Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 8th 03, 03:55 PM
Margy Natalie

Jack Allison wrote:. The tricky part at OSH is trying to

dry out a sleeping bag between storms. You walk outside after a seminar or
after going through the booths, see nasty dark clouds, hear a thunder clap
and *know* you won't make it back to your camp before it starts raining. My
bag finally dried out after about three days. Felt like I was sleeping in a
sponge the first night after it got wet. Ah, but it was all worth it
though. I'm hooked and already thinking about next year.

The "trick" is to hang things inside!! We have a HUGE tent (Eureka - "The
Lodge") that has a sleeping room and a porch (no floor). Both rooms have huge
windows and we keep the ones in the sleeping room closed at ALL times we are
away from the tent. Both rooms have rings you can hang ropes from for drying
things and for hammocks for stuff you want to keep off the ground. We do string
a laundry line outside also, but only for things we have duplicates of (towels,
etc.). We have a queen size air mattress so the bags don't get wet. I also
pack a couple of days clothes in plastic bags. Sometimes I just leave a bunch
of things in the plane for dryness sake. You really can stay high and dry in
OSH with a bit of advance planning.

Margy

Old August 8th 03, 06:10 PM
Michael Pilla

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message

[...]

I'll second Margy's comments about hanging things up. I even was able to do
this in a small, backpack tent that I carried with me on a business trips
some years and was able to steal a couple of days at OSH. In my case, I
just had to be sure that nothing touched the rip-stop fabric (avoid wicking,
obviously), but it was doable even in a small tent. In my larger tent, it
was a piece of cake. Thanks for the reminder, Margy.

As an aside, there's nothing like trying to sleep in a tiny, orange rip-stop
nylon tent when lightning is all around. You would swear that the tent blew
away and the light part of the "show" is right above you. Eventually, I got
used to it. :-)

Michael Pilla

Old August 8th 03, 06:39 PM
Morgans

[...]

My trick is a small rubbermaid type of organizer, then sit the suitcase
(soft sides) up on top of that. My tent is too small for hanging much.
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 8th 03, 06:59 PM
Montblack

("Michael Pilla" wrote)
snip
As an aside, there's nothing like trying to sleep in a tiny, orange

rip-stop
nylon tent when lightning is all around. You would swear that the tent

blew
away and the light part of the "show" is right above you. Eventually, I

got
used to it. :-)

One word: Dorms :-)

--
Montblack

Old August 8th 03, 08:06 PM
Jay Honeck

One word: Dorms :-)

It's funny -- I've had several people who stayed in the dorms come to me,
offering their sincere and heartfelt condolences for our "terrible time"
spent camping at Oshkosh this year. (We lost our tent in the first
storm...)

As wet as the week was, I still wouldn't have traded places with you. To be
able to wake up on the field each morning and see 11,000 airplanes parked
wingtip-to-wingtip, as far as the eye can see -- man, there's nothing else
like it.

When it comes to Oshkosh, I'm drip-dry!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 08:25 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's funny -- I've had several people who stayed in the dorms come to me,
offering their sincere and heartfelt condolences for our "terrible time"
spent camping at Oshkosh this year. (We lost our tent in the first
storm...)

Lost your tent??? Wow! As in "...where did our tent go?"???

As wet as the week was, I still wouldn't have traded places with you. To be
able to wake up on the field each morning and see 11,000 airplanes parked
wingtip-to-wingtip, as far as the eye can see -- man, there's nothing else
like it.

When it comes to Oshkosh, I'm drip-dry!

Me, too! I tried staying the dorms the last 2 years after getting thoroughly
soaked in my tent 3 years ago, but I missed waking up on the field. There's
nothing like it. I got soaked in my tent again this year, but I'll be back for
another soaking next year.

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early morning,
though (what happened to that?), and the the guy that used to fire up his AT6
the second the airport opened in the morning. I didn't hear either of those this
year.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Dave

Old August 8th 03, 08:51 PM
Margy Natalie

Dave Butler wrote:

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early morning,
though (what happened to that?), and the the guy that used to fire up his AT6
the second the airport opened in the morning. I didn't hear either of those this
year.

You should have been camping in the show plane area. We heard him loud and clear.

Margy

Old August 8th 03, 10:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Lost your tent??? Wow! As in "...where did our tent go?"???

No, as in "Holy crap, how did my tent get lifted up onto my wing!?"

I came back from spending the day shopping to find it laying over the
starboard wing. One of the one-inch aluminum poles was actually bent over
the trailing edge of the wing. (Those wings are a lot tougher than they
look.)

The wind actually snapped off three plastic stakes, and threw the tent --
gear inside and all! -- about ten feet. We found our ground cloth three
rows down, wrapped around the nosegear of a Skyhawk...

I kinda miss the guy that used to yodel on the PA system in the early

morning,
though (what happened to that?)

???

We heard him everyday! And we were waaaay out by the new Hilton.

Maybe that mid-range "pilot's deafness" is creeping up on you, eh?

(I wouldn't have minded not hearing those first departures at 6:22 AM...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 10:23 PM
Jay Honeck

So that's what I heard from row 538! Couldn't figure it out since it
kinda
sounded like the gal singing the national anthem (at least on Tuesday's
airshow) trying to time the ending right.

That was hilarious! I've seen her "miss" a few times over the years, but
not *that* badly...

(Didja notice the next day? She had to sing it double-time to get it done
before the flag hit the ground!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 03, 10:41 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
One word: Dorms :-)

It's funny -- I've had several people who stayed in the dorms come to me,
offering their sincere and heartfelt condolences for our "terrible time"
spent camping at Oshkosh this year. (We lost our tent in the first
storm...)

As wet as the week was, I still wouldn't have traded places with you. To

be
able to wake up on the field each morning and see 11,000 airplanes parked
wingtip-to-wingtip, as far as the eye can see -- man, there's nothing else
like it.

When it comes to Oshkosh, I'm drip-dry!
--
Jay Honeck