A question only a newbie would ask

Old August 17th 04, 02:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Adam K." wrote:

Try this, the next time you see someone exhibiting this
behavior you speak of, go right up to them and give them a BIG hug!
Let me know how it works out. I care.

Hey, Jay, if it's all the same to you, just skip the hug when we meet, ok? I'll
settle for a handshake (especially if it's got some cold glass in it).

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 17th 04, 02:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

Do they allow internet access in asylums?

The evidence indicates that there's a good possibility. Maybe Adam's doctors think
it's beneficial treatment?

Old August 18th 04, 01:55 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:22:36 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

"Adam K." wrote:

Try this, the next time you see someone exhibiting this
behavior you speak of, go right up to them and give them a BIG hug!
Let me know how it works out. I care.

Hey, Jay, if it's all the same to you, just skip the hug when we meet, ok? I'll
settle for a handshake (especially if it's got some cold glass in it).

Ahhhh... You shake the hand without the cold one. Not good to spill
good bee... er ... beverages.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old August 18th 04, 02:27 AM
Jay Honeck

This sounds to me like it could lead to an asocial bitter and unhappy
adulthood. Try this, the next time you see someone exhibiting this
behavior you speak of, go right up to them and give them a BIG hug!
Let me know how it works out. I care.

Only if they happen to be members of the Swedish Bikini Team...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 18th 04, 02:55 AM
Big John

Todd

In the later 30's was in control line racing (60 size, class D). I
built several one bladed props used to win some contests.

I turned the McCoy 60 over 20K with these props.

They could probably make a satisfactory one bladed prop today but it
would have to be longer and/or wider than a two blade and then
probably best on a racing bird not run of mill GA.

Big John

On 13 Aug 2004 08:20:13 -0500, Todd Pattist
wrote:

Corky Scott wrote:

The designer of the prop I mentioned wrote in the article about the
fallacy of single bladed prop. Regardless the dubius advantage of
biting into clean air, the problems associated with the unbalanced
thrust produced by the single blade spinning around, despite it being
counter balanced weightwise, are for all practical purposes
insurmountable.
The prop tries to rip the engine out of it's mounts all the way
around. The imbalance is pretty much impossible to dampen out and
results in monumental vibration.

I was looking at the issue from the theoreticalaerodynamic
sense and whether 15" of separation is enough. I agree
there are lots of practical difficulties with single blade
thrust, but that does not mean they are insurmountable in
all cases. It's not unusual to see them on indoor model
aircraft where efficiency is particularly critical and the
"unbalanced thrust" is low and less of a problem.

I wasn't trying to say that one bladed props are practical
or more desirable, but it seems likely to me that the
aerodynamics of a single blademake it more efficient.
Design is always a trade-off and I have serious doubts that
the extra efficiency is worthwhile in any normal
application.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Old August 18th 04, 03:25 AM
Morgans

"Roger Halstead" wrote

Not good to spill good bee... er ... beverages.

Bee Juice? You drink cold honey? Yuck! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old August 18th 04, 06:40 AM
Brian Burger

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Jay Honeck wrote:

Mistake number one. Almost any serious bicyclist is not going to let
some buss driver with or without training load their bicycle. You
don't play around with bikes of this class just like you don't walk up
and pick up some musicians axe. (Guitar)

I don't think they want individual riders standing in the street, in front
of an idling bus, fiddling with a bike rack that may already contain one (or
more) other bikes.

shrug That's how it works here - you're expected to load/unload your own
bike; the drivers will help if you ask, though.

And yes, the racks get used, 365 days of the year.

In this regard, I agree with them. The liability insurance issue here
would be even worse than it already is.

I'm in Canada; we have (marginally) saner lawyers, I guess. In any case,
nobody's died or sued yet, that I know of.

Brian.
Old August 18th 04, 07:32 PM
ET

"Morgans" wrote in news:10i5fe9b3ei8kb9
@corp.supernews.com:

"Roger Halstead" wrote

Not good to spill good bee... er ... beverages.

Bee Juice? You drink cold honey? Yuck! g

Mmmmmmm Mead... -- Cold honey in a glass. (well femented just a little)

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old August 18th 04, 11:54 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:32:11 GMT, ET wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in news:10i5fe9b3ei8kb9
:

"Roger Halstead" wrote

Not good to spill good bee... er ... beverages.

Bee Juice? You drink cold honey? Yuck! g

Mmmmmmm Mead... -- Cold honey in a glass. (well femented just a little)

Hmmm... Must be from the UK:-))
NO.... They drink "Stout" which is distilled cough syrup with more
than a dash of bitters.

(Went partying with a Brit, Welchman (sp?), Scott, and an Irishman)