A Beautiful Easter Flight

Old March 29th 05, 02:44 PM
Jay Honeck

I think you will find this to be regional. Nowhere close to 50% of the
people
around here smoke. Smoking is much, much more evident when I go back
South.

Well, that's the funny thing, George -- you don't see it around here,
either. Remember, we're a tight-knit, upscale, college town, with a slew
of highly educated, highly paid professionals.

But get 'em out on a getaway weekend, away from work and family, and you see
all sorts of things.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 29th 05, 03:56 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

Even though recent
reports put smoking at somewhere around 30% of the adult population, I
think it's closer to 50%, especially if you factor in the "social
smokers" -- those who only smoke when they drink.

I think you will find this to be regional. Nowhere close to 50% of the
people
around here smoke. Smoking is much, much more evident when I go back
South.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.

I'm in the South and even in places where it used to be close to 100% as
little as 10 years ago (bar at the golf course) it is down to less than 20%.

On the other end of the economic spectrum I see a reasonably large number of
job applicants every week and within that group I'd say it is down by more
than half from when I started interacting with that group five years ago.
I'd put today's smoker rate at about 3 out of 10.

Gig

Old March 29th 05, 04:37 PM
Jose

But get 'em out on a getaway weekend, away from work and family, and you see
all sorts of things.

All it takes is for one person to light up one of those smelly filthy
things and the whole room fills with wreched smoke. It =seems= as if
everyone is smoking and has been for years, but it ain't necessarily so.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 29th 05, 05:08 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, that's the funny thing, George -- you don't see it around here,
either. Remember, we're a tight-knit, upscale, college town, with a slew
of highly educated, highly paid professionals.

But get 'em out on a getaway weekend, away from work and family, and you see
all sorts of things.

Unless hostelery in Iowa is vastly different from places I've lived, you aren't
seeing them -- your customers are from elsewhere.

Old March 29th 05, 07:07 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
It's a good article, in a great magazine. Smithsonian Air & Space is,
IMHO, one of the best out there.

Makes me want to fly back to Anoka in May, for the annual shin-dig!

Well you're always welcome. However, I thought you had something going on
around May 20th - 22nd?

BTW, the D.A.D. event this year (Discover Aviation Days) will be a mish-mash
of 'independent' offerings - like a neighborhood garage sale.

D.A.D is on hold for this year, after last year's disastrous rain-out, plus
we had some sponsor/underwriter pull-outs. There is still going to be an
(unofficial) open house at ANE this spring - complete with pancake
breakfast, warbirds, etc.

The Lindbergh Foundation event at Golden Wings Museum just happens to fall
on this same weekend. So we lose the structure of D.A.D. but gain Burt Rutan
and friends. g

http://www.lindberghfoundation.org/events/thisyear.html

We're having two hangar dances that weekend at Golden Wings Museum - Friday
for the above Lindbergh event, then Saturday night will be our annual (ANE
open house) Big Band Hangar Dance.

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Airshows.htm

http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html

Montblack

Old March 29th 05, 07:29 PM
Montblack

(Martin Hotze" wrote)
[x] send pics!

Marty Marty Marty

Isn't there already an excellent (FREE) German site out there for you?

..)

BTW, this (FREE) site used to be much cleaner (looking) and easier to
navigate - call it fun, untill someone came along and mucked it up. Web page
designers (!!!) They live in their own little worlds sometimes.

Montblack

Old March 29th 05, 09:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Well you're always welcome. However, I thought you had something
going on
around May 20th - 22nd?

Oh, yeah. That's my nephew's wedding out in Seattle.

Since he moved the wedding date so that I could attend, I suppose he
wouldn't understand if I told him I was spending the weekend in Anoka
with you, eh?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 29th 05, 09:26 PM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:

It's a good article, in a great magazine. Smithsonian Air & Space is, IMHO,
one of the best out there.

Yep, definitely agree. A&S gets read pretty quickly after it arrives.
Prior to getting my PPL, it was the only magazine I received. Now,
there's AOPA, EAA, Cherokee Pilot's Association, *and* A&S. Mmmmm, good
reading.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Buying Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 30th 05, 04:12 AM
Dave

My pleasure...

Seems I lose a little piece every time I hear of of accidents,
especially fatal ones.

I have to remember why we choose to do this, and why we do it again.

There is risk in all we do, but I distinctly prefer to manage my risks
myself..

I wish we could share the experience of flight with everyone, but it's
not possible.

So, the best thing I can think of to do is take a friend flying when I
can..

My condolences and prayers to the families.

Dave

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:42:24 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

As many time as I have exercised this "privilege" , I never tire of
the ground falling away under me ...

Beautiful, man. In the face of three (THREE!) fatal accidents in the last
48 hours -- all within 60 miles of Iowa City -- I needed that.

Thanks!

Old March 30th 05, 04:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Unless hostelery in Iowa is vastly different from places I've lived, you
aren't seeing them -- your customers are from elsewhere.

Well, yes and no. In the winter, a large portion of our business is from
getaway weekends for "locals" (i.e.: Within 50 miles.)

When you've got 15 hot tub suites, that's a natural.

In the summer and fall, the guests are from all over, thanks to pilots and
Big Ten football.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA