Very Nice Camera for Glider...Stills or HD Video

Old June 10th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Very Nice Camera for Glider...Stills or HD Video

Tom Serkowki had a post on May 14 about this camera. I bought one from
6th St Camera for $373 delivered. Got a 16 GB SD card from amazon
with a cute little USB reader (Transcend) for $44.

Camera is a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3. Great features include 12X
optical zoom, VERY wide angle 25mm, image stablization and HD video in
either AVCHD Lite or Movie MPEG. It has a nice quality Leica lens but
it is a pocket camera. I took some JPEG stills with this camera and a
6 year old Sony I have with a much better lens and the old Sony
produces sharper pictures but this little job is great for taking in
the glider. You can hold the camera in one hand while flying and the
image stabilization feature takes care of jumping around around of
image.

Click on this for an example of HD video on You Tube. Be sure to click
the HD button on lower right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTLogEyqXg4

Regards,

77
Old June 10th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

That is cool! I love the high resolution and the fact that the panel and
the airport are both in focus.

Paul Remde

Old June 10th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 10, 9:36*am, wrote:
[...]

I'm not seeing any "HD" button. What am I missing?
Old June 10th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 10, 2:09 pm, Ed Winchester wrote:
77,

That's a very nice movie. What settings were you actually using for the
linked video? How long does the battery last, and is there some way to
power it externally? How long would the 16GB memory last when recording
HD like this?

Thanks,
Ed

wrote:
[...]

Ed, this video was 201MB and lasted 56 seconds thus a ball park for
the 16GB card would be 60 to 65 minutes. However, the manual says 2
hrs and 52 minutes so not sure what the real capacity is. The manual
also states that you are limited to 2 GB of continuous recording..That
would compute to about 10 minutes per continuous shooting.I think this
is for some legal reason. I don't know how long the battery would last
shooting multiple 10 minute scenes but I believe it is rated at about
3 hours. I have not had it long enough to really test the battery
life. As to the camera settings, it has a shooting mode called
"Intelligent auto" which I used for this video. Can't tell you what it
was really doing. I don't know of any way to power it externally but
Tom Serkowski has one and I think he may be looking at that. There is
some very good scoop about the camera on one of the digital camera
review sites. If you want to know more google the name and model and
you'll see a lot of reviews.
Old June 10th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 10, 2:33 pm, wrote:
On Jun 10, 9:36 am, wrote:

[...]

When you get the picture box with the video in it on You Tube, there
are some small gray icons on the lower right under the video. One has
HD on it and the one to the right of that will play the video on the
full screen of your notebook. Hitting the escape key witll bring you
back to the smaller view.
Old June 10th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

Thanks for sharing the video! I could even feel the air between you
and the ground.

I recommend to get an extra battery on ebay. It's a very cheap ($10)
insurance. Last summer, my camera's battery died when I was flying
right over Grand Canyon, and I cursed myself all the way back to
Parowan. Don't make the same stupid mistake.

-Gen
Old June 10th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 10, 2:56*pm, wrote:
On Jun 10, 2:33 pm, wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:36 am, wrote:

[...]

back to the smaller view.- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm... I have a feeling it's a browser thing (I'm using IE8 at work).
I'll try again from home(IE7). Thanks!
Old June 11th 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
77

On Jun 10, 4:45 pm, wrote:
On Jun 10, 2:56 pm, wrote:

On Jun 10, 2:33 pm, wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:36 am, wrote:

[...]

When I use IE8 I have to enable "run add on" to allow the Adobe Flash
player to operate. It then works fine for me.
Old June 15th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sandy

On Jun 10, 2:29*pm, gen wrote:
Thanks for sharing the video! I could even feel the air between you
and the ground.

I recommend to get an extra battery on ebay. It's a very cheap ($10)
insurance. Last summer, my camera's battery died when I was flying
right over Grand Canyon, and I cursed myself all the way back to
Parowan. Don't make the same stupid mistake.

-Gen

I bought this camera a week ago. It works well in the cockpit, but
there's a couple of gotchas to it.
1. You need at least the equivalent of a Sandisk Extreme III SDHC card
able to write at 30 mb/sec and rated class 6 in order to record more
than one minute's video. At that speed though, the manual says you can
shoot until the card's full or the battery runs out. Battery is
limited to 150 minutes.
2. The AC adapter can only be used when playing back through the mini
HDMI cable, not when you are uploading to a PC. This is because the
slot for syncing with a PC is the same one used for the AC adapter.
3. The AC adapter needs a special fitting on the end that doesn't come
with it stock. You have to get that as part of a special set. I'm
still working on that. The special fitting is shown in the manual but
is not listed on the Panasonic site for either the U.S. or Canada at
this time.
4. You need a core 2 duo or better processor to see normal frame rate
movies shot with the AVCHD format on your PC.

Pictures are pretty good so far, though. I've discovered a special
setting for aircraft windows which seems to filter out some
reflections from the canopy, but not all.
Sandy