Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 6th 03, 07:27 AM
Tom S.

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message
Jim Weir wrote:
There was a young lady named Sydney
Who drank 'til she ruined her kidney.
It shriveled and shrank
As she sat there and drank
But she had a good time doin' it, didn't she?

I love it! Did you just make it up? One
effort deserves another:

There was an old pilot named Jim
Who flew off to Oshkosh on a whim
He got in a fight
with a Blonde one hot night
Now the Blonde has a husband named Jim

And next time you're in St. Louis for gosh sakes
give me a chance to ruin your kidneys!

Damn...I was at Spirit of St. Louis on Tuesday for a six hour meeting...

Old August 6th 03, 01:37 PM
Aubrey Adams

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .

I kept stumbling across Australians and New Zealanders. Lots of them -
everywhere you went ...there they were. It got to be kind of spooky after
awhile.

Yep - hehehe - we turn up everywhere!

:-)

After Canadians and Germans us Aussies are usually the biggest "out of town"
contingent at Oshkosh.

Wasn't me this year though :-(

Spent an unforgettable 5 full days there in 2000 though - ahh heaven.

It's been great to read everyone's reports for 2003. At this stage 2005
looks like it could happen - so here's hoping. If it does come off a night
at Jay's place will also be on the itinerary.

Aubrey

Old August 6th 03, 02:24 PM
Dave Butler

Just want to add my thanks to Jay for organizing the rec.aviation get-together,
and my apology for not making it. Maybe next year. Do it again, please, Jay?

My story in brief: arrived Tuesday afternoon before the airshow, amazed at the
number of planes there. It seemed more than any OSH I've been to before. I was
camped two down from the hole-in-the-fence by Friar Tuck's.

Missed Jim Weir's forum, but got to Richard Kaplan's, which was very well done.
Thanks, Richard.

Favorite show airplane: the Hughes Racer.

My tent leaked buckets. Memo-to-self: get new tent before next year.

Left Thursday around noon for my brother's in northern Michigan. Left there on
Friday afternoon, only to be stopped by tstorms in southern Michigan. Did an
unscheduled remain-overnight in Lansing.

What a great time! Now trying to catch up on work :-(

DGB

Jay Honeck wrote:
Conclusion:
Bring more money and spend more time!

A) It is not possible to bring enough money.
B) It is not possible to spend enough time.

: )

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367
We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Old August 6th 03, 09:37 PM
Jack Allison

Hey, I remembered you -- just not your name!

Seriously, as soon as someone started passing around a "sign-in" sheet, I
immediately stopped trying to remember names -- since I *knew* that I'd

have
it written down for later review. Ha!

Ah, the fool proof plan failed. Don't you hate it when that happens? At
least somebody had the good sense to think of name tags.

Hey, my plane even leaked! The sheepskin on the co-pilot's seat was
soaked...

Suddenly, Mary is flying the departure and Jay is sitting on plastic bags...

Luckily, my tent did not, as I was up on a 6 inch thick air bed.
Some water did pool some down into a low spot...where my poor son happened
to be sleeping. He was miserable!

Good strategy, kids in the low spot. The tricky part at OSH is trying to
dry out a sleeping bag between storms. You walk outside after a seminar or
after going through the booths, see nasty dark clouds, hear a thunder clap
and *know* you won't make it back to your camp before it starts raining. My
bag finally dried out after about three days. Felt like I was sleeping in a
sponge the first night after it got wet. Ah, but it was all worth it
though. I'm hooked and already thinking about next year.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 7th 03, 12:18 AM
Morgans

"Jack Allison" wrote

The tricky part at OSH is trying to
dry out a sleeping bag between storms.

The trick at OSH is to not let that sleeping bag get wet in the first
place.g

Really, with a queen sized air bed, it isn't that hard, keeping the bag out
of the water.

Keeping the clothes out of the water has been the hard part for me!
--
---Jim in NC---

Old August 7th 03, 02:32 AM
Jay Honeck

Really, with a queen sized air bed, it isn't that hard, keeping the bag
out
of the water.

Keeping the clothes out of the water has been the hard part for me!

Exactly!

Mary and I were "high and dry" on a self-inflating queen sized air bed (the
best damned camping investment we have EVER made, by the way) -- but my
clothes bag was sitting in a puddle...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 7th 03, 02:38 AM
Jay Honeck

It's been great to read everyone's reports for 2003. At this stage 2005
looks like it could happen - so here's hoping. If it does come off a

night
at Jay's place will also be on the itinerary.

Aussies and Kiwis are always welcome at the inn!

This year Mary and I kept running into South Africans, for some reason.
This group had special hats, back-packs and shirts made up -- and there sure
was a BUNCH of them.

They were pretty quiet, though -- not like folks from "down under" at all...

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 7th 03, 05:41 AM
Jack Allison

In our case, the sleeping bags were on an air mattress...mine must have been
touching a part of the tent that leaked. Oh, and the trick for keeping the
clothes dry? Keep then in the plane...assuming, of course, that the plane
doesn't leak.

Old August 7th 03, 06:48 AM
Jay Honeck

B) It is not possible to spend enough time.

I must respectfully disagree to the (B). I just spent 7 days (Sunday thru
Sunday) and can tell you that I spent enough time. My feet and legs said

that
I had spent enough time by Friday.

Well, if we're going to talk about physical limitations, I must admit that I
was toast by Saturday. By Sunday, I was still able to get around the
grounds, but only by ignoring everything my calf muscles, feet and lower
back were telling me. It was really tough hiking back to the bus for the
last time, mostly because Mary wanted to beat the weather and that meant
almost jogging through the warbirds area back to the bus stop. (We were
afraid we wouldn't get out ahead of the airshow...)

But that doesn't mean I wanted to leave. What I REALLY wanted to do was
just sit my butt in a chair for a day and watch airplanes -- but there was
just no way to do that while surrounded with so many goodies! Even after 21
Oshkosh Fly-Ins, I'm still just a big kid, I guess....

Occasionally you'll see some older gentlemen who always seem to be sitting
near their planes in the North 40 campground. During the first part of the
week, I look at these guys with pity. By the end of the week, I look at
them with envy.

I always wonder if their inactivity is by choice, or by force of
circumstance...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 04:14 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Morgans" post/the/group.here.net wrote:

"Jack Allison" wrote

The tricky part at OSH is trying to
dry out a sleeping bag between storms.

The trick at OSH is to not let that sleeping bag get wet in the first
place.g

Really, with a queen sized air bed, it isn't that hard, keeping the bag out
of the water.

Keeping the clothes out of the water has been the hard part for me!
--
---Jim in NC---

The best trick is to have relatives or friends who live in Oshkosh.

We got there on Tuesday, got parked in the Far South 40. Went back on
Wed. AM to see if we could move to a better parking spot. I had Linda
save a spot in the Classic area while another friend and I went to get
the plane. Along the way, I suggested that we try a "legal" move and
contacted the Vintage volunteers.

They gave me a prime spot, just a few planes away from the
giraffe-painted Sikorsky S-39 and the zebra-painted S-38. We went back
to Linda and told her that we had a better parking spot and to meet us
at the Aeroshell motorhome.

It was a good thin that we released her, as it began to pour rain just
after we got to the plane! The old Johnson Rocket got a prime spot.

I got to see the ill-fated Hughes Racer (wht a magnificent piece of
art!). I think that it was scheduled to fly on Thursday, but the rain
interrupted that demo. I was shocked to read this week that both it and
Jim Wright were lost in Yellowstone Park. My condolences to everybody.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.