Pitot heat element failed. Options?

Old January 11th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Pitot heat element failed. Options?

Just this past week my Bonanza V35's pitot heat element failed. I had a
mechanic look at it to determine if the cause was power/wiring related or
if the element itself had failed.

Of course, it was the element itself that had failed, which apparently in
the Bonanza's case means a new pitot tube.

New pitot tubes are over US$1000, or at least that was the first quote I
received. Are there used aircraft parts, or boneyards, that might carry
these? If so, who are reputable groups here in the US?

--
Peter
Old January 11th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

Peter R. wrote:
... Are there used aircraft parts, or boneyards, that might carry
these?

Try Wentworth for starters.

I own Cessnas and a Piper . I'm a member of Cessna Pilot's Assoc. and
Short Wing Piper Club. Both organizations maintain lists of used parts
dealers. Join your Type Club.

Old January 12th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 11 Jan 2007 11:38:58 -0800, "mikem" wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
... Are there used aircraft parts, or boneyards, that might carry
these?

Try Wentworth for starters.

I own Cessnas and a Piper . I'm a member of Cessna Pilot's Assoc. and
Short Wing Piper Club. Both organizations maintain lists of used parts
dealers. Join your Type Club.

Try http://www.bonanza.org/
It's a good group for Bonanza owners.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 11th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michael[_1_]

Peter R. wrote:
Of course, it was the element itself that had failed, which apparently in
the Bonanza's case means a new pitot tube.

If you are going to observe the legalities, it sure does. I might or
might not know of several Bonanzas flying with rebuilt pitot tubes...

New pitot tubes are over US$1000, or at least that was the first quote I
received. Are there used aircraft parts, or boneyards, that might carry
these? If so, who are reputable groups here in the US?

Take any old copy of Trade-A-Plane, flip through it, and you will find
plenty. Just start calling around. You would be amazed how many odd
parts they will have.

Michael

Old January 11th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Michael wrote:
Peter R. wrote:

Of course, it was the element itself that had failed, which apparently in
the Bonanza's case means a new pitot tube.

If you are going to observe the legalities, it sure does. I might or
might not know of several Bonanzas flying with rebuilt pitot tubes...

No legal reason you have to buy a new pitot tube.

Old January 12th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Peter,
My heating element went south on my Piper pitot tube. Apparently there
were two heating elements in there and I was able to purchase them
separately. You may want to explore the option of purchasing just the
heating elements.

Marco

Old January 12th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Marco Leon wrote:

My heating element went south on my Piper pitot tube. Apparently there
were two heating elements in there and I was able to purchase them
separately. You may want to explore the option of purchasing just the
heating elements.

Thanks, Marco, but in the Bonanza's case, the heating element and the tube
are one unit.

I contacted American Bonanza Society and they have given me some contacts
to explore. Of course the issue is time, since I am flying a lot this
winter in the Northeast US I have to have the Pitot heat back working
relatively quickly.

--
Peter
Old January 12th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Peter R. wrote:

Thanks, Marco, but in the Bonanza's case, the heating element and the tube
are one unit.

I contacted American Bonanza Society and they have given me some contacts
to explore. Of course the issue is time, since I am flying a lot this
winter in the Northeast US I have to have the Pitot heat back working
relatively quickly.

Yes, these clouds up here are no joke. Good luck with finding it for
less than 1 AMU. I wonder if it's economically feasible to buy off eBay
and get it yellow-tagged? Here's one (not sure if it's your model) from
a guy parting out some Bonanzas: Item number: 320069500778

Marco

Pitot Heat Failure in a Piper Marco Leon Owning 10 February 9th 06 02:35 AM
28 volt pitot heat B2431 Home Built 15 April 17th 04 03:25 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 02:51 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Owning 10 November 6th 03 10:54 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Piloting 10 November 6th 03 10:54 AM