lycoming major overhaul

Old June 5th 04, 01:59 PM
Marty from Sunny Florida

Default lycoming major overhaul

Anyone here have cost information to do a major overhaul on a 110 hp engine
(C150). I'm in south Florida and am considering buying a plane with high
time engine.

Thanks
Marty

Old June 5th 04, 03:31 PM
jls

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone here have cost information to do a major overhaul on a 110 hp

engine
(C150). I'm in south Florida and am considering buying a plane with high
time engine.

Thanks
Marty

Cessna 150's came from the factory with 100 HP Continental O-200's.
Majoring the engine costs 5 to 10 thousand, sometimes more.

Old June 5th 04, 06:17 PM
Dave Stadt

" jls" wrote in message

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone here have cost information to do a major overhaul on a 110 hp

engine
(C150). I'm in south Florida and am considering buying a plane with high
time engine.

Thanks
Marty

Cessna 150's came from the factory with 100 HP Continental O-200's.
Majoring the engine costs 5 to 10 thousand, sometimes more.

There is a huge difference in overhaul costs between the Continental O-200
in the 150 and the Lycoming O-235 in the 152. The cost to overhaul the
Lycoming will be much higher.

Old June 5th 04, 07:05 PM
Marty from Sunny Florida

By how much more is the Lycoming to overhaul and why? I have an old hand A&P
friend who says the Lycoming is easier to work on than the Continental.
Also, didn't Cessna start using the Lycoming in their later model 150's ?

Please reply

Marty

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

Old June 5th 04, 09:03 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Marty from Sunny Florida wrote:

Also, didn't Cessna start using the Lycoming in their later model 150's ?

No. All 150s came with the Continental O-200. Cessna went to Lycoming engines for the
152.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 5th 04, 09:31 PM
jls

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

" jls" wrote in message

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone here have cost information to do a major overhaul on a 110 hp

engine
(C150). I'm in south Florida and am considering buying a plane with

high
time engine.

Thanks
Marty

Cessna 150's came from the factory with 100 HP Continental O-200's.
Majoring the engine costs 5 to 10 thousand, sometimes more.

There is a huge difference in overhaul costs between the Continental O-200
in the 150 and the Lycoming O-235 in the 152. The cost to overhaul the
Lycoming will be much higher.

You are so right. I like those little Lycomings with their 2k hour tbo's
and solid lifters. They last forever but are expensive to overhaul.

Old June 5th 04, 11:15 PM
Newps

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

There is a huge difference in overhaul costs between the Continental O-200
in the 150 and the Lycoming O-235 in the 152. The cost to overhaul the
Lycoming will be much higher.

And reading this months Cessna Pilots Assoc magazine makes you wonder if
Lycoming will be able to stay in business much longer. New list price for
the Lyc TIO-540 is $138K. For the Continental TSIO-520 $51K. Street price
$100K vs $35K. Factory reman list price $86K vs $44K. Factory reman street
price $58K vs $29K. The price of a new Turbo 206 would drop $85K by simply
putting in a Continental. You guys with the regualr IO-540 are getting
ripped off too. New list $72K vs $41K for the Continental IO-470.

Old June 5th 04, 11:50 PM
John Galban

"Marty from Sunny Florida" wrote in message ...
By how much more is the Lycoming to overhaul and why? I have an old hand A&P
friend who says the Lycoming is easier to work on than the Continental.
Also, didn't Cessna start using the Lycoming in their later model 150's ?

All Cessna 150s came equipped with the Continental O-200 (100 hp).
The follow-on model Cessna 152 used the Lycoming O-235. If you're
really looking at a Cessna 150 forget about Lycoming overhaul costs.
It doesn't apply.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old June 6th 04, 02:47 PM
Dave Stadt

"Newps" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

There is a huge difference in overhaul costs between the Continental

O-200
in the 150 and the Lycoming O-235 in the 152. The cost to overhaul the
Lycoming will be much higher.

And reading this months Cessna Pilots Assoc magazine makes you wonder if
Lycoming will be able to stay in business much longer. New list price for
the Lyc TIO-540 is $138K. For the Continental TSIO-520 $51K. Street

price
$100K vs $35K. Factory reman list price $86K vs $44K. Factory reman

street
price $58K vs $29K. The price of a new Turbo 206 would drop $85K by

simply
putting in a Continental. You guys with the regualr IO-540 are getting
ripped off too. New list $72K vs $41K for the Continental IO-470.

Latest price for a set of rings for a lycoming O-235 is $1600.

Book Review:Maintenance/overhaul guide to Lycoming aircraft engines, Christy Paul Home Built 11 December 26th 04 04:24 AM
Lycoming remote oil filter Evan Carew Home Built 0 November 5th 04 11:09 PM
Lycoming Cad model steve mahoney Home Built 0 August 23rd 04 08:15 AM
Lycoming Sued jls Home Built 0 February 13th 04 03:01 PM
Lycoming 320 and EAA Light Sport Aircraft ? Dave Jackson Home Built 29 October 20th 03 01:20 AM