US Sectional Charts

Old March 14th 19, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default US Sectional Charts

If you like sectional charts (and I do), you may be interested to know that up-to-date, downloadable sectional charts are available for the most popular soaring flight planning software. Just visit the Sectionals tab on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info to find:

- CMR format files for desktop SeeYou
- GeoTiff (preferred) and JPEG files for Google Earth
- Charts for GlidePlan, including composite custom charts for many contest sites

As always, stuff on my website is completely free.

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old March 14th 19, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 3:57:07 PM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
If you like sectional charts (and I do), you may be interested to know that up-to-date, downloadable sectional charts are available for the most popular soaring flight planning software. Just visit the Sectionals tab on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info to find:

- CMR format files for desktop SeeYou
- GeoTiff (preferred) and JPEG files for Google Earth
- Charts for GlidePlan, including composite custom charts for many contest sites

As always, stuff on my website is completely free.

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Bravo! Many thanks for all you do Lynn!
QT
Old March 22nd 19, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Thanks Lynn!
The CMR sectionals can also be used in LX flight computers. The latest firmware lets you easily switch between the standard terrain map to sectional chart.

Ramy
Old March 22nd 19, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6:22:43 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Thanks Lynn!
The CMR sectionals can also be used in LX flight computers. The latest firmware lets you easily switch between the standard terrain map to sectional chart.

Ramy

Which firm ware because I have been asking for but do not see on 6.20. I like to refer to a sectional but think they are a bit busy for full time map use.
Old March 22nd 19, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I believe you must update to the “beta” firmware. The version I’m using is 6.33a
Old March 22nd 19, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Correct, the latest beta firmware has an option to change the map setting for a particular page, so you can have sectional in one page and terrain in another. Seem to work well.
BTW the latest beta firmware also addresses most of the issues with mode C alarms.

Ramy
Old March 22nd 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there a (free online) source for sectional charts, downloadable as an image file, that cover your choice of area boundaries, and are "seamless" across a boundary between the official FAA chart sections? My purpose is to view such an image in standard image-viewing software, on a PC (for planning) and on a smartphone (for reference during a flight).

E.g., our soaring area is near the border between the "New York" and "Montreal" sectionals. In the past I've downloaded both of those sectionals from the FAA web site, cropped to a smallish portion of each, and "glued" together manually in image editing software, trying to line up the longitude lines. That's tedious to do precisely. Also some map features (e.g., some roads or rivers) then still have a discontinuity where they cross the boundary, even as other nearby features cross smoothly. (I have no explanation for that.)

I think the CMR files can be joined seamlessly, but they are not suitable for direct viewing by human eyes, outside of specialized software that re-projects them. As is, the aspect ratio is distorted, e.g., circles look like ovals. Lynn has told me how to use such software to then export the reprojected seamless image, but the procedure is more of a hassle than I'd like to tackle.

There are several web sites where you can view sectionals in such a seamless way, but not download. (Screen image capture doesn't count, the resolution is too limited.]
Old March 22nd 19, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Moshe,

The only thing that makes this hard is your requirement to download and view the charts using "standard image-viewing software". That requirement puts you in the business of trying to stitch sectional charts together, which is tedious.

Instead, you should consider using specialized software on your phone that handles this problem. If you have an Android, you can use Avare, which is wonderful and free. On the iPhone you can use Foreflight, which involves a subscription. There may be free options for displaying sectionals on the iPhone that I don't know about.

On the PC, the SkyVector website is outstanding for flight planning.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old March 22nd 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Download the free FltPlan Go app to your iPad or iPhone. It does exactly what you want plus a LOT more.
Old March 22nd 19, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Moshe,

Just took a quick look at FltPlan Go on iPhone. Looks pretty nice, also free.

L.