Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

Old May 3rd 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Nevada governor to bill Fossett widow for search expenses

"NW_Pilot" wrote
And Who Went looking for Lori Love????? The African countries looked for about
1/2 a day!

Sad story to hear. I hope she turns up, somehow. She sounds like quite a
character!

Do you have one of the Spot messenger/trackers?
http://www.findmespot.com/AboutUs.aspx It sounds like something that a ferry
pilot should not be without. The function of being able to tell where the
latest fix sent 10 minutes previous to being forced down (even if you were
disabled and unable to send a message, or your ELT did not go off) would give
searchers a place to start looking. As far as that goes, it looks like
something every pilot should consider owning and using.

I wonder why it says it will not work in much of Africa? It might not have not
done any good, in this case.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 3rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote:

Do you have one of the Spot messenger/trackers?
http://www.findmespot.com/AboutUs.aspx It sounds like something that a ferry
pilot should not be without. The function of being able to tell where the
latest fix sent 10 minutes previous to being forced down (even if you were
disabled and unable to send a message, or your ELT did not go off) would give
searchers a place to start looking. As far as that goes, it looks like
something every pilot should consider owning and using.

I wonder why it says it will not work in much of Africa? It might not have not
done any good, in this case.
--
Jim in NC

Get a 406 MHz PLB with integrated GPS. Should work worldwide.

One example:

http://tinyurl.com/66j6gr

Ron Lee
Old May 3rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Lee" wrote

Get a 406 MHz PLB with integrated GPS. Should work worldwide.

The only problem I see with that, is if you crash or have a midair (or something
else totally unexpected) and it fails to go off, or gets destroyed, or the
antenna gets ripped off (or one of the other dozen things that keep it from
going off) nobody is going to have any idea where to start looking.

If you have the spot finder, and have someone that can access the tracking
function, SAR will have a place to start looking, even if it (or you) are unable
to transmit with an ELT or the spot finder.

Add to that all of the things that the spot can do with it's messaging
functions, and you have a unit that can do lots of things that an ELT can never
do.

It seems like the spot finder can be a good supplement for communications while
traveling, when a cell phone can't work.

All I'm saying is that for some people, this seems like a remarkable gizzmo.
YMMV.

Unless, of course, you happen to be in South Africa. g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 4th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Lee" wrote

Get a 406 MHz PLB with integrated GPS. Should work worldwide.

The only problem I see with that, is if you crash or have a midair (or something
else totally unexpected) and it fails to go off, or gets destroyed, or the
antenna gets ripped off (or one of the other dozen things that keep it from
going off) nobody is going to have any idea where to start looking.

All valid points. My PLB will be activated in air if possible if the
engine quits. I use flight following.

An APRS provides the track functionality of Spot and no cost once you
get the equipment.

http://tinyurl.com/624vv6

Any of these solutions are likely far better than your standard 121.5
MHz ELT

Ron Lee

Old May 5th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

NW_Pilot wrote:
And Who Went looking for Lori Love????? The African countries looked for
about 1/2 a day!

What do you expect? It was Africa.