Oshkosh 2003 Redux

Old August 9th 03, 11:39 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
I understand that if you want a reservation in the Super 8 on the field
there, you basically need to have the previous reservation holder leave it
to you in your will.

Actually, I was told that on January 1st, at 6 PM, they start taking
reservations for the fly-in. First come, first served.

The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
---------------- hit any user to continue ----------------
Old August 10th 03, 02:33 AM
Jay Honeck

The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

I'll bet they were sold out by 6:15 PM, depending upon how many incoming
phone lines they can handle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 10th 03, 10:34 PM
Fitzair4

Jay & everone else at the North Forty Party.
This was my 34th time at the EAA fly-in. But I live 100 miles south of OSH.
Jay, you should have given the extra beer to the Charcoal Pit Bar.
They would have stored it for you until next year!!!!!!!!!

Monday 11:30 am, the last day, the ceiling was at about 300 agl. We were on
the Camera tower plateform south of the Warbird area, east of Lancair displays.
Two F 16 took off to the North and rotated, banked to the West, 1 over our
heads 150 ft and 200 ft. South of me.
The other 100 ft north of the camera tower. Their after burners were at full
thrust with a very long flame. Many shouted "COVER YOUR EARS". Well, my left
ear didn't ring, but throbbed for, 4 hours.
People in the buildings, said they just shook. WHAT A SIGHT, to have a buss job
like that.

Now take your calulator and add up all the cars, campers, airplanes, commerical
displays, wallets and purses and let us know what is the total worth of Oshkosh
2003 airport in the 7 days????????????????

Larry Fitzgerald

Old August 10th 03, 11:07 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old August 10th 03, 11:16 PM
Morgans

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
The guy who arranged our accomodations this time called them on January
1st at 8pm, and they laughed at him.

Well, shoot -- if we sell out for University of Iowa Homecoming a year

in
advance, what can you expect from the Super 8, adjacent to the world's
largest airshow?

It's a shame that the hotels sell out so quickly. That's the only way
I'd be willing to even consider going to Oshkosh. I'm not camping and
I'm not staying in a dorm. The few times I went to Sun-n-Fun, it was
awesome, but only because I could go back to a nice air conditioned room,
with a nice King size bed.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Rent a nice big RV with a generator. Find a way to go!
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 10th 03, 11:33 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.owning Morgans wrote:
Rent a nice big RV with a generator. Find a way to go!

Yea. We've considered doing that, too. That may be the way to go.

-- Jay

__!__

Old August 11th 03, 12:20 AM
john smith

Mike Adams wrote:
(sniP)
Thursday we dried everything out,
re-staked the tent, added some additional guy lines and it rained all Thursday
night but no problems.

AHA! There you have it! Read any backpacking magazine, and they will
tell you to add additional guys to the fly at a distance (not in close)
to withstand heavy winds. The distance from the side of the tent creates
a lower angle on the guy, giving the stake more holding power (surface
area) against the force.
Old August 11th 03, 12:25 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
Ah, at least *somebody* remembered me and my brother. Must have been the
schnapps that affected Jay's memory. :-)

Note for N40Fest04... eat first, drink after (more, longer).
BYOSB (bring your own sleeping bag)
Old August 11th 03, 01:14 AM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Jack Allison wrote:
: So that's what I heard from row 538! Couldn't figure it out since it kinda
: sounded like the gal singing the national anthem (at least on Tuesday's
: airshow) trying to time the ending right.

Huh, row 538? Funny, that's where I was, too... Grey, red and blue Mooney
(N5636F) with the gigantic waterlogged tent out front. Tues & Wed only.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)