2 Questions

Old October 23rd 05, 02:20 PM
Timmy Ferrell

Default 2 Questions

Hi all,
I recently installed a new hard drive a found myself with space to
spare, so I tried re-installing some old software titles from the past.
Unfortuanetly I could'n t get any of the sims to recognize my Saitek
X-45 joystick/throttle. Would anyone know if there is ANY supprot for the
following titles? All of the titles installed fine under Win XP even though
windows 98 was the OS de jeur when most of these were released.
Falcon 4.0
Janes USNF '97
Janes USAF
Janes F15
Janes Longbow 2
Falocn 4.0 surprised me a little- I thought there was still an active
audience for this sim but most of the sites that I googled came back with
old site and out of date links. Even microproses' site (since taken over by
Atari) has no mention of it.

My second question is- what is the best modern air combat sim available?
I'm looking for a true sim- no an arcade shooter. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

Old October 24th 05, 02:43 AM
Roger

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:20:21 GMT, "Timmy Ferrell"
wrote:

[...]

Falcon IV works well in XP and the two different brands of FF
joysticks I have.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old October 24th 05, 03:03 PM
Ed Medlin

"Timmy Ferrell" wrote in message
news
[...]

Believe it or not, I would say that Falcon 4.0 is still the best air combat
simulator out there. It has remained supported and upgraded many times by
second party devlopers. Do a Google for it and get the updates. Some of them
are quite large. The entire sim has really been redone and done with
cooperation from actual F-16 jocks. The new upgrades also use a lot of
system resourses and will tax even the quickest system with all the bells
and whistles on. AFAIK, all the upgrades are free to all. The work is
remarkable.

Ed

Old November 4th 05, 06:53 AM
Bob Martin

Believe it or not, I would say that Falcon 4.0 is still the best air combat
simulator out there. It has remained supported and upgraded many times by
second party devlopers. Do a Google for it and get the updates. Some of them
are quite large. The entire sim has really been redone and done with
cooperation from actual F-16 jocks. The new upgrades also use a lot of
system resourses and will tax even the quickest system with all the bells
and whistles on. AFAIK, all the upgrades are free to all. The work is
remarkable.

Try looking at the Falcon 4 forum on www.frugalsworld.com - big F4
community there; they'll be able to help you pick out which patch to use
and help you get it up and running. Also, one of the third-party
developers is freefalcon (www.freefalcon.com); the other main one is
SP4/BMS, though I'm not sure what their webpage is. There is also a new
commercial Falcon release (Falcon 4: Allied Force)
Old November 10th 05, 05:04 AM
Neil Balchin

The new falcon 4 commercial release is well worth the bucks, you can buy it
for under 30 bucks and that way you won't have to spend hours

As for the other Games you've listed, I don't think you'll have much luck
with the Janes Titles, I've got them all and I have video driver problems
with everything, they're just too old and not very compatible with the new
XP drivers and current DX versions

good luck