Question for the real pilots

Old April 22nd 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default Class B Clearance Question (Was: Question for the real pilots)

I have to admit in looking at sectionals that I don't know how pilots keep
track of where they are in relation to these airspaces if they don't have
moving-map GPS or something.

When you are in a real airplane, you can look around far better than you
can on a computer screen, even with a hat switch. In many small
aircraft you can just about look straight down just by moving your head,
and maybe banking a bit. You can take in the entire vista in a glance,
rather than just one badly placed screen at a time. You can focus on
any direction you want just by looking.

In some areas it can be a challenge, especially down low, but that's why
you do preflight planning and set up waypoints to look for, and
estimated times between them. In other areas, and from higher up, it's
drop dead simple. Although I will admit that, having learned to fly in
California, lakes made great landmarks. I started flying on the East
coast with the same idea, and found that there were lakes everywhere!

It takes some practice in real aircraft, but it's not hard at all.

Jos
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 22nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jose writes:

When you are in a real airplane, you can look around far better than you
can on a computer screen, even with a hat switch. In many small
aircraft you can just about look straight down just by moving your head,
and maybe banking a bit. You can take in the entire vista in a glance,
rather than just one badly placed screen at a time. You can focus on
any direction you want just by looking.

You still have to look at the chart. And you cannot look at the chart and out
the window at the same time.

In some areas it can be a challenge, especially down low, but that's why
you do preflight planning and set up waypoints to look for, and
estimated times between them. In other areas, and from higher up, it's
drop dead simple. Although I will admit that, having learned to fly in
California, lakes made great landmarks. I started flying on the East
coast with the same idea, and found that there were lakes everywhere!

It takes some practice in real aircraft, but it's not hard at all.

Even with perfect visibility outside the aircraft and perfect visibility for
your charts, how do you find airspace boundaries when nothing on the sectional
indicates their exact location?

Old April 22nd 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jose writes:

[...]

Clearly too basic to be considered "on topic" for this group.

Old April 22nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jose writes:

When you are in a real airplane, you can look around far better than you
can on a computer screen, even with a hat switch. In many small
aircraft you can just about look straight down just by moving your head,
and maybe banking a bit. You can take in the entire vista in a glance,
rather than just one badly placed screen at a time. You can focus on
any direction you want just by looking.

You still have to look at the chart. And you cannot look at the chart and out
the window at the same time.

In real life you turn your head; you don't have to push a key to get
a new 2 dimensional limited view.

In real life you get an almost 360 degree view all at once without
any keypresses.

In some areas it can be a challenge, especially down low, but that's why
you do preflight planning and set up waypoints to look for, and
estimated times between them. In other areas, and from higher up, it's
drop dead simple. Although I will admit that, having learned to fly in
California, lakes made great landmarks. I started flying on the East
coast with the same idea, and found that there were lakes everywhere!

It takes some practice in real aircraft, but it's not hard at all.

Even with perfect visibility outside the aircraft and perfect visibility for
your charts, how do you find airspace boundaries when nothing on the sectional
indicates their exact location?

This thead is about class B; in class B you use a TAC, not a sectional.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 23rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DR

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Roy Smith" wrote in message
If you're going to continue to ask inane questions, can't you at least
please try and be a little creative about it?

Why do you consider it inane?

A jump plane orbiting at 12,000 MSL above Central Park receives the
clearance, "Cleared to the LaGuardia Airport". At that point, the jumpers
all jump out. Are the jumpers cleared into the Class B?

Now you're just being silly.

Hmm, could a parachute be an aircraft?

Cheers
Old April 23rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

In real life you turn your head; you don't have to push a key to get
a new 2 dimensional limited view.

You still cannot look at two things at once.

Yet another true but absolutely worthless statement from the master
of worthless statements.

You look at the chart then look out the window. It takes less than
a second to shift one's view.

In real life you get an almost 360 degree view all at once without
any keypresses.

Only about one degree of that field is sharp and clear.

If that's true, you need to see a doctor.

My clear field of vision is about 20 degrees and the peripheral is
about 45 and I'm older than dirt. It takes milliseconds for the eyes
to shift.

But all of this is quite irrelevant.

Real people look at real charts and out real windows and correlate the two
on a daily basis.

Just because you can't chew gum and walk at the same time doesn't
mean the rest of the world is in such pitiful shape.

This thead is about class B; in class B you use a TAC, not a sectional.

The TAC doesn't define the boundaries precisely, either.

Yes, a TAC does. That's why they exist.

Show of hands; is there anyone out there that has a problem with
the Class B boundaries on a TAC besides our resident Microsoft
flying game player with tunnel vision?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 23rd 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Apr 22, 12:00 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

The easy one first...Safety school is where you learn officially to do
things like Audits etc...it is a great school...the best FAA school I
have been to...besides fell in love with OKC (there for a month) but
cant find a job that would let me live there.

When I switch from Houston Approach to Hobby I always play the same
game...ie asking if I am cleared into the Bravo...UNLESS I AM already
in it.

BAsed on this thread I've talked to some people to see, and I think
that if one controller (the radar) clears you then you are "OK"...you
are probably OK if the tower hands you off to the radar...but I alwasy
ask every controller...it is just a habit thing.

IN practice steering clear of the Class B's is easier then one thinks
but it is not as simple as just flying along looking at a map,
particularly with the curves.

Awhile back (some years) I was ferrying a plane that had a non
functioning Xponder on a ferry permit from College Station to
GLS...and I ws VERY VERY Careful to clear the Mode C line. I probably
spent about 15 minutes more then I could have with a moving map, but I
was very very careful.

the most interesting time I have ever had with a radar facility on a
"Class" event actually was at Austin. I was ferrying a "glider" to
CLS in tow...Had I never told them I was ferrying something like this
there is no way that they would have known, having told them it seemed
to just cause a "tilt" in the Force...What was fascinating is that San
Antonio had handed me off and THEY knew I was ferry a glider so I
assume that they told the Austin people...

Some words went back and forth. The days of me standing saluting on
every whim of ATC ended at the 10,000 hour mark (or sooner) in fact I
told the Controller "See the problem is I know the regs better then
you do. We can all met down at the Houston FSDO and have a chat." I
requested a phone number and we pressed on and after landing at
Coulter field had a chat with the Supervisor who had kind words and
seemed to indicate that they would "fix" this...and I let it drop.

Robert

Old April 23rd 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

DR wrote:
Hmm, could a parachute be an aircraft?

Doesn't matter because in the U.S. parachute operations are covered by Part
105 of the FARs. In this case, specifically:

§ 105.25 Parachute operations in designated airspace.
Old April 23rd 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Luke Skywalker writes:

the most interesting time I have ever had with a radar facility on a
"Class" event actually was at Austin. I was ferrying a "glider" to
CLS in tow...Had I never told them I was ferrying something like this
there is no way that they would have known, having told them it seemed
to just cause a "tilt" in the Force...What was fascinating is that San
Antonio had handed me off and THEY knew I was ferry a glider so I
assume that they told the Austin people...

So what was the problem?

Some words went back and forth. The days of me standing saluting on
every whim of ATC ended at the 10,000 hour mark (or sooner) in fact I
told the Controller "See the problem is I know the regs better then
you do. We can all met down at the Houston FSDO and have a chat." I
requested a phone number and we pressed on and after landing at
Coulter field had a chat with the Supervisor who had kind words and
seemed to indicate that they would "fix" this...and I let it drop.

Excellent.