A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sailplane Canopy

Old August 23rd 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

Having owned 2 201 and 2 301 I would really like to know what the difference in the blank canopy is. Surely it cannot be a great deal if anything at all
Fitted a racing canopy to both and I am not sure I could tell you the difference

Here are some pics of that operation and a little more

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...3VfZkdsdFV0cmc

It was a load of work but well worth it in the end
Old August 24th 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

Google for "aircraft canopy makers". There's several.
Old August 24th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 2:42:32 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Having owned 2 201 and 2 301 I would really like to know what the difference in the blank canopy is. Surely it cannot be a great deal if anything at all
Fitted a racing canopy to both and I am not sure I could tell you the difference

Here are some pics of that operation and a little more

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...3VfZkdsdFV0cmc

It was a load of work but well worth it in the end

Beautiful Libelles Ross!

Fitting something like a libelle canopy that doesn't flow into the curvature of the forward fuselage is much more challenging than typical canopies. Lots of small cuts and trial fits.

Cheers,
Craig
Old August 24th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

Ross I'm not certain what canopy is on you're Libelle. Is that the low profile canopy option Libelle canopy? Is that a canopy for a different type? I want to install the same as you've got. Looks better than the standard Libelle canopy! Yeah if you could tell me the canopy you used and I could get one for less than $1,000 I may go that way and you could give me tips on installation if there are important tricks or particular nuances of such.
Old August 24th 18, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

Thank You Mr. Whitley and Mr. Leonard for looking into the canopy sourcing matter for me.
Old August 24th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Sailplane Canopy

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ross I'm not certain what canopy is on you're Libelle. Is that the low profile canopy option Libelle canopy? Is that a canopy for a different type? I want to install the same as you've got. Looks better than the standard Libelle canopy! Yeah if you could tell me the canopy you used and I could get one for less than $1,000 I may go that way and you could give me tips on installation if there are important tricks or particular nuances of such.

Hi Brian,

Yes, the Libelle was offered with two canopy options. I believe they were "Standard" (now referred to as the "racing" canopy) and the "Tall", which is what most have gotten over the years. I agree with you that the "racing" looks a lot "sexier". Fitting in can be an issue for some, but I fit in the FJ-1 (made up of Libelle parts) with its racing canopy, seat back still installed, with a chute on. I am 6'2" tall but have a bit more of my height in my legs, so this gives me a bit more head room, but a tougher fit under the panel for my legs.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Ross used a Mecaplex canopy, so not an under $1K option.

Steve Leonard