Fixing a camera externally

Old August 7th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil

Default Fixing a camera externally

Is there any simple way to fix a small self-contained "web-camera" to the
wing or tail of my glider?

I have a Tony Hawks Helmet Cam, designed really for skateboarding, and I've
worn it or affixed inside the cockpit a few times, but so far held off
affixing outside. Tape would have seemed the best bet, but a little
nervous it may damage the fibre-glass body when I pull it off, or it will
fall off!

Neil

Old August 7th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

WARNING: None of this is something that the FAA condones and may be
downright illegal. If the ship is "experimental" then you may have
more leeway.

A few comments;

1) The AV industry always use "gaffers" tape to affix things. This
stuff is very good at keeping things stuck while still coming off
cleanly. Think of this as really good cloth "duct" tape with a price
to match.
2) Most external cameras I now see being used are "lipstick" cameras
which are very small and have a much lower wind loading. These are
small enough to be directly taped to the wing, tail, etc. They also
have smaller lenses so they are less likely to get a bug in the face.
They have video out so a cable must be routed back into the cockpit to
a device to record the video.
3) Non-lipstick cameras have also been used. The advantage is that
they are self contained cameras plus recorders. Anchoring is
typically done by using a large-ish aluminum plate which wraps around
the leading edge (wing or tail) and is held in place with gaffers
tape.
4) Asymetrical wind loading by putting a large camera way out on a
wing tip is something to avoid.
5) Don't' do this if there is even a hint of rain as this will distroy
the camera in a hurry.

- John

Old August 7th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 6, 5:22 pm, "Neil" wrote:
Is there any simple way to fix a small self-contained "web-camera" to the
wing or tail of my glider?

I have a Tony Hawks Helmet Cam, designed really for skateboarding, and I've
worn it or affixed inside the cockpit a few times, but so far held off
affixing outside. Tape would have seemed the best bet, but a little
nervous it may damage the fibre-glass body when I pull it off, or it will
fall off!

Neil

Have one of these guys hold it for you.

http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/137.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/122.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/132.jpg

Caution, don't blow beer through your nose onto your keyboard.

Old August 7th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 7, 2:48 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Aug 6, 5:22 pm, "Neil" wrote:

Is there any simple way to fix a small self-contained "web-camera" to the
wing or tail of my glider?

I have a Tony Hawks Helmet Cam, designed really for skateboarding, and I've
worn it or affixed inside the cockpit a few times, but so far held off
affixing outside. Tape would have seemed the best bet, but a little
nervous it may damage the fibre-glass body when I pull it off, or it will
fall off!

Neil

Have one of these guys hold it for you.

http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/137.jpg...blanik/132.jpg

Caution, don't blow beer through your nose onto your keyboard.

Or this guy

http://aeroklub.bialystok.biz/myegal...rderby=d ateD

Old August 9th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil

Have one of these guys hold it for you.

http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/137.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/122.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/132.jpg

I'd have to admit, John's idea about gaffer tape was more in line with my
thoughts.
I'd just worry about wing-drop on launch with one of these guys. ;-)

Neil

Old August 9th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 8, 5:13 pm, "Neil" wrote:
Have one of these guys hold it for you.

http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/137.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/122.jpg
http://alto.nethit.fi/blanik/132.jpg

I'd have to admit, John's idea about gaffer tape was more in line with my
thoughts.
I'd just worry about wing-drop on launch with one of these guys. ;-)

Neil

Lipstick cams are a good way to go, but they also require power. Not
sure of if the little wireless links will do a good job with 520 lines
so a wire feed is likely best.

Mini-DV tape may be best if going above 10000ft msl. Most HDD devices
are only rated to about there. IIRC, there is a Fujitsu drive rated
to 10000M but may not fit. No idea if mini-DVD works at altitude.

Try a search for Blanik Boogie on YouTube. Not for everyone, but an
interesting departure.

Frank

Old August 9th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
--=JJay=--[_2_]

Frank Whiteley napisaƂ(a):
Try a search for Blanik Boogie on YouTube. Not for everyone, but an
interesting departure.

Here you can see my movie http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=xYKELWybDc4
Not a Blanik but also starts with B Bocian skydive

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, my photos on airliners.net - http://tiny.pl/rcwl
Old August 9th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_2_]

On Aug 6, 6:22 pm, "Neil" wrote:
Is there any simple way to fix a small self-contained "web-camera" to the
wing or tail of my glider?

I have a Tony Hawks Helmet Cam, designed really for skateboarding, and I've
worn it or affixed inside the cockpit a few times, but so far held off
affixing outside. Tape would have seemed the best bet, but a little
nervous it may damage the fibre-glass body when I pull it off, or it will
fall off!

Neil

Many years ago, I mounted a simple fixed-focus 35mm camera on a home-
made contraption that I clamped to the spike that protrudes from the
nose of a 2-33. The camera was triggered by a piece of choke cable
threaded through the air vent, emerging from the panel right in front
of the stick. The camera was pointed straight back, and so I got a
picture of my smiling face through the front of the canopy. These
little cameras have fairly wide-angle lenses, so the view includes a
few feet of wing on each side, and a little sky above and ground
below.

Just in case this wasn't quite in accordance with the letter of the
FARs, no evidence survives except the photo itself, which I am
prepared to say was Photoshopped. By someone else. Someone I never
met. OK?

p.

Old August 9th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
Many years ago, I mounted a simple fixed-focus 35mm camera on a home-
made contraption that I clamped to the spike that protrudes from the
nose of a 2-33.

Along the same lines... There is a little thumbscrew/wedge gizmo that you
can buy at most any hardware store that is intended as a home window security
lock. One or two of those things will clamp to that top spine on a Blanik fuze
and will hold a light camera just fine without puting a scratch on the glider.

Just in case this wasn't quite in accordance with the letter of the
FARs, no evidence survives except the photo itself, which I am
prepared to say was Photoshopped. By someone else. Someone I never
met. OK?

I don't remember who it was that mounted the camera on the Blanik, or when
or where it happened...Honest!

Vaughn