Ron Wantaj?? XL file

Old March 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Jerry Wass

Default Ron Wantaj?? XL file

Hi Ron,

I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
you??

I just reformatted my computer & lost a buncha stuff---is it something I
requested ??

I'm afraid to open it -(no virus protection right now) w/o confirmation.

Thanks ahead--
Jerry Wass

Old March 2nd 04, 01:34 AM
frank

Use an online scan from one of the major players.
Old March 2nd 04, 01:51 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:12:22 -0800, Jerry Wass wrote:

Hi Ron,

I got an E-mail letter & Excell file from ---is that
you??

Nope...I'm
. Good call, being suspicious.

Fun thing is, I'm getting a lot of email from the "wanttaja dot com"
domain...which I own, and know DARN well who has mail aliases to.

Ron Wanttaja

Old March 2nd 04, 07:52 AM
Jan Carlsson

Looks Like it is from here.

http://www.bluebound.com/States/Idaho/sky_diving.htm

/Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Old March 2nd 04, 03:56 PM
JAFO

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800, Jerry Wass
wrote:

:WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
:The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep from my
:computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !! (gotta tie me
:a string on the
ower cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec for it to
:die .
:
:Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a previous
:copy
f your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words to that
:effect)
:
:WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry

You got hit with a virus. It was spoofing the return address -
apparently someone else that was infected had your address and the
parachute people both in their address book.

Find a local shop, have them boot with a clean disk and find what
you're infected with.

As bad as it is, you're lucky that you got a virus that gave you an
immediate indication that something was seriously wrong. The worst
ones quietly destroy all your data in the background without you
knowing.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
Jan Carlsson

The last days, Norton antivirus have been updating the virus definition
every day, normaly it is once a week.

I think it pay off to have a subscription on updates.

I hope I didn't lead you on to something bad. it was not my intention.

Jan.

Old March 2nd 04, 05:09 PM
Jerry Wass

WOW---I'LL NOT DO THAT AGAIN !!
The instant I clicked open, I started getting this rapid beep-beep from my
computer, the screen went ape s**t & I went for the off switch !! (gotta tie me
a string on the
power cord so I can jerk it from the wall quicker than waiting 5 sec for it to
die .

Upon restarting, I get this window (wdws-98) that says " we found a previous
copy
of your files that we can use for start up---press enter " (or words to that
effect)

WHUT HOPPEN??? Jerry

Old March 2nd 04, 09:12 PM
Jerry Wass

No, Jan, I now realize you said --"looks like it came from here" meaning the
Idaho
skyjumpers , not your website.---Just too curious on my part..---And I just
reformatted last weekend!!!--usually my server screens all this stuff, but they
must not look into XL files...Jerry

Old March 3rd 04, 03:22 AM
frank

wrote:

[...]