SeeYou question

Old September 3rd 04, 05:43 AM
Ted Wagner

Default SeeYou question

Does anyone have any idea how SeeYou calculates the (ground) velocity at any
given fix in a flight?

I'm examining the take-off segment of one of my log files, and when I
calculate the velocity using the ubiquitous Great Circle algorithm from the
previous fix to the current fix, I get velocities that are *much* higher
than what SeeYou shows in the hover-hints as you trace the mouse along the
route.

Hack hack hack

~ted w/2NO

Old September 3rd 04, 06:10 AM
Ted Wagner

A specific example:

In the log file in question, my take-off roll begins at 1:24:15pm, when the
latitude/longitute fixes start to move.

Calculating the instantaneous speed as the distance from the previous fix to
the current fix divided by the time between those two fixes, I have these
speeds:
+15 seconds: 43mph
+20 seconds: 59mph
+25 seconds: 72mph
+30 seconds: 81mph

But loading the same file in SeeYou and looking at the data that pops up
next to the mouse pointer and checking the speeds at the same points:
+15 seconds: 13mph
+20 seconds: 22mph
+25 seconds: 33mph
+30 seconds: 43mph

Those are some rather drastic speed differences. The tow plane was one of
Turf's Pawnees, which in the warmest weather don't have me sitting at 35
knots a full 30 seconds into the take-off roll.

The distance algorithm I'm using is the classic Great Circle:

distance_in_miles = 3956.0775034473 * arccos( SIN(lat1) * SIN(lat2) +
COS(lat1)*COS(lat2) * COS(lng1-lng2) )

Any other hackers out there played with this stuff?

-tw

Old September 3rd 04, 07:40 AM
Jim Vincent

Any other hackers out there played with this stuff?

I recommend you post this directly on the Seeyou website...the help you get
there will be far more focused on your needs.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old September 3rd 04, 09:49 AM
Andrej Kolar

Hi Ted,

SeeYou uses a filter, a sort of smoothing algorythm for the groundspeed
velocity calculations. Default value is 20s which means that 20 second.
You can control the smoothing through Tools Options Statistics
Groundspeed filter. Set it to "1s" to have "no filter".

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use