Sailplane Racing Video - Idea's?

Old May 13th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default Sailplane Racing Video - Idea's?

I'm attending the Region 10 North contest at Cherry Valley, AR here in
a few weeks. I'm planning on making a big video there. I could sure
use some ideas from you good folks. I'm not just making the video for
me to enjoy, but for everyone and anyone.

Myself and a friend now have accumalated a couple of cameras, mounts
for wings, rudders, cockpits, etc, tripods, computer editing software,
vocal extraction software for music...the whole nine yards. I'm in
the process now of writing out a storyline. I even got a guy who
sounds (and looks) identical to Sean Connery who will be the
background voice. I want to capture the fun times, dramatic finishes,
etc and make the viewer feel as if they are really there.

Here's a clip of what I made in Perry, SC....honestly it's something I
just kindof threw together in about 1 hour using the editing
software. I'll spend a whole lot more time with the upcoming one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDl9M...ayer_embedded#!

Sooo, I could use some ideas in addition to what I already have. I
hope to make a sizeable movie, less than 30 minutes and post it to
YouTube as a part 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3. This will not a be a
cheesy crap shoot of a movie. I hope to capture the BAD-A$$ aspects
of racing.

What would be some cool shots to capture?

Old May 13th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 13, 12:17�pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
[...]

Scot ,

As a matter of interest will you be participating in the contest ?
If you plan to compete and take air to air shots I would hope you are
doing the filming from a 2 seater while someone else is flying it .
As a contest flyer I know how much concentration it takes to fly
alongside and close to other gliders without worrying about pilots
doing something besides flying their glider ,

Ron.
Old May 13th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Have you seen "Gladiators of the Sky"? Could give you some ideas!

bob

Old May 13th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

some odd poetry, Bee Gees music, and multiple shots of land outs are
always a good combination
Old May 13th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 13, 1:42*pm, Tony wrote:
some odd poetry, Bee Gees music, and multiple shots of land outs are
always a good combination

boy meets girl
boy leads race
boy loses girl
boy lands out
boy gets girl back
boy wins the day and race

Throw in Tom Cruise and any of the number of leading ladies and you
get:
Top Gun meets Days of Thunder, etc, etc, etc

Pez duz Arkanzaz!!!!

Old May 13th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On May 13, 2:42*pm, Tony wrote:
some odd poetry, Bee Gees music, and multiple shots of land outs are
always a good combination

And don't forget the hot bikini clad wing runners!

Pete
Old May 14th 10, 11:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On May 13, 5:18*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On May 13, 1:42*pm, Tony wrote:

some odd poetry, Bee Gees music, and multiple shots of land outs are
always a good combination

boy meets girl
* boy leads race
* *boy loses girl
* * *boy lands out
* * * *boy gets girl back
* * * * * boy wins the day and race

Throw in Tom Cruise and any of the number of leading ladies and you
get:
Top Gun meets Days of Thunder, etc, etc, etc

Pez duz Arkanzaz!!!!

hmm what is the Soaring equivalent of "Rubbin is racin"?
Old May 14th 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Great ideas so far. I believe I can meet all of those
requests....except for the odd poetry, that ain't my style. Bikini
Girls....I'll see if my younger sister wouldn't mind waving a
checkered flag at the front of the grid to start off the race. But I
will tell you, we strategically placed her in charge of selling some
sandwiches and drinks to the flight line for a reason, our club could
use the extra change.

Rubbin is Racin'...I love it!

Hmmm....I'll try to think of some quotes that have to do with
"leaching" instead of "rubbin." There sure is a whole lot of
similarities between Sailplane Racing and Stock Car Racing. Everyone
shows up to a race early to test there machines. We all stay in
RV's. We travel to different races. Perry, SC would be the
equivilant of the Daytona 500. New Castle, VA would be the equivilant
of Bristol, TN (too many wrecks). We have a Bill Elliot on the US
Team like the Nascar Bill Elliot.
Old May 14th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On May 14, 11:10*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
[...]

Better make it a green flag to start the race.

leaching would be more akin to drafting.

would be pretty easy to recreate the ice cream scene in days of
thunder.

Pilot "I need to land"
Crew "You can't do that, we're eating ice cream"
Pilot lands anyway and gets into fistfight with crew

grand prix racing is probably more akin to NASCAR.
Old May 16th 10, 10:38 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Alexander[_2_] View Post
[...]

If you don't want people to become comatose within the first 5 min (as in most US made soaring videos) then put it to some inspirational music and have lots of shots of scantily clad women, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-ZIILtI2I. And try to keep the geezers to a minimum.