Soviet "examinations" of Apollo Moon rocks

Old January 30th 04, 01:30 AM
Ron

Default Soviet "examinations" of Apollo Moon rocks

Is this news from the same Soviet government that said they were not sending
combat pilots into Korea? Or the same Soviet government that said there was
no
radiation leak from Chernobyl? Or the Soviet official sources that insisted
they were 'winning' in Afganistan right up to the day they left with their
tails between their legs?

Michael, if the Soviet government apparently could not manage to hold the
truth
in their mouths, just why are we supposed to believe their claims of MiGs vs
Sabres?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Well you see Gord, those Soviet pilots were so extremely capable, they managed
to shoot down those Sabres multiple times each. Its that extreme superiority
that explains how they shot down more Sabres than were ever even over there to
begin with.

grin

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old January 30th 04, 04:34 AM
Krztalizer

Well you see Gord, those Soviet pilots were so extremely capable, they
managed
to shoot down those Sabres multiple times each. Its that extreme superiority
that explains how they shot down more Sabres than were ever even over there
begin with.

Shhh, Ron - I want to see Mikey's explanation

Old January 30th 04, 10:06 AM
Michael Petukhov

From:
(Michael Petukhov)
Date: 1/29/2004 5:07 AM Central Standard Time
Super interesting, very detailed, factual and verifiable
material on that scandalous subject can be found at

http://www.duel.ru/200348/48_5_1

unfortunately in Russian only.

Enjoy

Michael

Petukhov, I have watched you attempt to bash all things American for some time.
I am not a medical professional,

If so why would not you simply shut up? From you pots
one can conclude you are not a professional in any
other field as well.

but it sure looks as if you have an
inferiority complex.

Hm.. Yes, I have a complex. But as many russians
I do have supremacy complex. Which is completely understandable
given the proportions of idiots like you around.

It is the only explaination I can come up with when you keep bringing up all
kinds of off topic subjects where you crow about Soviet/Russian and demean U.S.
programs.

As for off topic subjects... well I do sometimes but it is common
well established practice in this NG. Just recent:

The State of the Union: Lies about a Dishonest War (409 articles)
Mars Rover Shot (19 articles)
George Soros: "The US now in hands extremists&q... (17 articles)
Winston Churchill As Anthrax Bomber (146 articles)
New virus that's going to be hitting a lot of us (3 articles)

etc.

Moon rocks at least have some connections to aviation and space
research.

And note I am free and see not reasons to behave better than anyone
else does.

Michael

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old January 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Matt Wiser

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn"
wrote in message
news

Wasn't Khruschev ousted in 1964? We didn't

go to the moon until 1969.

Picky Picky , no conspirowhacko ever lets gacts
get in the way !

Keith

Keith, how's this for conspiracy wackos: Buzz Aldrin was cornered in L.A.
last year by a very persistent Apollo conspiracy theorist-he's tried to get
every Apollo 11-17 Astronaut to swear on a Bible that the missions actually
happened. This kook cornered Buzz and his daughter and tried to get Buzz
to swear that the mission and Moonwalk happened; and he tried to hem in Buzz
and not let him go until he did it. Buzz responded by punching his lights
out. L.A. County's DA saw a videotape of the incident and ruled Buzz's actions
justified. A pity we can't get Buzz and Mikey to meet-would be interesting.

Old February 2nd 04, 02:08 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

snip

And note I am free and see not reasons to behave better than anyone
else does.

Hmmmm... interesting that you should bring up 'freedom', considering that
yes you are *now* free to post whatever thoughts you may have to the
internet, which, under the old Soviet system you would never have even known
existed.

Such irony.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:50 AM
Michael Petukhov

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message . ..
snip

And note I am free and see not reasons to behave better than anyone
else does.

Hmmmm... interesting that you should bring up 'freedom', considering that
yes you are *now* free to post whatever thoughts you may have to the
internet, which, under the old Soviet system you would never have even known
existed.

Such irony.

Disagree. If USSR would exist now Internet would be very well
known and in use. There would be certainly some restrictions
like those recently reported in China for instance which certainly
cannot significantly stop free spread of information. Like
a telephone for instance it is simply too important invention in order
anyone can ignore or ban it. BTW telephone was pretty well known
in USSR as well as all other telecommunication technologies
known in the world. However there is irony indeed that internet (US invention)
kills US propaganda media by free disrtibution of true info and true
foreign public opinions on US politics in US itself.

Michael
Old February 2nd 04, 10:06 AM
Dave Kearton

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message

| Disagree. If USSR would exist now Internet would be very well
| known and in use. There would be certainly some restrictions
| like those recently reported in China for instance which certainly
| cannot significantly stop free spread of information. Like
| a telephone for instance it is simply too important invention in order
| anyone can ignore or ban it. BTW telephone was pretty well known
| in USSR as well as all other telecommunication technologies
| known in the world. However there is irony indeed that internet (US
invention)
| kills US propaganda media by free disrtibution of true info and true
| foreign public opinions on US politics in US itself.
|
| Michael

I understand that television was different in the old USSR as well.

While we in the west would watch the television for entertainment - in the
USSR, the TV watches you.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 2nd 04, 10:55 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
message ...
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message

| Disagree. If USSR would exist now Internet would be very well
| known and in use. There would be certainly some restrictions
| like those recently reported in China for instance which certainly
| cannot significantly stop free spread of information. Like
| a telephone for instance it is simply too important invention in order
| anyone can ignore or ban it. BTW telephone was pretty well known
| in USSR as well as all other telecommunication technologies
| known in the world. However there is irony indeed that internet (US
invention)
| kills US propaganda media by free disrtibution of true info and true
| foreign public opinions on US politics in US itself.
|
| Michael

Whats really funny is that Micheal has neglected to mention how
paranoid the Soviet authorities were about technology.
Photocopiers and duplicating machines were rigidly
controlled and licensed lest people use them for publishing
counter revolutionary documents and the Fax machines
had them in a real tizzy since with the technology available
the authorities had a hard time listening in and intercepting
fax communications. Indeed it was the explosion in the
numbers of fax machines that was made possible by
Gotbachev's reforms that made organising resistance to the
communist coup of 1991 possible.

In a real sense information technology was one of
the major factors that brought an end to the USSR.

I understand that television was different in the old USSR as well.

While we in the west would watch the television for entertainment - in the
USSR, the TV watches you.

The reality of TV in the old USSR was more prosaic. It was
just plain boring. There were few decent arts programmes and
some opera/ballet which were Ok but for the most part it was
incredibly dull. They were quite creative when it came to ensuring
that people only listened to 'approved' radio stations as I recall.
They made really cheap radios that had only presets that were
tuned to the frequencies of government approved stations.

Still most people preferred the news from BBC World Service.

Keith

Old February 2nd 04, 05:44 PM
Krztalizer

under the old Soviet system you would never have even known
existed.

Such irony.

Disagree. If USSR would exist now Internet would be very well
known and in use.

.....by all three of the people that could afford computers. Of coures, there
would also be a KGB guy standing over their shoulder, copying down every
website they visited.

There would be certainly some restrictions
like those recently reported in China for instance which certainly
cannot significantly stop free spread of information.

If the government can tell you which sites to visit, its not "free spread" of
anything.

Like
a telephone for instance it is simply too important invention in order
anyone can ignore or ban it. BTW telephone was pretty well known
in USSR as well as all other telecommunication technologies

Right, Comrade... tell us how free it was under the Old System that you knew
and loved so well

However there is irony indeed that internet (US invention)
kills US propaganda media by free disrtibution of true info and true
foreign public opinions on US politics in US itself.

Sorta proves that our government doesn't bother trying to restrict access.

Old February 2nd 04, 10:03 PM
Michael Petukhov

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Dave Kearton" wrote in
message ...
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message

| Disagree. If USSR would exist now Internet would be very well
| known and in use. There would be certainly some restrictions
| like those recently reported in China for instance which certainly
| cannot significantly stop free spread of information. Like
| a telephone for instance it is simply too important invention in order
| anyone can ignore or ban it. BTW telephone was pretty well known
| in USSR as well as all other telecommunication technologies
| known in the world. However there is irony indeed that internet (US

invention)
| kills US propaganda media by free disrtibution of true info and true
| foreign public opinions on US politics in US itself.
|
| Michael

Whats really funny is that Micheal has neglected to mention how
paranoid the Soviet authorities were about technology.

Which technology? USSR was number 1 or number 2 in almost all
technology areas with only possible exception of computers where it was
number 3 or 4.

Photocopiers and duplicating machines were rigidly
controlled and licensed lest people use them for publishing
counter revolutionary documents and the Fax machines
had them in a real tizzy since with the technology available
the authorities had a hard time listening in and intercepting
fax communications.

Well partly true. photocopiers and faxes were not available
in shops for general public. Although it was available
in offices. I am not aware of anyone who wanted to copy
"counter revolutionary documents" at any time. Maybe a very few
so called dissidents which were never more than 200-300 for
all USSR. general public did not cared about any such
documents then and now. I do remmeber that when we wanted
to have copy of Bulgakov novel "Master and Margarite"
possible but very difficult to find in a shop we (10 students)
just typed it and printed in an office printer. As for photocopiers
and faxes, I think it was not available in the shops
simply because at that time it was too big and expansive
mashines and given rather low incomes of population
there would no significant demand.

Indeed it was the explosion in the
numbers of fax machines that was made possible by
Gotbachev's reforms that made organising resistance to the
communist coup of 1991 possible.

Hm... After all these years we do not so sure there was a "coup"
and "organising resistance". The faxes were already in big
numbers since many privat and state companies certainly had ones
for ages.

In a real sense information technology was one of
the major factors that brought an end to the USSR.

I understand that television was different in the old USSR as well.

While we in the west would watch the television for entertainment - in the
USSR, the TV watches you.

The reality of TV in the old USSR was more prosaic. It was
just plain boring. There were few decent arts programmes and
some opera/ballet which were Ok but for the most part it was
incredibly dull. They were quite creative when it came to ensuring
that people only listened to 'approved' radio stations as I recall.
They made really cheap radios that had only presets that were
tuned to the frequencies of government approved stations.

partly true. Although it was less boring than western TV cud
(particularly in US), in my taste certainly. There was lost of
sports, many good movies and arts and very little politics. Most
people was interesting in mostly their personal lifes, and nobody
was affraid of their future. Anyone could walk at any place of a
town and at any time of day or night. Totally diffrent atmosphere
as it is now in many places. BTW in my house now anyone can watch
any western station for very little fee. And what? Yes no demand
whatsoever. I know because a cable company worker came to ask if
we would like to subscribe and complained nobody wanted and
they probably would have to disconnect all this rubbish.

Michael

Still most people preferred the news from BBC World Service.

No, BBC was not very popular due to its elevated stupidity.
I mean russian branch of BBC. English BBC radio was always
fine. Russian branch was populated mostly by old sick russian
clouns whose the anly advantage was they "selected freedom".
They are all still there and did not learn anything since
that time. Voice of America was indeed rather good and popular.

Michael

Keith