Flap Controller: Does anyone make this?

Old July 3rd 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Flap Controller: Does anyone make this?

The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom)
flap switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into
the circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps
into 10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the
same going the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap
motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as
X is something I could set.
Old July 3rd 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message

The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom) flap
switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into the
circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps into
10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the same going
the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap
motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as X
is something I could set.

Have you looked at adjustable time delay relays? Perhaps Grainger?

I assume the motor has limits switches for 0 and full flaps.

Old July 3rd 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Maxwell wrote:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom) flap
switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into the
circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps into
10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the same going
the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap
motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as X
is something I could set.

Have you looked at adjustable time delay relays? Perhaps Grainger?

I assume the motor has limits switches for 0 and full flaps.

Yes there are limit switches for 0 and full.

If you know a type of relay that might work I'd appreciate a URL. Google
searches haven't found me anything yet.
Old July 3rd 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...

Yes there are limit switches for 0 and full.

If you know a type of relay that might work I'd appreciate a URL. Google
searches haven't found me anything yet.

You can probably find a better fit and perhaps even price from a local
electrical controls supplier, but perhaps this might work.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJL6

Shop around, there are hundreds of different brands, models and features to
choose from. Many are even programmable now days. You just need one that
will come on for 10 seconds or so, each time you bump it with the switch you
already have - and provide a simple adjustment you can tweak as desired.

Old July 3rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 3, 8:05 am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom)
flap switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into
the circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps
into 10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the
same going the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap
motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as
X is something I could set.

Better to go the airplane junkyard and get the flap-follower
setup from a later-model Cessna. You move the lever to the setting you
want, and the flaps go directly to that setting. If they want too much
money, just have a look at how it's done and copy it. It's nothing
more than some microswitches (cheap at the electronics suppliers), a
lever, a cam, and a push-pull cable that provides the feedback from
the flaps.

Dan
Old July 3rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Severyn

http://tinyurl.com/55dvln
Van's Web store
Works great. Not exactly what you specified. It goes down in increments,
like you want.

"Up" is either all at once, or "up" for the time you hold the switch. Needs
a 3 position switch.

J. Severyn

Old July 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
d.l.anderson

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:05:57 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:

The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom)
flap switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into
the circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps
into 10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the
same going the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap
motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as
X is something I could set.

Have you looked at something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINEAR-ACTUATOR-...QQcmdZViewItem
It's programmable to 3 preset locations, but you can slew the actuator
to any position by pressing the center button and either left or right
button simultaneously. I found a spec sheet at:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/image...AS5-1577-C.pdf

It must be used with a linear actuator with a feedback potentiometer
like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spal-Linear-Actu...QQcmdZViewItem
Spec sheet at:
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/image...lact_specs.pdf

Or, you could mount an external feedback pot on your existing flap
actuator.

I couldn't find where these particular automotive linear actuators
(used in "...power-operated hoods, trunks, tonneau covers, or any
other heavy-duty application") have been used in aircraft, but I'm
thinking of installing one in my RV-4.

D. Anderson
Great Falls, MT
Old July 10th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Doug Palmer

I have used the FPS system in my aircraft and have been very happy
with it. I do not have the trim adjust function hooked up, never got
around to it but the Flap system works very well
http://www.aircraftextras.com/