Speaking about Sonerai's................

Old September 14th 03, 04:37 PM
Vincent Vega

Default Speaking about Sonerai's................

I have been eyeing the Sonerai for awhile now and was wanting opinions on
the mid wing and low wing.Any handling differences, speed, etc... Or any
other comments would be appreciated. Also, What was your completed cost?..
Thanks...

Old September 14th 03, 07:52 PM
JFLEISC

I have been eyeing the Sonerai for awhile now and was wanting opinions on
the mid wing and low wing.Any handling differences, speed, etc... Or any
other comments would be appreciated. Also, What was your completed cost?..
Thanks...

I owned a 2L for 2 or 3 years. About as twitchy an airplane as you want to fly.
Once you get used to it all other aircraft seem to handle like trucks. Wasn't
bad on ground handling though. Was some of the best quality and cheapest tail
wheel time I ever had. Everything included except tie down it cost me $13.50 an
hour to fly. That includes insurance and annuals. I weighed 190 back then and
it really was a one person airplane.

Jim

Jim
Old September 15th 03, 05:05 AM
JR

What do you mean by twitchy?
Thanks

Old September 15th 03, 04:44 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

"Vincent Vega" wrote in message
m...
I have been eyeing the Sonerai for awhile now and was wanting opinions on
the mid wing and low wing.Any handling differences, speed, etc... Or any
other comments would be appreciated. Also, What was your completed cost?..
Thanks...

I have flown both the mid-wing and low wing versions. They seem to handle
and perform that same. The low wing version offers better visibility (when
landing) and perhaps, slightly lower landing speeds. For a tall person (with
long legs) the low wing is better as it can be difficult to get your legs
under the spar on the mid wing version.

Unless you go with a big engine (2180) they really are one seat airplanes.
If you have the big engine, you can put about a 120 pounder in the front
seat.

The 2L I flew the most, had a 1835 on it and would true about 140mph at 3500
feet. Sensitive controls and very tame landing characteristics for a "hot"
tailwheel airplane.

Rick

Old September 15th 03, 10:16 PM
JFLEISC

What do you mean by twitchy?
Thanks

Compared to most any other aircraft (because it's 'short coupled' and it's
aierlon is the full length of the wing) if you even "think" about a turning,
etc. you're already there. Over controlling is very easy. After about 10 or 20
hours you'll get used to it. After about 50 hours every other airplane feels
like a slug. (This is a true story, and I still feel stupid about it...) After
around 50 hours I was due for a BFR. I rented a Cessna 172 that I used to from
the local FBO to practice in it before I took the review in it. I took off
straight out for another less busy airport to do pattern work. When I got there
I almost panicked because the plane would barely make turns into the pattern.
When I landed I stopped and did a walk around, sure that I missed a gust lock.
I didn't...I just forgot that other aircraft simply fly like that compared to
the Sonerai. You forget how much muscle they can take.
The Sonerai lands blind and fast but (without a full swiveling tail wheel) I
thought it was better on the ground than the J-3 I learned in.

Jim