Analyze this, please...

Old November 20th 04, 01:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Analyze this, please...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga.../F18KillA4.wmv

I recently received this amazing video of an F/A-18 Hornet
accidentally "shooting down" an A4 Skyhawk. However, I've received
two conflicting explanations of what's happening he

One version of the story says that it was an F/A-18 missile test being
filmed by the A4. The missile didn't fire after release, tumbled into
the A4, and tore off its wing.

The other version says that it was a refueling accident. Apparently
the A4s were used as "mini-refuelers" and it looks as if what comes
off the Hornet is actually attached to the A4. Perhaps the drogue
snagged something and tore off the missile, which then hit the A4s
wing, tearing it off?

Anyone know conclusively? I'd like to get the caption right.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 20th 04, 02:50 PM
Slick

IF you analyze the video and read the name of the video, it seems obvious.
From the reviewing the video this was not a refueling accident. That weapon
was clearly dropped from the Hornet. As far as to why the weapon did what it
did, I have no idea.
om...

Old November 20th 04, 02:51 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

Whichever happened, watch the A-4 after the accident. Remember the mantra
"FLY the airplane!"
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PP-ASEL
"It's a license to learn, have fun and buy really expensive hamburgers."

"Slick" wrote in message ...
IF you analyze the video and read the name of the video, it seems obvious.
From the reviewing the video this was not a refueling accident. That

weapon
was clearly dropped from the Hornet. As far as to why the weapon did what

it
did, I have no idea.
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
om...
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Old November 20th 04, 05:29 PM
John T

It looks to me that the plyon AND missle came off, and the weird
aerodynamics made it fly up like that. There is no exhaust coming from
the missle/bomb, so it wasn't launched.

Perhaps a glitch in the emergency release for the pylon, or a bad
connection of the pylon.

John

Old November 20th 04, 07:00 PM
Aardvark

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

iwan.bogels (AT) wxs.nl posted about this vid ....
=========================
11-11-04
During many prototype tests one or more chases plane monitor the test events
from close by. But sometimes these tests just don't go as planned, and the
chase plane is caught by surprise. Like in this video where things go wrong
in the worst possible way.

According to recent information the pilots stayed with the aircraft for a
long time in order to stow their own film camera before ejection, so they
wouldn't get hurt by it. Next to that they had to wait for the right moment
to eject facing upward, in order to sustain the best chance for a succesful
escape from the tumbling wreck.

Iwan

====================

Maybe he has more info on it.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

Jay,

I first saw this in a video series I purchased called "The Challenge of
Flight." This was a weapons drop test but they never mentioned if it was a
missile or a bomb. They typically first drop missiles without the engine to
verify that it separates properly before the engine fires. If you look at
the paint scheme of the F/A-18, it still has the prototype paint scheme so
it was early in the F/A-18 development--another clue that it was a "test."
They usually have one or more chase planes present to monitor the drop and
to advise the test pilot.

Regards,

Marco Leon

om...