Hazy center A-6E loadout

Old August 26th 04, 10:37 PM
Allen Epps

Default Hazy center A-6E loadout

All,
As Mike correctly pointed out, it was more common to see Intruders with
MERs vice TERs during his time. This begs two questions; this A-6E
(buno 154167 for those that care) is finished in the TPS scheme as it
saw service during ODS. What would be a good loadout? On TR we saw our
squadrons (VA-36 and 65) launch during ODS carrying a wide variety of
ordinance, from a full load out of Mk-82¹s during the end bombing the
highway out of Kuwait, or more interesting mixed Skippers, Rockeye and
Zuni loadouts for Anti-Surface ops and four Mk-84 LGBs during one
strike I escorted on the Basra thermal power plant.

The more general question is, what is better for museum aircraft, show
an atypical load to demonstrate the variety of ordinance carried or
show a typical load to view the plane as it was operational?

Just thought I¹d post an actual, real Nav Air question as a balance to
the other newsgroups.

Pugs
Old August 26th 04, 11:18 PM
Mike Kanze

Pugs,

Obviously I'm not a museum curator, but as a former B/N, I would go with a
"typical" or "representative" loadout for the type (A-6), the model (in this
case, an E) and the era in which it flew. Since I never flew in the E, I'd
defer to someone who did - assuming there was really that much difference
between the loadout for an E versus an A.

On the other hand, if the bird were one of the more unique A-6 variants, I
would expect different: 4 drop tanks and a centerline buddy store for a
KA-6D, or three drop tanks and two Standard ARMs or SHRIKES for any of the
three A-6B variants.

--
Mike Kanze

"He (John Kerry) said, it is unconscionable to use the tragic memory of a
war in order to get elected, unless of course, it's the Vietnam War."

- Jay Leno

et...