It's not our fault...

Old December 23rd 03, 03:45 PM
EDR

Default It's not our fault...

It's not our fault Tom Ridge just doesn't get it; nor does the NSC's
"Anaconda" (or whatever the name is) program that monitors all
electronic communications doesn't have the proper context filter to
discount all our rec.aviation postings.

Hey Tom, the weather gets lousey this time of year, so we participate
in a time honored form of communication called "hangar flying". That's
why the "chatter" has gone up. And around the holidays, we tend to stay
close to home so yeah, the email traffic can get pretty high if we have
a good topic to debate and discuss.

Think about all the times we use "key words" the program latches onto:

flying
airports
fuel load
fuel-air
useful load
crash
airport security
Bush
Secret Service
Air Force One
TSA
TFR
box cutters
nail clippers
carry on luggage
pilotage

(I just had a brain fade and cannot remember the other words I was
going to include. Feel free to add you own candidate words.)

We could really have some fun with this, maybe we could all take on
middle east sounding pseudonyms in our sig lines.
Old December 28th 03, 03:01 PM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:45:18 GMT, EDR wrote:

Hey Tom, the weather gets lousey this time of year, so we participate
in a time honored form of communication called "hangar flying".

Those among the readership who believe that "hangar flying" is
appropriate for this newsgroup haven't read and understood the group's
charter:

From: Geoff Peck )
Subject: CHARTER: rec.aviation.piloting
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: 2002-01-13 00:45:07 PST

The charter of rec.aviation.piloting is:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

Old December 28th 03, 03:53 PM
Dan Luke

Those among the readership who believe that "hangar flying" is
appropriate for this newsgroup haven't read and understood
the group's charter:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

These topics comprise a pretty good definition of "hangar flying," IMO.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 28th 03, 04:33 PM

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:53:40 -0600, "Dan Luke"

Those among the readership who believe that "hangar flying" is
appropriate for this newsgroup haven't read and understood
the group's charter:

* Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* rec.aviation groups. Topics include, but are not limited to
* flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* ground support facilities, etc.

These topics comprise a pretty good definition of "hangar flying," IMO.

You'll note that the first word of the newsgroup's charter is
'information.' If an article fails to provide INFORMATION that falls
within the newsgroup's guidelines, it isn't appropriate, IMO.

Old December 29th 03, 02:25 AM
Jay Honeck

By the way, what kind of beer is Jay going to have at next year's
pre-Airventure barbeque?

Sprecher Special Amber! ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 29th 03, 06:24 AM
StellaStar

By the way, what kind of beer is Jay going to have at next year's
pre-Airventure barbeque?

Sprecher Special Amber! ;-)

Completely off-topic, but I can't resist. My kid sis befriended a bar owner in
Galveston, where she lives. (I went to a great airshow there last year --
there's the aviation connection!) The guy one evening started pouring a Lone
Star for some lucky patron and then added half a tankard of Shiner Bock. Folks
thought it was cute that he dubbed it Star-Bock, and it became local favorite.
Lo and behold, Starbucks heard about it and threatened a lawsuit!
Old December 30th 03, 02:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Lo and behold, Starbucks heard about it and threatened a lawsuit!

That's sad.

Starbucks has become the Wal-Mart of coffee shops, to be despised and
avoided at all costs.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 30th 03, 02:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Lo and behold, Starbucks heard about it and threatened a lawsuit!

That's sad.

Starbucks has become the Wal-Mart of coffee shops, to be despised and
avoided at all costs.

They've been one to avoid since their fiasco in NYC during the 9/11
disaster.