transponder repair

Old May 29th 04, 03:57 PM

Default transponder repair

I have a Narco AT50A transponder that is not working right. Since I
don't fly IFR, I'm thinking I'll just get it repaired and not upgrade
to an expensive unit with a more modern design (such as Garmin GTX
327). It seems that if the repair is cheaper than buying a used
yellow-tagged newer model, I'm coming out ahead. But I'm wondering
about the 30- or 40-year-old cavity tube oscillator. If faulty, would
it be repaired, would it be replaced with a working used one, or would
it be replaced with a new one? Should I be considering other options?
Old May 30th 04, 01:24 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Nathan Young wrote:

: Unless you're going to move to a GTX330 / GNS430 combo so you can get
: TIS, I'd go with one of the above options (especially VFR).

You might try contacting one of the radio shops that does a lot of TIS
compatible installations to see if they've got a yellow-tagged Narcoleptic
transponder on the shelf.

Old May 31st 04, 06:55 PM
Jay Honeck

I was faced with the same choice last winter (our AT50A's third digit
decided it would sometimes report a different number than dialed in...), and
opted to buy the solid-state GTX-327.

We haven't regretted that choice. It's "instant on" so you are on ATC
immediately, has several very useful timers built in, and the "one-touch
VFR" button is very nice.

I'm selling my old AT50A on Ebay right now, if you're interested in using it
for parts? Current bid is a whopping $2.00!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 31st 04, 07:33 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:55:57 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I'm selling my old AT50A on Ebay right now, if you're interested in using it
for parts? Current bid is a whopping $2.00!
:-)

Heck, Jay, when I posted about replacing my Terra TRT 250 with a Microair
on RAH, I was asked to donate it to a fellow netter for parts to fix his.
THEN he turned it down because it was an even older model than the one *he*
had (mechanical digits instead of LEDs). Couldn't even give it away. :-)

Best application I heard of for my old Terra was the guy who posted looking
for them 'cause he needed wheel chocks. Though I'm keeping mine, as it fits
nicely in my den-shelf avionics stack. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 31st 04, 09:45 PM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:33:44 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Best application I heard of for my old Terra was the guy who posted looking
for them 'cause he needed wheel chocks. Though I'm keeping mine, as it fits
nicely in my den-shelf avionics stack. :-)

At the top or bottom?

Don g

Old May 31st 04, 11:53 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
We haven't regretted that choice. It's "instant on" so you are on ATC
immediately, has several very useful timers built in, and the "one-touch
VFR" button is very nice.

Here's an interesting little story about one-touch VFR buttons... A pilot
flying inbound to Tipton airport inside the Washington ADIZ reported
"Tipton in sight" to the controller. He was using his Com2, which was
right next to his transponder. When the controller told him to switch to
Tipton's UNICOM, but remain on his squawk, he switched frequencies, but
apparently bumped his "one touch VFR" button. He was squawking 1200 for
several minutes as he entered Tipton's pattern and landed. Upon landing,
he was told to call the head controller at Potomac approach. He's now
facing a possible 30 day suspension of his certificate.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old June 1st 04, 12:22 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm selling my old AT50A on Ebay right now, if you're interested in using it
for parts? Current bid is a whopping $2.00!

On Ebay, more than anything else these days, it ain't over 'til it's over. If people
want it, most of the bids will go in in the last minute or two.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 1st 04, 06:51 PM
Jay Honeck

On Ebay, more than anything else these days, it ain't over 'til it's over.
If people
want it, most of the bids will go in in the last minute or two.

Yeah, my clock went from $68 to $85 in the last 90 seconds!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 1st 04, 08:34 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
Yeah, my clock went from $68 to $85 in the last 90 seconds!

Damn! I'm sure I have 4 or 5 of those things in various parts drawers. I
should get off my butt and sell them (along with probably a $1000 of other
parts that don't fit my Cherokee).

--- Jay

--
__!__

De-ice boot repair gbessert Owning 3 August 29th 17 07:30 PM
VHF & Transponder antenna Steve Home Built 1 December 6th 04 05:29 PM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 04:09 PM
Fixing the Transponder with Duct Tape and Aluminum Foil Ron Wanttaja Home Built 45 March 14th 04 01:18 AM
transponder check? Russell Duffy Home Built 10 August 14th 03 11:36 PM