Most Landouts in One Day

Old May 1st 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kemp[_2_]

Default Most Landouts in One Day

Expanding on cherokee3's and Alistar's thread, I have achieved the
lofty (and unplanned) status of more than one landout in a day. Last
month with a new XC pilot, I managed to put the Duo down at one county
airport about 30 miles away and then on the retrieve tow, got off too
early and had to land at another county airport 10 miles away.

Hey I thought, "hmm, 28:1 back to the gliderport, no problem!" Pulled
the release and hit 4-6 knots sink until it ended whereupon I had a
50:1 glide over mud to make it back. *Sigh* I reluctantly turned back
to hard surface. Keeping up the cockpit banter, I commented on how in
XC gliding you need to know when to decide to land!

Now has anyone else had more than two landouts in a single soaring
day? That they will admit to? 8^)

Kemp

Old May 1st 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

"Kemp" wrote in message
ups.com...
Expanding on cherokee3's and Alistar's thread, I have achieved the
lofty (and unplanned) status of more than one landout in a day. Last
month with a new XC pilot, I managed to put the Duo down at one county
airport about 30 miles away and then on the retrieve tow, got off too
early and had to land at another county airport 10 miles away.

Hey I thought, "hmm, 28:1 back to the gliderport, no problem!" Pulled
the release and hit 4-6 knots sink until it ended whereupon I had a
50:1 glide over mud to make it back. *Sigh* I reluctantly turned back
to hard surface. Keeping up the cockpit banter, I commented on how in
XC gliding you need to know when to decide to land!

Now has anyone else had more than two landouts in a single soaring
day? That they will admit to? 8^)

Kemp

I know of one guy who landed out at another airport, had lunch, got a tow
from their operation, then landed back at home field. Stated it was one
flight and full duration. Only after flying at the other operation did I
learn of his visit.

Old May 1st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

I know of one guy who landed out at another airport, had lunch, got a tow
from their operation, then landed back at home field. Stated it was one
flight and full duration. Only after flying at the other operation did I
learn of his visit.
lol. I thought that was what barographs were for? Or did I miss something?
Mind you I recall back in the 70s some guy (from the UK I'm sorry to say)
who faked a record height climb by swopping baros after he landed. Got
found out eventually - he was too greedy.

Alistair

Old May 1st 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

I think we did this thread last year...

Erik Mann (LS8-18 P3)
Two-bagger

Old May 1st 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Glick

I know a guy that landed out at a contest once while serving as the
sniffer!!! The rest of the contestants had a good day, this guy had to
suffer the usual barrage of "cute comments" you are not alone!!

ups.com...

Old May 1st 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Papa3 wrote:
I think we did this thread last year...

If you really want to squelch a thread like this one, you have to give
references to the old one and summarize the statistics from it, and
explain why it's not possible for anything new and interesting on the
subject to have happened in the intervening year!

OK, that probably won't work, unless you also duct tape a lot people's
hands to the arms of their chairs. No, wait, they can type with their
noses. Tough problem!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old May 1st 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 1, 11:35 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Papa3 wrote:
I think we did this thread last year...

If you really want to squelch a thread like this one, you have to give
references to the old one and summarize the statistics from it, and
explain why it's not possible for anything new and interesting on the
subject to have happened in the intervening year!

OK, that probably won't work, unless you also duct tape a lot people's
hands to the arms of their chairs. No, wait, they can type with their
noses. Tough problem!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

hey now eric, have a little fuN! while not a true "landout" as far
as XC flying is concerned, at the convention, the guys from
Mississippi state were talking about doing research on ridge on Long
Island (I think) where they would rig/derig the glider sometimes 7 or
8 times a day. and it wasnt a nice light easy to rig/derig/trailer
glider either!

Old May 1st 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 1, 12:35 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

If you really want to squelch a thread like this one, you have to give
references to the old one and summarize the statistics from it, and
explain why it's not possible for anything new and interesting on the
subject to have happened in the intervening year!
--

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

No way I want to squelch this thread; good fun.

In case anyone cares, here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...&lnk=ol&hl=en&

Old May 1st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Years ago, on a cross country flight out of Minden NV, I had to land
out at a crop duster airstrip ( the welcoming reception was
outstanding, great guys out there). I was retrieved in due time, and
while crossing the Pinenut Mountains, we (the tow plane and I )
encountered very severe turbulence. I realized suddenly that I was in
free flight, having come unhooked from the tow plane without having
felt a nudge, bump, pull or anything else. It did take me a second or
so to realize that the tow plane was getting away from me, the tow
rope trailing behind him. The tow plane and I both turned around and
got back to the duster strip. The tow pilot landed just ahead of me,
we rehooked, took off and crossed the mountains again, this time
without a problem.. I had two landouts in the same afternoon, both at
the same airstrip.

Cheers, Charles

Old May 1st 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kemp[_2_]

On May 1, 11:17 am, Papa3 wrote:

No way I want to squelch this thread; good fun.

In case anyone cares, here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

Thanks Erik, now that you mention this, I do remember these from last
year. It's tough to come up with new ideas when you don't remember
what's been done before!

Kemp