Russian NAVY detected foreign subs near Kamchatka

Old August 25th 03, 08:28 AM
Michael Petukhov

Default Russian NAVY detected foreign subs near Kamchatka

http://gazeta.ru/lenta.shtml?274014#274014 (in russian)

Aug 25, 7:40

commander-in-chief of Russian NAVY admiral Kuroedov told
press that forces of russian pacific ocean fleet have
detected in Saturday and also today foreign submarines
in the area near Kamchatka where large scale manoeuvres of our
fleet are carried out. "We are fully in control of this
situation and prepared to interact with our foreign
"observers" in this way as well. Perhaps those subs
came instead of observers who were invited but did not
came from some countries", he said //Interfax

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

Michael
Old August 25th 03, 04:16 PM
Gordon

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

"Never" Another typical Michael lie. The Breakout in April 85 included an
entire regiment of Central Asian-based Backfires, flying out over -- guess
where ? -- the Pacific, in the area south-east of Kamchatka. Keep it up,
Michael, you have a little bit of credibility left to destroy.

Gordon
Old August 25th 03, 04:20 PM
Yeff

On 25 Aug 2003 15:16:54 GMT, Gordon wrote:

"Never" Another typical Michael lie. The Breakout in April 85 included an
entire regiment of Central Asian-based Backfires, flying out over -- guess
where ? -- the Pacific, in the area south-east of Kamchatka. Keep it up,
Michael, you have a little bit of credibility left to destroy.

Aren't you confusing Backfire's (Tu-22M) and Blackjack's (Tu-160)?

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old August 25th 03, 05:32 PM
Gordon

Aren't you confusing Backfire's (Tu-22M) and Blackjack's (Tu-160)?

LOL Hate to admit I screwed that one up! I read his post as saying Backfire.

v/r
Gordon
Old August 25th 03, 07:58 PM
Mikhail Medved

(Jack Linthicum) wrote in message . com...
(Michael Petukhov) wrote in message . com...
http://gazeta.ru/lenta.shtml?274014#274014 (in russian)

Aug 25, 7:40

commander-in-chief of Russian NAVY admiral Kuroedov told
press that forces of russian pacific ocean fleet have
detected in Saturday and also today foreign submarines
in the area near Kamchatka where large scale manoeuvres of our
fleet are carried out. "We are fully in control of this
situation and prepared to interact with our foreign
"observers" in this way as well. Perhaps those subs
came instead of observers who were invited but did not
came from some countries", he said //Interfax

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

Probably could make this statement 360 days out of the year and it
would be true, no need to actually 'detect' them, they are there.

Deployment of Tu-160s reminds me of the chapter in one of the "We
Joined the Navy" books in which the aviators each get up and recite
their search plan with no sightings. One junior type actually saw a
submarine and is the hit of the debrief.

What are Tu-160s like at low altitude? Good gas mileage, as we used to
say? Fine observation areas, the esplanade deck with its floor to
ceiling glass and comfortable observation points? Get real, 600 knots
is not going to see anything unless the thing wants to be seen. These
are submarines, not submersible boats.

Where did you get an idea that Tu-160 were going to be used for subs
detection or on the low altitude? Do you have anything to say on the
subject? If the answer is decisive "no", why did you bother writing?
Old August 25th 03, 09:42 PM
Jack Linthicum

(Mikhail Medved) wrote in message om...
[...]

http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/87/...123_fleet.html

Well then, maybe you can explain what they are doing ?

"Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area."

The poster juxapositioned the two statements, I didn't. Maybe they are
looking for nice U.S. Navy escort by F-14s or trying to find an
American aircraft carrier?

The following information is based on articles in Nezavisimaya Gazeta
and other Moscow papers May 23-25.

"On May 15, TU-95 and TU-160 strategic bombers and TU-22 long-range
bombers accomplished military training over the Polar and Pacific
oceans. All the bombers had a full battle load: Each T-95 carried 6
X-55 missiles, each TU-160 12 missiles. The X-55 usually is equipped
with a 200-kiloton nuclear warhead. All the bombers simulated hitting
important U.S and U.K. targets."
Old August 26th 03, 08:41 AM
Michael Petukhov

[...]

1) the detected sub is dead sub in a war conditions.
2) the detected spy (and it is in a spy mission) is useful
only for its opponent uploading all kind of false data.

I guess this what admiral Kurioedov means
under "interacting". I do hope they indeed can do it 360 days
per year.

Just for comparison during her last patrol in march-may, 1999 in
the Mediterranean Kursk 5 times could undetecteced approach NATO
ships for a salvo of his deadly Granit missiles. And they did mock attacks
Next they did 3 mock torpedo attacks. All were undetected. This was
a bit unpleasant surprise since the plan was to train also escape
capabilities agaist US battle group. Then they understood that in order
to alarm "high professionals" from US NAVY they had to make full speed
noisy approach to hand gun shot distance. They did just to train their
escape capabilities. 3 times fully seccessfully. This story has been
recently published in memories of the crews who was not aboard the
Kursk in her last mission.

Deployment of Tu-160s reminds me of the chapter in one of the "We
Joined the Navy" books in which the aviators each get up and recite
their search plan with no sightings. One junior type actually saw a
submarine and is the hit of the debrief.

What are Tu-160s like at low altitude? Good gas mileage, as we used to
say? Fine observation areas, the esplanade deck with its floor to
ceiling glass and comfortable observation points? Get real, 600 knots
is not going to see anything unless the thing wants to be seen. These
are submarines, not submersible boats.

Tu-160 searching for US subs.... Well sounds like a joke
of the week. We have other means to search for your subs like
Tu-142, Il-38, Ka-27 etc.

Michael
Old August 26th 03, 05:13 PM
Mikhail Medved

[...]

Why should I?

"Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area."

The poster juxapositioned the two statements, I didn't. Maybe they are
looking for nice U.S. Navy escort by F-14s or trying to find an
American aircraft carrier?

The following information is based on articles in Nezavisimaya Gazeta
and other Moscow papers May 23-25.

"On May 15, TU-95 and TU-160 strategic bombers and TU-22 long-range
bombers accomplished military training over the Polar and Pacific
oceans. All the bombers had a full battle load: Each T-95 carried 6
X-55 missiles, each TU-160 12 missiles. The X-55 usually is equipped
with a 200-kiloton nuclear warhead. All the bombers simulated hitting
important U.S and U.K. targets."

Not a single word about hunting submarines or carrying out low-altitude missions.