Fuel Selector Valve

Old March 7th 04, 04:17 AM
Tom Cummings

Default Fuel Selector Valve

We were doing the annual on a 1973 Cessna 172M today and discovered the fuel
selector valve would not shut off the fuel - in any postion. The handle is
not slipping on the shaft and there is mechanical connect through the
linkage. The detents can be felt in each position and we can visually see
the component turning on the exterior topside of the valve assembly. So the
valve has to come out so we can examine it thoroughly.
Anybody experienced this?
Tom Cummings

Old March 7th 04, 03:44 PM
jls

"Tom Cummings" wrote in message
hlink.net...
We were doing the annual on a 1973 Cessna 172M today and discovered the

fuel
selector valve would not shut off the fuel - in any postion. The handle is
not slipping on the shaft and there is mechanical connect through the
linkage. The detents can be felt in each position and we can visually see
the component turning on the exterior topside of the valve assembly. So

the
valve has to come out so we can examine it thoroughly.
Anybody experienced this?
Tom Cummings

I just rebuilt one in a '56 which is probably the same or similar. Getting
to it is difficult --- you remove two inspection plates on the belly and
then you must remove the valve. You have to take the u-joint out from the
cabin by pulling a few screws, iirc, and the cotter key.

Just take a look at the manual. The fuel selector is operated by the
movement of a cam on the selector shaft which moves ball bearings which push
another larger ball off the o-ringed seat for the appropriate valve to open.
When the selected valve is closed, a spring pushes the larger ball against
the o-ring and retainer. When the o-rings go bad, the valve will not shut
off the flow of fuel.

Simple repair, and o-rings are cheap, but hell to get to and to put back.

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
C210 fuel tank vents Eric Brown Owning 2 September 27th 03 02:59 AM