Best communications for Soaring Club

Old March 27th 19, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Best communications for Soaring Club

On Wednesday, 27 March 2019 03:58:37 UTC+2, wrote:
Also not trying to be a Luddite, but what works for communication between members boils down to what the members are comfortable using. Having to subscribe, join, enter passwords etc. is a completely useless method of replacing face-to-face or even "primitive" methods of communication like the telephone.

I agree with this approach. Trying to teach old dogs new tricks can lead to poor participation. Rather use a solution that the majority of the club already use for communications.

Our club uses WhatsApp which may not be everyone's cup of tea but it works for us. Practically everyone in the club has a mobile phone and uses WhatsApp.
We use multiple groups and members can leave a group if they're not interested.
e.g. Weather Forecasts, FlightOps, Tug pilots, Winch Crew, General, etc.
Allows one to post images, videos, voice messages, etc.
Old March 27th 19, 10:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Dezzutti[_4_]

Facebook seems to work pretty well for the New Castle club. I live
in New England but I can tell you how dry the runway is, who is
instructing, who is towing, and the weather outlook for tomorrow!

Old March 27th 19, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

We use a combination of many of the methods mentioned - group emailing system, WhatsApp, Facebook. One of the best is a weather forecasting site which is good enough that many members (and some non members) log into it regularly. It can therefore carry other significant information.

http://www.instructor.andrewroch.co.uk/weather.htm

Only possible if there is someone good at weather and diligent.