Interested in soaring safety? Read this

Old December 14th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Interested in soaring safety? Read this

There is not one mention of gliders in the following article. If this
doesn't convice you, your students, or the undisciplined pilots in
your community to get with the program I don't know what will.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_gawande

Matt Michael
Old December 14th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Well, I'll be the one who didn't get it.

This article is about intensive care, and how in modern times,
medicine does wonders.

But what does that has to do with soaring?

Thanks

Old December 14th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I opened the link, took a look, and had the same reaction as JePlane
(moi aussi je plane). Must have missed something.

Cheers, Charles
Old December 14th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_2_]

On Dec 14, 7:58 am, wrote:
I opened the link, took a look, and had the same reaction as JePlane
(moi aussi je plane). Must have missed something.

Cheers, Charles

Checklist for B-29! ie. use checklist
Old December 14th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 14, 9:58 am, wrote:
I opened the link, took a look, and had the same reaction as JePlane
(moi aussi je plane). Must have missed something.

Cheers, Charles

well you must not have read the whole article. its about using
checklists in the ICU (i.e. Life Support System). Dramatic decreases
in infections were noted when doctors were bound to follow simple
checklists for seemingly simple tasks. consider your glider as your
ICU for the day every time you go fly. after all, if your Life
Support System fails, you probably wont be far behind it.
Old December 14th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Ah? It's all about checklists?

Ok great. Checklist to assemble the wings so we don't forget the
pins.... Checklist before X-country, so we don't forget safety kits
and such...

Yeah great.

But let me tell you, I have a lot more of a list while flying a
Citation in IMC. So why do I fly gliders too? So I can enjoy a lot
more freedom in VMC while minimizing radio calls, FMS programming, and
check-list reading.

It is not only check-list which will save people flying as a hobby. It
is the recency in their logbook.

But I agree: "The checklist is there to protect you, therefore
protect the checklist"

Richard Depinay
Old December 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz

The point is to not assume that you will never forget a vital
function, no matter how good a pilot you think you are.

Or rather, that it is assured that at some point, everyone will forget
something ans so the importance of the checklist and that the ego in
us will always try to convince us the opposite.
Old December 15th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Dec 14, 3:20 pm, tommytoyz wrote:
The point is to not assume that you will never forget a vital
function, no matter how good a pilot you think you are.

Or rather, that it is assured that at some point, everyone will forget
something ans so the importance of the checklist and that the ego in
us will always try to convince us the opposite.

I don't think anyone questions the importance of checklists, the
problem is how to enforce yourself to use it, and use it correctly.
There is much higher chance to forget using a checklist, or skip an
item in the checklist, than making any other mistakes. Especially the
landing checklist, any distraction and the first thing to go will
likely be the checklist. Any ideas how to make sure you never skip an
item on the landing checklist?

Ramy

Old December 15th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Ramy wrote:
On Dec 14, 3:20 pm, tommytoyz wrote:
The point is to not assume that you will never forget a vital
function, no matter how good a pilot you think you are.

Or rather, that it is assured that at some point, everyone will forget
something ans so the importance of the checklist and that the ego in
us will always try to convince us the opposite.

I don't think anyone questions the importance of checklists, the
problem is how to enforce yourself to use it, and use it correctly.
There is much higher chance to forget using a checklist, or skip an
item in the checklist, than making any other mistakes. Especially the
landing checklist, any distraction and the first thing to go will
likely be the checklist. Any ideas how to make sure you never skip an
item on the landing checklist?

Dymotape "WUF" (or whatever your acronym of choice is) onto the panel?

Now, if somebody could come up with a good acronym for a dry, unflapped
glider.... ULT (Undercarriage, Lookout, Trim) is about all I can come up
with.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Dec 14, 3:52 pm, jeplane wrote:
Well, I'll be the one who didn't get it.
This article is about intensive care, and how in modern times,
medicine does wonders.
But what does that has to do with soaring?

I think the parallels for 1,2,3 (below) between hospitals and gliding
are obvious.

1) experienced, highly skilled, and highly self confident people
2) those people doing similar (but slightly different) tasks over and
over again
3) unnecessarily high Bad Things happening

After...
a) introducing *multiple* checklists, one for each task
b) providing an atmosphere in which *everybody* *checked* the highly
skilled people followed the checklists every time
c) actually following the checklists
....Bad Things almost completely stopped happening

Overall, it was a well written article, unfortunately spread over 8
pages