Beer (was Worst Jokes At Oshkosh)

Old August 13th 04, 07:27 PM
Russell Kent

Ross Richardson wrote:
There is a very good beer called Shiner Boch and it is made in Texas.

That would be "Bock" and I agree it's quite nice.

Jay Honeck responded:
Agreed. It's not bad for a lighter beer.

"Lighter"? Good God man, most Americans consider it rather heavy-ish
(although Porter and Stout are both heavier). Perhaps you are thinking of
Shiner Blonde (one of my favorites)?

BTW, hope you like the package.

Russell Kent

Old August 13th 04, 09:01 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Right, I couldn't remember how many X's, but I knew it was more than two
(Dos Equis is from another country entirely). Definitely my favorite,
although I haven't had a pint in years. Tough to get here in the US. Years
ago I was cycling between Cardiff and Reading with a couple of clubmates
when we passed a Wadsworth pub. Very rare. The brakes went on instantly
and we consumed a couple of pints before continuing our (now less stable)
journey. Ah, the memories.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"CB" wrote in message

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Just shows you the power of advertising. There is no beer better than a
Wadsworth XXXX fresh from the pump at cellar temperature, but that's
considered "local beer" in the UK.

Bob,
Wadworths 6X is my personal favourite too, I would travel a long way for a
decent proper pint (20oz) or two of the stuff.

Old August 14th 04, 02:51 AM
vincent p. norris

One word on the label had something to do with that. If you shipped your
beer out of state, there was an extra tax levied on it. This tax was

known
as a "premium". So, beer shipped from Wisconsin was marked "Premium"

beer.
Joe Six-Pack thought this meant it had to be extra good. Doh.

Sorry, but that sounds like an Urban Legend. Can you please cite a
source?

A tour guide at the Coors brewery. Or. . . you could try to look it up
yourself and cite a disclaiming source. )

I did. I checked with a guy who makes his living writing about beer.
He disagreed. He said, "No "export" tax involved, just marketing."

vince norris

Rich S.

Old August 14th 04, 03:33 AM
Jay Honeck

BTW, hope you like the package.

Uh oh. Should I open it under water?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 14th 04, 04:02 AM
Rich S.

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message

A tour guide at the Coors brewery. Or. . . you could try to look it up
yourself and cite a disclaiming source. )

I did. I checked with a guy who makes his living writing about beer.
He disagreed. He said, "No "export" tax involved, just marketing."

So, I guess "a tour guide" and "a guy" must be offsetting citations.

Draw.

Rich S.

Old August 15th 04, 03:24 AM
vincent p. norris

A tour guide at the Coors brewery. Or. . . you could try to look it up
yourself and cite a disclaiming source. )

I did. I checked with a guy who makes his living writing about beer.
He disagreed. He said, "No "export" tax involved, just marketing."

So, I guess "a tour guide" and "a guy" must be offsetting citations.

Draw.

Rich S.

Well, Rich, surely you realize a tour guide is a salesman.
I'd be inclined to favor an autonomous writer.

vince norris
Old August 16th 04, 03:19 AM
StellaStar

Ross sez:
There is a very good beer called Shiner Boch and it is made in Texas.

http://www.shiner.com/home.html

And my sister's a friend of the bartender who poured half a Shiner Bock one
evening, found the keg empty, finished it off with a shot of Lone Star...and
amused so many folks he began selling StarBock as a popular drink. Starbucks
showed a typical corporate lack of humor and was told by a judge to chill.

http://www.katu.com/business/story.asp?ID=67936

It's the news: we couldn't make this stuff up!
Old August 16th 04, 11:58 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
.tc.ca...
I was in the UK in 2000; and Foster's was the beer of choice... OK,
"Australia's Finest" is slightly better than Bud, but not by much, and
there're so many good local beers - why Fosters, for Dog's sake?

People drink Fosters because it's pretty much the same as any
other lager and it's cheaper.

The UK has gone through a bit of a crisis a "real ale" over the past
few decades. It's still happening and getting worse. It's like how
someone described the large breweries taking over due to their
marketing in the US. A lot of the smaller breweries here have been
taken over by the big ones and either completely closed or their
most popular brews discontinued.

Young people now drink lager. Real ale has an image problem, it's
seen as the drink of old men sitting around in a near empty pub.

A lot of advertising is done by the lager producers and as a result,
pretty much all young people, and many older people drink either
Carlsburg or Stella Artois...traditional but "trendy" foreign lagers.
Stella, in particular, has a good advertising campaign where the
lager is portrayed to be very expensive and highly prized, coupled
with its Belgian heritage. You can see their latest ad here (which
brings this back on topic if you watch the ad!).
http://www.stellaartois.co.uk/ and click on "advertising".

As far as I can recall, the only television advertising I can remember
for "real beer" was for John Smiths and for Worthingtons but neither
are/were very consistent.

Guinness advertising is another matter entirely.

Paul

Old August 16th 04, 03:33 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message
news:cfq3r6$lf1 As far as I can recall, the only television advertising I
can remember
for "real beer" was for John Smiths and for Worthingtons but neither
are/were very consistent.

Oh, and Boddingtons...

Old August 16th 04, 05:27 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Paul Sengupta wrote:
Young people now drink lager. Real ale has an image problem, it's
seen as the drink of old men sitting around in a near empty pub.

It depends. I've never been a fan of lager. My local (The Bay, Port
Erin) is a real ale pub.

I see plenty of teenagers/early 20s in there.
Drinking real ale.

Of course the pub itself caters to a young audience - there's live
bands, the staff themselves are all young. (There's plenty of old farts
in there too, it seems to have this magical thing that's attractive to
all ages).

Plenty still drink alcopops (which are evil) and lager (which doesn't
taste of anything but CO2), but that's up to them. Most seem to like
proper beer.

Of course, the Isle of Man isn't the UK, and Bushy's (IMHO the best
brewery out of the three we have, and it's not the biggest either) has
managed to project an image here that sells to the younger audience, and
have managed to get themselves strongly associated with the TT thanks to
their merchanidise (t-shirts and the like). It therefore doesn't have
the old-men-in-a-smoky-pub image. Somewhere like here, it's not too
expensive to market well to the locals. However, in the UK, how does
Archers of Swindon compete with the marketing muscle of Foster's? They
can't. But once you get someone drinking proper hand-pulled beer, they
often wonder why they ever drank lager. It's getting them that first
pint that's the trouble.

Most of our pubs have proper beer engines too, there aren't many places
(really just hotel bars and the like) that only do CO2-driven beer.
Chilled, fizzy bitter tastes like cat's ****, and if you're somewhere
where there aren't many pubs with proper beer engines, you'll wind up
drinking lager. There is no subsitute for hand-pulling proper beer.

The other problem with real beer is you have to keep it properly. Many
'non-real ale' pubs keep bitters improperly or don't know how to keep
them, and it tastes terrible as a consequence. Lager on the other hand
is difficult to screw up, so it's easy to get the same bland taste every
time and consistently.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net