs
officer. It was as painless as it could be. Buttonville has great
service, but fuel prices were out of this world.

On the way back, we filed for a direct route to Sandusky, OH because US
customs requires landing at the first airport of entry. I called the
customs office (from AOPA directory) and gave them an ETA. I was
vectored to the south of Toronto and then set free for a direct
navigation. U.S Customs was painless, although I understand that that
is not always the case. We had to buy a $25 annual decal, and had to
show the pilot certificate, medical and aircraft registration. It would
have been easier if I had the forms filled out ahead of time.

I wish Canadian charts were available for online downloading, even as a
paid service.

I have some photos of the flight if anyone is interested. The scenic
flight I took around downtown Toronto was fantastic.
http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/

Old June 27th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I have some photos of the flight if anyone is interested. The scenic
flight I took around downtown Toronto was fantastic.
http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/

I liked your TT breakdown amongst the 5 different 172 models

Let's see, I have 8 hours in a blue Warrior, 12 hours in a red one,
uh... about 20 in a white one... : )

Old June 27th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently did a trip to Canada, and wanted to summarize it for the
benefit of others.

I would love to see your site with the ability to view a group of photos as
a slide show. Do you (or anyone else) know how to make that happen?

Nice pictures, but I didn't take the time to look at that many; with all of
the switching from thumbnail to full size, and back and forth, and back and
forth...
--
Jim in NC

Old June 27th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That breakdown is at least a couple of years old. In any case, every
172 model has important differences in stall speed and other flying
characteristics. It is hardly the same as the color of the aircraft.
The reason I log the model is because if someone asks me to do a flight
review in such an aircraft, I can at least look in my logbook to see if
I have flown one of those before.

Old June 27th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
That breakdown is at least a couple of years old. In any case, every
172 model has important differences in stall speed and other flying
characteristics. It is hardly the same as the color of the aircraft.
The reason I log the model is because if someone asks me to do a flight
review in such an aircraft, I can at least look in my logbook to see if
I have flown one of those before.

Maybe I should have indicated my sarcasm mode was on : ) However, I
doubt there is very much difference in stall speeds and other flying
characteristics between the different models. Cessna's changes to the
airplane over the years has been incremental IMO. I've flown most of
the 172 models on your list BTW. As far as flight review, I can
appreciate your thoroughness as a CFI myself, but it's not a type rated
aircraft we're talking about here..

Old June 27th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Morgans" wrote)
I would love to see your site with the ability to view a group of photos
as a slide show. Do you (or anyone else) know how to make that happen?

BTW, nice pics Andrew. Cute little co-pilot!

Here's some photos I put on Yahoo - easy to create (even for me!!) and it
has a slideshow. Even easier when you discover you can name each pic, and do
all the text, from one place. I didn't see that useful feature the first
time I downloaded pics to Yahoo Photo.

Check out the "View Slideshow" feature.
Speed: Normal, Slow, Fast.
"Slow" works good for viewing + reading.

Overall, Yahoo/Photo/View Slideshow isn't the greatest, but it does the job.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3CD25B3D
$650 Hangar/Shed - Yahoo Photos (21 pics)

Montblack

Old June 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

[...] On the way back, we filed for a direct route to Sandusky, OH
because US customs requires landing at the first airport of entry.
[...]

Actually, it doesn't, unless you're coming in from Mexico. You could
have flown home (KDAY?) and cleared customs there or another nearby
airport listed in the "guide for private flyers" CBP document.

- FChE
Old June 28th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That's interesting because I asked this same question to the customs
inspector and she said that we must land at the nearest airport of
entry after crossing the border.

Old June 29th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Andrew Sarangan posted:

That's interesting because I asked this same question to the customs
inspector and she said that we must land at the nearest airport of
entry after crossing the border.

Good luck setting those 737s down at KSKY! ;-)

Frank is right... you can land at any airport of entry that you choose,
given that you have to call ahead of time and arrive within +/- 15 minutes
of your flight plan.

Neil