Help requested with Soaring Flight Software Comparison Table

Old September 1st 04, 08:10 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Henryk,

I have added every flight software option I am aware of. Some of them are
somewhat obscure, but I want the table to be as complete as possible. My
goal is to create a resource for glider pilots. Hopefully customers will
appreciate my efforts and buy from me.

When I say that some of the software packages are obscure, I mean that there
may be few pilots using them. I will not name names, but I am not referring
to GPS_LOG which is popular.

Please review the GPS_LOG column on the web site. I'm sure there are many
errors. The table is only as good as the data I receive.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
"Walter Kronester" wrote:

Very interesting table, thank you!
Please do not forget the free GPS_LOG
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/GPS_LOGpage.htm

I would like it if Paul Remde included GPS_LOG WinCE in his
comparison. But the table lists software he sells, so in that context
the omission makes sense.

Henryk Birecki
(GPS_LOG WinCE developper)

Old September 1st 04, 09:29 PM
Henryk Birecki

OK, for completeness here are GPS_LOG WinCE entries to the table. Some
of these cannot be captured in yes/no answers and some entries
immediately bring to mind other entries that should be there like "All
calculations are wind compensated" (answer yes for GPS_LOG), "needed
altitude takes terrain into consideration" (yes again), but then I and
forms never agree.

Feature GPS_LOG WinCE

Price --- free
Reachable airports are highlighted on the moving map ---- no, gives a
list of 8 best reachable sites instead
Final Glide Around Multiple Waypoints ---- yes (one turnpoint)
Calculates wind speed and direction while circling ---- "yes, and in
""straight flight"" if data (IAS,heading) available"
Wind speed and direction at several altitudes ---- no
"Large Fonts (5 is best, 1 is worst)" ---- 5 (what do you expect
) - user customizeable
Differential Final Glide ---- yes
Turnpoint Area Task Support ---- yes
Special Use Airspace displayed on moving map ---- yes (with
alarms)
"Topographical Maps (roads, lakes, elevation lines, etc.)" -----
yes
US Sectional Aeronautical Charts ----- no (pretty, but....)
In-flight optimization of OLC flights ------ "displays distance
given number of legs, does not check rule compliance"
FAI 28% Rule Turnpoint areas displayed in flight ------ no
Thermal Histogram ----- "no, but keeps track of the average climb"
Tracks statistics for multiple tasks at once ----- no
Climb Maximizer ------ yes
Thermal Average ------ yes
Terrain Elevation ------ yes

Compatibility with GPS Flight Recorders
PA - Receive position and GPS altitude from the flight recorder
Pr - Receive pressure altitude from the flight recorder
Lg - Download Flight Logs from the flight recorder to the Pocket
Tsk - Make an IGC Approved Task Declaration in the Flight Recorder
Wp - Upload Waypoints and tasks from Pocket PC to Flight Recorder
MC - Exchange MacCready between the Pocket PC software and the flight
recorder
Ps - Tie software password to flight recorder serial number
"S - Edit Setup Parameters in the flight recorder such as waypoint
arrival radius, units, etc."
Flight Recorder or Flight Computer

"""Generic"" GPS (Garmin, Transplant, etc.)" ---- "PA,Pr (Garmin
Summit…)"
Borgelt B50 with Volkslogger ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk(may depend on
wiring), MC (to PPC)"
Cambridge Aero Instruments GPS-NAV ---- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
Cambridge Aero Instruments 302 and 302A ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk, MC (to
PPC)"
Filser LX20 ----- "PA,Pr, Tsk (?? - if the same as Colibri)"
Garrecht Volkslogger ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
LX Navigation Colibri ------ "PA,Pr,Tsk"
"LX Navigation LX160, LX7000" ----- "PA,Pr,Tsk"
LX Navigation LX1600 ------ "PA,Pr,Tsk"
Scheffel Automation Themi ---- "PA (if NMEA),????"
Westerboer VW921 ----- "PA(this unit does not output GPS
altitude),Pr"
Zander ------ "PA,Pr"

Henryk Birecki

"Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Henryk,

I have added every flight software option I am aware of. Some of them are
somewhat obscure, but I want the table to be as complete as possible. My
goal is to create a resource for glider pilots. Hopefully customers will
appreciate my efforts and buy from me.

When I say that some of the software packages are obscure, I mean that there
may be few pilots using them. I will not name names, but I am not referring
to GPS_LOG which is popular.

Please review the GPS_LOG column on the web site. I'm sure there are many
errors. The table is only as good as the data I receive.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 1st 04, 11:19 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Henryk,

Certainly no table is going to be perfect, but I'm doing my best. Thank for
your feedback.

Does GPS_LOG really have a "Climb Maximizer" similar to WinPilot and Themi
that directs you to the center of the thermal? Cool!

Paul Remde

"Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Henryk,

I have added every flight software option I am aware of. Some of them are
somewhat obscure, but I want the table to be as complete as possible. My
goal is to create a resource for glider pilots. Hopefully customers will
appreciate my efforts and buy from me.

When I say that some of the software packages are obscure, I mean that
there
may be few pilots using them. I will not name names, but I am not
referring
to GPS_LOG which is popular.

Please review the GPS_LOG column on the web site. I'm sure there are many
errors. The table is only as good as the data I receive.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 2nd 04, 12:44 AM
Andy Durbin

"Walter Kronester" wrote:

Very interesting table, thank you!
Please do not forget the free GPS_LOG
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/GPS_LOGpage.htm

I would like it if Paul Remde included GPS_LOG WinCE in his
comparison. But the table lists software he sells, so in that context
the omission makes sense.

Henryk Birecki
(GPS_LOG WinCE developper)

The draft table includes free software and software that Paul is not
an agent for. Give him your details and I'm sure he'll add your
software.

Andy
Old September 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

Henryk is correct that the first iteration of the table only included the
software I sell and support. But you are correct that I've since added all
the other software packages.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:34 AM
Henryk Birecki

"Paul Remde" wrote:

Certainly no table is going to be perfect, but I'm doing my best.

I agree on that wholeheartedly.

Thank for your feedback.

Does GPS_LOG really have a "Climb Maximizer" similar to WinPilot and Themi
that directs you to the center of the thermal? Cool!

Well, I do not know what the other software does (never used it), but
GPS_LOG WinCE does go into a mode where it shows you where you should
circle to be in lift. It is a highly enlarged view of track where lift
is color coded and width of line indicates "more than" running average
or "less than" average. It is very effective (even on black and white
screen) for me, but then... I am biased . Ask GPS_LOG WinCE users.

Henryk
Old September 2nd 04, 07:40 AM
Henryk Birecki

Henryk Birecki wrote:

When listing GPS_LOG WinCE capabilities I made a mistake.

Cambridge Aero Instruments GPS-NAV ---- "PA,Pr,Tsk"

should be "PA,Tsk"

Henryk Birecki
Old September 2nd 04, 07:41 AM
André Somers

Paul Remde wrote:

Thanks for the data. I added it to my web site.

Thanks for adding Cumulus, altough it's probably in the obscure
category ;-). I will notify you with the changes as new versions are
released.

André

Old September 2nd 04, 03:29 PM
Chip Bearden

Henryk is correct that the first iteration of the table only included the
software I sell and support. But you are correct that I've since added all
the other software packages.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

This table is a great service and I hope pilots who consult it will,
as Paul hopes, consider buying from him.

I upgraded my flight software this summer from Paul and was impressed
with his response to my post-sale questions/suggestions. After-sales
support is often more erratic than pre-sales hand holding. That was
not my experience with Paul, however.

I was also very grateful when, after my flight recorder failed during
a major contest, he generated a new password so I could use my PDA
with my loaner flight recorder...when I called him from the grid
during his lunch hour! Thanks, again, Paul, for the prompt response.

Chip Bearden
Old September 2nd 04, 04:18 PM
RHP

Please see http://www.craggyaero.com/WinPilot%20Freature.htm for an
almost complete list of WinPilot Features. Sorry but the list has
about 100 items and is growing every day.

Richard Pfiffner
www.craggyaero.com

"Paul Remde" wrote in message news:%kSYc.262569$eM2.821@attbi_s51...
Hi,

I'm taking on the tough task of creating a comparison table for soaring
flight software. Of course I can't mention every single features found in
every product, so I'm trying to hit the unique features found in each
product.

You can view the very preliminary table he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/software-ppc.htm

The table also shows levels of compatibility with several flight recorders.

Both parts of the table are in need of review. I have done my best first
shot but I'm sure I've missed some key features and may have some of the
compatibility data wrong.

Please review the table and e-mail suggestions or corrections to me.

I sincerely want the table to be a useful resource for glider pilots.

Thank you,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

flight planning software Russ Bird Piloting 1 November 22nd 04 03:08 AM
Flight Simulator 2004 pro 4CDs, Eurowings 2004, Sea Plane Adventures, Concorde, HONG KONG 2004, World Airlines, other Addons, Sky Ranch, Jumbo 747, Greece 2000 [include El.Venizelos], Polynesia 2000, Real Airports, Private Wings, FLITESTAR V8.5 - JEP vvcd Home Built 0 September 22nd 04 07:16 PM
Best Soaring Flight Sim? Eggs Soaring 18 September 17th 03 04:46 PM
Real World Specs for FS 2004 Paul H. Simulators 16 August 18th 03 09:25 AM