Oklahoma City - Flight Planning Question

Old November 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Art Varrassi

Default Oklahoma City - Flight Planning Question

I am planning on flying to Oklahoma City next week on business for a couple
of days and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which
airport would be best. I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Downtown Airpark (2DT)
Wiley Post (PWA)
Sundance Airpark (HSD)

I'll be flying a Cessna 172RG and the client I'll be visiting is about 4-5
city blocks away from 2DT so , while it may be an obvious choice, I'm
concerned about the short runway, landing/parking/overnight tiedown fees,
and the close proximity to the downtown area and buildings.

Any thoughts or recommendations on the three choices I listed would be
greatly appreciated.

Art Varrassi
PP-ASEL
Dallas, TX

Old November 18th 04, 03:49 AM
Brad Zeigler

Runway too short? Airnav lists the runway at 2DT as 3240 ft.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/2DT

Old November 18th 04, 03:57 AM
Art Varrassi

Since this is my first time into the area and because of the close proximity
to the downtown buildings and the Will Rogers Class C SFC area, and my being
unfamilar with the field and the lack of VGSI on the field, 3240 ft., while
normally accptable, I believe falls below my personal minimums this time
around.

Old November 18th 04, 06:41 AM
Jay Beckman

Since this is my first time into the area and because of the close
proximity to the downtown buildings and the Will Rogers Class C SFC area,
and my being unfamilar with the field and the lack of VGSI on the field,
3240 ft., while normally accptable, I believe falls below my personal
minimums this time around.

Nice job of thinking it through...good show!

Jay Beckman
KCHD
PP-ASEL
Still nowhere to go but up!

Old November 18th 04, 03:14 PM
zatatime

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:57:22 GMT, "Art Varrassi"
wrote:

Since this is my first time into the area and because of the close proximity
to the downtown buildings and the Will Rogers Class C SFC area, and my being
unfamilar with the field and the lack of VGSI on the field, 3240 ft., while
normally accptable, I believe falls below my personal minimums this time
around.

Glad you know your limitations, but if a 3000+ runway is too short for
you in a 172RG you should head out with an instructor some day to work
on "short" field landings at unfamiliar airports.

Old November 18th 04, 05:04 PM
Chris W

Art Varrassi wrote:

I am planning on flying to Oklahoma City next week on business for a couple
of days and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which
airport would be best. I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Downtown Airpark (2DT)
Wiley Post (PWA)
Sundance Airpark (HSD)

Why not OKC? It's not very far from 2DT. I'm not sure since I haven't
done any flight training yet and haven't talked to any local pilots
about it but I would bet they have some tie downs for small GA planes.
It's worth looking into if you haven't already. OKC is only 3 miles
from my house and I can tell you it's not a very busy airport.

Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want & give the
gifts they want this holiday season
http://thewishzone.com

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Old November 18th 04, 06:18 PM
Ross Richardson

Art,

Have you not flown into Addison or Love Field in the 172RG. You are
close to buildings there. Anyway, you will be contacting Ok City
Approach and they will be assisting you. We fly to Norman often for
breakfast. 3000' is not short for a 172.

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI

Old November 18th 04, 10:07 PM
Brad Zeigler

Fair enough.

You didn't ask us to critique your judgement so it is only fair that we make
no comments--in support of or otherwise.

As tempted as I was to write a really long message about personal minimums,
expanding your comfort zone, etc., I realized that all you asked for was
recommendations for an airport. Besides, this topic was beaten to death
last month in rec.aviation.student.

Have a safe trip,

Brad

Old November 18th 04, 11:28 PM
Art Varrassi

Actually, I've landed at both quite often as well as at fields with less
than 3000'. That's not the point.

My question to the group was - did anyone have any thoughts or
recommendations on the three airports that I had chosen for this particular
flight.

I did not ask for anyone's opinion as to my short field landing techniques,
capabilities, or decision making process for choosing these three fields as
my preferences, but thanks anyway.

Old November 22nd 04, 09:42 AM
Jeff

PWA is a nice airport, I stopped there overnight on my way from kentucky to las
vegas, I parked at million air, very nice people, great service. they can
handle your rental car and everything.