January 1 soaring at Marfa, Texas USA

Old January 2nd 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default January 1 soaring at Marfa, Texas USA

Several "first of the year" flights in my new ASK-21 in thermals to
8,500' msl. (Marfa airport is almost 5,000' msl.)
Beautiful Lennies 100 miles north over Guadalupe Peak on the New
Mexico - Texas state border.

Old January 2nd 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Britton

On Jan 1, 5:50*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Several "first of the year" flights in my new ASK-21 in thermals to
8,500' msl. *(Marfa airport is almost 5,000' msl.)
Beautiful Lennies 100 miles north over Guadalupe Peak on the New
Mexico - Texas state border.

Hollister had several 1/1/11 flights too.
In the afternoon a gentle wave set up right by the airport - but the
overcast kept us below 5000'
Old January 2nd 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jan 1, 8:40*pm, Jim Britton wrote:
On Jan 1, 5:50*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

Several "first of the year" flights in my new ASK-21 in thermals to
8,500' msl. *(Marfa airport is almost 5,000' msl.)
Beautiful Lennies 100 miles north over Guadalupe Peak on the New
Mexico - Texas state border.

Hollister had several 1/1/11 flights too.
In the afternoon a gentle wave set up right by the airport - but the
overcast kept us below 5000'

LVVSA
21 flights today.. mostly sled rides.. but a few found some thermals
up to 2.5K in mid afternoon.
Morning Temp was 29F, 40F by noon and 43F was the high for the day.
Had to get the sun on the wings and canopy to melt the frost.
Inversion aloft over the city at about 5K AGL estimated in mid
afternoon
Winds aloft for 6000MSL was 9900-7 at mid day.
Late afternoon a surface wind kicked up from the north.
Old January 2nd 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 1, 8:50*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Several "first of the year" flights in my new ASK-21 in thermals to
8,500' msl. *(Marfa airport is almost 5,000' msl.)
Beautiful Lennies 100 miles north over Guadalupe Peak on the New
Mexico - Texas state border.

Middletown NY.
A dozen members did 14 tows in pleasant weather the packed the hanger
for the Winter. One of the nicest Jan 1 days
I can remember.
HNY to all
UH
Old January 3rd 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 2, 8:32*am, wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:50*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

Several "first of the year" flights in my new ASK-21 in thermals to
8,500' msl. *(Marfa airport is almost 5,000' msl.)
Beautiful Lennies 100 miles north over Guadalupe Peak on the New
Mexico - Texas state border.

Middletown NY.
A dozen members did 14 tows in pleasant weather the packed the hanger
for the Winter. One of the nicest Jan 1 days
I can remember.
HNY to all
UH

I stll remember a good soaring day on Dec 21 (the shortest day) at
Marfa. I will be out soon for a ride in the new ASK-21

Bill Snead
6W