Glider Shapes

Old January 4th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Glider Shapes

This sort of follows up on the future of soaring thread, but is more
focused on the sailplane design aspect.

Ok.....here is the scenario: the powers that be have decided that once
again the soaring community needs a sailplane that represents Joe
Sailplane Pilot. Joe sailplane pilot wants a sailplane that will get
him where he wants to go, but on a budget. Joe's a smart
guy..............he knows a thing or two about sailplanes; having
spent
considerable time poking and prodding their various bits and pieces.
He
decides he wants a composite ship, now he
want's......................what????

Here is where you fill in the blanks.............if for no other
reason
than to whack away at the keyboard.....or not!

Cheers,
Brad
Old January 4th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 4, 11:41*am, Brad wrote:
[...]

Performance is the obvious one. Other than that, I would say ease of
rigging, cockpit comfort, and prototypical looks. It's gotta look
cool! )
Old January 4th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_4_]

Brad wrote:
This sort of follows up on the future of soaring thread, but is more
focused on the sailplane design aspect.

Ok.....here is the scenario: the powers that be have decided that once
again the soaring community needs a sailplane that represents Joe
Sailplane Pilot. Joe sailplane pilot wants a sailplane that will get
him where he wants to go, but on a budget. Joe's a smart
guy..............he knows a thing or two about sailplanes; having
spent
considerable time poking and prodding their various bits and pieces.
He
decides he wants a composite ship, now he
want's......................what????

Here is where you fill in the blanks.............if for no other
reason
than to whack away at the keyboard.....or not!

It would be shaped like this:

$24,999

:-)

Honestly, if it's a composite ship, even with fixed gear, mid 30s:1
performance or better should be a reasonable expectation.
New, same performance, and just a bit more $$ than the Mosquito I sold a
couple years ago? Easy.

Shawn
Old January 4th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

$24,999

:-)

Honestly, if it's a composite ship, even with fixed gear, mid 30s:1
performance or better should be a reasonable expectation.
New, same performance, and just a bit more $$ than the Mosquito I sold a
couple years ago? *Easy.

I like the way you think...................I have some ideas for
shapes rattling around in my head.

Brad
Old January 4th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Brad wrote:
[...]

Start with perhaps an obvious observation.

If the end result doesn't look kinda like something that's already
popular (Discus, LS-4, ASWG-XX, etc.) then it's not likely to be as
popular as one would hope. Consider Genesis and PW-5. They are good
gliders, but the odd shape sways people away from them.

With that said...

Gotta have retractable gear.

I'd suggest 40/1 is a minimum target, mid 30's is not going to sway
people away from the number of ships that already exceed that.

Be able to accomodate most pilots. Pilot comfort w/ chute is a must.

Easy rigging and automatic hookups

No flaps

Have room in the fuse for future model expansion to include a sustainer
at least and a small fixed tank for gas.

No gel coat would be a huge plus, particularly for the harsher climates.

Standard control system layout (no parallelogram stick)

Nose and CG release options

No nasty handling characteristics.

Sprung gear and a good brake

Tilt up panel (at least as an option)

Room for 2+ batteries.

Plenty of ventilation

Old January 4th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_4_]

Gary Emerson wrote:

snip

Standard control system layout (no parallelogram stick)

I agree with most of what you posted (although if performance is OK
w/out retract, i.e. near 40:1, I would say save the bucks/complication)
But why no parallelogram stick? I really appreciated it in my Skeeter
in rough air.

Shawn
Old January 4th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Shawn wrote:
Gary Emerson wrote:

snip

Standard control system layout (no parallelogram stick)

I agree with most of what you posted (although if performance is OK
w/out retract, i.e. near 40:1, I would say save the bucks/complication)
But why no parallelogram stick? I really appreciated it in my Skeeter
in rough air.

Shawn

only because it's not "typical" it's a marketing issue, not an issue
with the viability of the design.

most of the glass ships out of germany save some grob 102 club's are
retract - besides, I think the performance hit for fixed gear will be
significant - include gear warning switches as standard...

Old January 4th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 4, 8:53*am, (Doug Hoffman) wrote:

Sounds like an HP-24. *Except the flaps.

And we are planning an unflapped version, our molds are based on that
provision.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
Old January 4th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brtlmj

Standard control system layout (no parallelogram stick)

Excuse my ignorance... what is a parallelogram stick?

Bartek
Old January 4th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

brtlmj wrote:
Standard control system layout (no parallelogram stick)

Excuse my ignorance... what is a parallelogram stick?

Bartek

The standard configuration has the stick pivoting forward and aft as
well as side to side. The parallelogram stick SLIDES forward and aft,
but pivots side to side. Some people really like it, but it's a minor
design by numbers.

Glider art Mal Soaring 2 December 13th 06 06:54 PM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Sea Glider OscarCVox Soaring 8 July 12th 04 12:08 AM
Calculating CL for various wing shapes ian .at.bendigo Home Built 0 August 28th 03 12:47 PM