A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Compare MRX with PF Portable

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 6th 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Compare MRX with PF Portable

Now that my PowerFlarm PCAS performs as well or better than my Zaon (thanks to the latest firmware and the shorter antenna)

Just last weekend I flew another side by side comparison between the ZAON MRX and my Power FLARM portable.

For about half of the flight the Power FLARM indicated a spurious warning of my own mode C transponder. (Yes, I do have it configured so it knows I have a transponder)

I am using the antennas supplied with the portable but have them extended away from the unit with about 12 inches of RG58U. That allows me to get everything on the glareshield of my PA28.

As I reported earlier, the detection range of the PFP is much improved with the latest firmware update. Hovever, the spurious alerting of ownship tranponder is a signicant issue as this alert will take priority over any other transponder targets. I don't know if it also inhibits FLARM and ADS-B warnings.

My MRX won't be for sale for a while yet.

Andy