I Wish Our Website Was As Good As This

Old January 11th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lasham Pilot

Default I Wish Our Website Was As Good As This

href="http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk"http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk/a

Old January 12th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

very nice internet site indeed.
Bravo for the web designer !

Old January 12th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Ehrlich

Lasham Pilot a écrit :

href="http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk"http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk/a

Maybe it's a good web design, but from a pilot's point of
view, some statements are questionable :
Quote:
On weekends there is a task briefing covering the weather, airspace, and
three tasks of varying difficulty. Pilots choose which one they want to
fly, program it into their flight computers (so they don't get lost) and
set off.
I don't agree with the idea that, without a flight computer in which
I program my task, I would be lost. As an instructor, I merely teach how
to avoid getting lost, without any flight computer. Of course I
also explain how to use flight computers and GPS, when available, but
a pilot must be able to maintain situation awareness without them.
Old January 12th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

Hi Robert,

Pilots choose which one they want to
fly, program it into their flight computers (so they don't get lost) and
set off.

I take all the blame for poorly worded webpages. But in fairness, the
general public relates to SatNav & getting lost! I seriously doubt
saying, 'we program our flight computers so we don't accidentally break
airspace and cause a major incident' would be appropriate

I am quite interested in peoples views as this site is an experiment -
it's designed totally for non-gliding people. I've tried to keep the
text as accurate as possible, without getting bogged down in a morass
of technicalities! As a club we need to attract more members & more
trial lessons - and this site is aimed at getting people from outside
of the gliding movement.

Personally, I set about making a site that would help break some of the
stereotypes associated with gliding. For example, I wanted people to
discover that gliders CAN go cross country or do aerobatics, that they
aren't just blown by the wind. Having done a lot of gliding publicity
events I know that these misconceptions are rife (in the UK at least)
and are not doing our sport any favours! Why would anybody want to
take up a sport that they perceive as a lot of standing around for a
simple drift back to the ground?

It's too early to tell if it's working - but we're not selling any less
'vouchers' than before, so I guess that's a start!

Mel

Old January 12th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soarin Again

Nice website

For release the glider appears to move out to the right,
releases and flies straight while the Pawnee split
S's to the right. Is this the normal release procedure
in England?

Old January 12th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

7C wrote:

As a club we need to attract more members & more
trial lessons - and this site is aimed at getting people from outside
of the gliding movement.

Mel, from my experience, selling vouchers and getting new people on the
airfield isn't the problem when it comes to membership. It's convincing
them to spend six hours a day at the field for just three flights on an
on-going basis that's the problem!

Cambridge is the only club in the UK I know of that's cracked that, via
their booking system.

Dan

Old January 12th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie

At 10:06 12 January 2007, Soarin Again wrote:
For release the glider appears to move out to the right,
releases and flies straight while the Pawnee split
S's to the right. Is this the normal release procedure
in England?

No. The release method used by this BRITISH pilot is
to pull up until the ropes nice and tight before releasing
to be sure that the tug pilot knows I've gone. I find
the resultant pitch departure also prevents them becoming
blase about the result of an accidental tug upset at
low levels.

Old January 15th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil

I am quite interested in peoples views as this site is an experiment -
it's designed totally for non-gliding people.

The previous version of the site was pretty good, and made my own UK
clubsite look pretty poor (but then it was anyway). The new site is very
good. Good pictures, nice text, imho. Well laid out; easy to get
around; and clearly aimed at the public as you admit.

I just wonder, do you have your own non-public "members" section imbedded
for use by those who know how, for club data, rosters, documents etc?

Neil

Old January 16th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Use the button "pilots", then "members site", and you will find the old
website for now.

Yes, Melissa has done a good job, and she flies her LS4 in Nationals as
well.

Have a look at the on-line booking system at "Motor glider bookings", better
than a casual system!

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old January 16th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Dan G wrote:

Mel, from my experience, selling vouchers and getting new people on the
airfield isn't the problem when it comes to membership. It's convincing
them to spend six hours a day at the field for just three flights on an
on-going basis that's the problem!

Absolutely. A quick glance at the statistics in S&G will show that
gliding attracts plenty of people - and then loses them again. Even
though many customers have no intention of taking more than the trial
lesson (not a joyride. dear me not a joyride. certainly not a joyride.
a nice, legal, trial lesson), the attrition rate for those who do join
is dreadful.

And I am afraid that's down to clubs and members, many of whom think
that learning to glide is a) a good trial of character and b) a source
of unpaid ground labour for private owners. Let's face it, learning to
glide - or trying to learn to glide - can be a miserable experience.

Ian