Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank

Old January 22nd 04, 10:32 AM
The Raven

Default Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank

Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old January 22nd 04, 11:17 AM
Keith Willshaw

"The Raven" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know

they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
fit the aero engine had

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine

and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it

beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer

there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's

intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

There is almost certainly a market for it, there are a number of
Centurions owned by collectors

see http://www.milweb.net/go/select/sales.htm

Keith

Old January 22nd 04, 11:20 AM
The Raven

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"The Raven" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know

they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
fit the aero engine had

Absolutely. I saw one up close (on a stand) but they weren't starting it at
the time. Hard to recognise it as an aero engine in caterpillar yellow.

[...]

Thanks, will look into it. Hopefully someone in Canada is interested.

Old January 22nd 04, 06:31 PM
Ken Duffey

"The Raven" wrote in message
[...]

Just an aside..............

I used to work for the UK MOD as a Civil Servant - one job I had was in NATO
Codification - the allocation of parts numbers to NATO Stock items.

We were told the story about the reasons behind the drive to standardise
parts/stock numbers between the NATO allies - and even between the UK Services.

In the olden days if a Royal Navy Landrover broke down or had a puncture outside
an Army barracks - it could not get spare parts at the Army stores - the part
numbering systems were completely different!!

The Army landrover rode on Tubes, Inner & Covers, Outer, the RN landrover
probably just had Tires and Inner Tubes!!!

Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........

Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to a
shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.

Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with British
Centurion tanks.

The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks with
parts!

It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good one
nonetheless.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 2nd 04, 09:01 AM
L'acrobat

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Duffey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a

common
parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the

Yanks
with
parts!

It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
Armoured Regiment.

How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the

Aussies use
it - and was it in Korea ??

Comet had the Meteor.

Australia never used the Comet

Old February 2nd 04, 06:02 PM
Ken Duffey

Ken Duffey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a

common
parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the

Yanks
with
parts!

It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
Armoured Regiment.

How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the

Aussies use
it - and was it in Korea ??

Comet had the Meteor.

Australia never used the Comet

OK - some tank regiment somewhere, equipped with some tanks powered by RR Meteor
engines, were stationed in the next valley to an air force squadron of planes
powered by Packard Merlins.

If only they'd known that it was essentially the same engine - they could have
swapped parts and prevented the air force squadron from being grounded due to
lack of spares.

Will that do ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
L'acrobat

Ken Duffey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
[...]

Yes thats accurate. but somehow the story lacks the same zing...

Old February 4th 04, 05:24 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Ken Duffey writes:
L'acrobat wrote:
Australia never used the Comet

OK - some tank regiment somewhere, equipped with some tanks powered by RR Meteor
engines, were stationed in the next valley to an air force squadron of planes
powered by Packard Merlins.

If only they'd known that it was essentially the same engine - they could have
swapped parts and prevented the air force squadron from being grounded due to
lack of spares.

Will that do ??

Well, now that we've got that sorted out, No, I don't think that it
would help, actually. Well, they may be able to trade Whitworth
Thread bolts, but stuff like Carburetors, and the oterh accessory
stuff would be differnt. (V1650s used Bendix-Stromberg Pressure Carbs,
IIRC, the Meteor uses an SU. The Packard has a differnt back end,
with the wheelcase for the blower on it, and a different front end
with the propeller gearbox. The airplane engine had vacuum pumps,
hydraylic pumps, and a 24V generator all hooked to the engine, and all
of those would be different. Pistons, cranks, & conrods may be
similar in dimension, but given Roll's penchant for sloppy
manufacturing tolerances and hand-fitting parts, I don't know if
Rover, who swapped Whittle Turbojet production to Rolls for the Meteor
plant, improved that particular situation.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old February 4th 04, 11:42 AM
The Raven

"L'acrobat" wrote in message

Ken Duffey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
[...]

BTW someone who owns a airworthy Merlin suggested the Meteor engine may
contain steel parts. He didn't elaborate but there was a hint that the block
may be something other than aluminum.

Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 04:03 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 27th 04 12:20 AM
Objective Engine Discussion Rick Maddy Home Built 26 October 14th 03 04:46 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM