I'm a real PILOT!

Old March 31st 04, 08:26 PM
CFLav8r

Default I'm a real PILOT!

I'm a real pilot, am I not?
I ask this question to the entire aviation NG, to find out if you consider
yourself a real pilot.
The question came as I was returning from my mailbox this morning only to
have my neighbor stop and ask me "why if your always getting aviation stuff
(EAA magazine came this morning) in the mail do you not become a real
pilot?". And to this I answered "I am a real pilot".
He then said "No your not, you don't fly the big planes".
Well considering the source of the question, I just said just because I have
a drivers license doesn't mean I want to drive a truck or bus.

This isn't the first time that I have had someone not consider me to be a
real pilot.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
And what if any was your response?
Or do you not consider yourself a real pilot?

David (KORL)
PP - ASEL -Instrument student

Old March 31st 04, 08:43 PM
Jim

After getting my PPL, then my IR, then my Commercial, then my CFI, I finally
got a tail wheel endorsement in a SuperCub. And not just a 2 day seminar
type, but some very complete and serious training from a lifelong family
friend and ag pilot/CFII/AI who grew up drinking av-gas and breathing the
exhaust of radial engines. Now, sometimes I feel like a real pilot, but
when ever my head gets too big, I just remember how fast a taildragger can
squash even the biggest ego.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old March 31st 04, 08:50 PM
Don Tuite

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:26:03 GMT, "CFLav8r"
wrote:

This isn't the first time that I have had someone not consider me to be a
real pilot.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
And what if any was your response?
Or do you not consider yourself a real pilot?

Nobody's asked me, but if they did, I'd show 'em my watch and my
sunglasses.

Don

Old March 31st 04, 09:05 PM
Brad Z

Nobody's asked me, but if they did, I'd show 'em my watch and my
sunglasses.

Perfect! I might add a leather bomber jacket too.

Old March 31st 04, 09:18 PM
Nigel T Peart

"Brad Z" wrote in message
newswFac.148621$_w.1659173@attbi_s53...
Nobody's asked me, but if they did, I'd show 'em my watch and my
sunglasses.

Perfect! I might add a leather bomber jacket too.

.....and I would add a grey or orange boiler suit with lots of sad badges....

Old March 31st 04, 09:58 PM
Peter Duniho

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
. com...
The question came as I was returning from my mailbox this morning only to
have my neighbor stop and ask me "why if your always getting aviation

stuff
(EAA magazine came this morning) in the mail do you not become a real
pilot?". [...]

This isn't the first time that I have had someone not consider me to be a
real pilot.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've never heard that before. However, while I too have the occasional
neighbor who's an idiot, I avoid talking to the ones that are. Maybe I just
do a better job staying away from people dumb enough to say something like
that.

From a child, I could understand. But a full-grown adult? That's just
stupid. Life's too short to spend any time at all worrying about someone
who says that sort of thing. They don't deserve your consideration. I'm
not even sure why I'm bothering to reply to this thread, that's how silly it
is.

You know you're a real pilot, and it doesn't matter whether someone else
doesn't see that you are. That reflects on them, not you.

Pete

Old March 31st 04, 09:59 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I was in the Aero Club bar the other week, after flying in for the weekend.
I had the full gear on: my Akubra style hat with the airplane pins all
around the brim, the fighter jacket with the pens on the sleeve, the wings
prominently stitched over the left pocket, flying boots, flight bag next to
me, scarf on the table. A gorgeous Michele Pfeiffer lookalike comes over
and we get to chatting. "Are you a real pilot?" she asks. "I like to think
I am," I reply. "I love flying and fly as often as I can. I have all the
licenses, and I have a good time." She says she's not a pilot. Then, for
some reason, she blurts out: "I'm a lesbian. I think of women in the
morning when I wake up. I think about women at breakfast, at lunch, at
dinner, and at every waking moment in between. I even dream about women,"
she says. She then says good-bye and leaves me to contemplate the world. A
little while later a man and his wife come past and ask me: "Are you a real
pilot?" I answer: "I used to think I was, but I just found out that I am a
lesbian!"

Old March 31st 04, 10:03 PM
Gilles KERMARC

CFLav8r wrote:

I was returning from my mailbox this morning only to
have my neighbor stop and ask me "why if your always getting aviation stuff
(EAA magazine came this morning) in the mail do you not become a real
pilot?". And to this I answered "I am a real pilot".
He then said "No your not, you don't fly the big planes".

Doesn't sound like a real neighbour to me... :-)

Old March 31st 04, 10:05 PM
Jay Beckman

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
[...]

Damn,

Ruined another perfectly good monitor...ROFL!!

Great Post!!

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD
8.9 Hrs - Nowhere to go but up!

Old March 31st 04, 10:34 PM
Andrew Gideon

CFLav8r wrote:

I'm a real pilot, am I not?

Wrong question.

My wife was chatting with her trainer at the gym, and explained how we'd
taken our son on his first overnight in an airplane. She later explained
that I was flying an airplane that evening as a part of a maintenance
mission for the club.

Apparently, it finally sank into the trainer's mind that I was actually the
holder of a pilot's certificate (as opposed to someone that charters
airplanes in which the family takes trips). She's therefore decided that
I'm a "trophy husband".

Not bad. But I think that, if I could afford to charter planes for family
trips, I'd be fairly trophy-ish too.

So the right question is: are you a trophy?

There might be something to this. I was there when another member of my
flying club intoduced himself to a very attractive female friend of mine.
When she heard that he knew me through aviation, she became that much more
attentive to him.

I think I've a new idea for advertising flight lessons.

- Andrew