What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

Old October 28th 03, 01:57 PM
Larry Dighera

Default What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

Source:
AOPA ePilot Volume 5, Issue 43 October 24, 2003

PRESIDENTIAL TFR FORECAST
Be careful if you'll be flying in Texas next week. Except for a
visit to Dallas next Wednesday, October 29, and a trip to San
Antonio on Thursday, October 30, President Bush is expected to be
at his ranch in Crawford from October 29 through November 3. This
schedule is based on AOPA's best information at this time, and
could change. Most temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) for
presidential travel have been 60 nm in diameter; the vice
president gets a smaller radius. Check AOPA Online
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html ) for the latest on
these restrictions.

Is the VP's TFR radius smaller because the intercepter aircraft
employed in policing that TFR are faster? What prevents the
presidential TFR from being smaller?

Inquiring minds want to know the logic behind the difference in size
between the presidential and vice presidential TFRs.
Old October 28th 03, 02:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

You're asking the people who set up TFRs to *reason*?

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 28th 03, 02:43 PM
Teacherjh

What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

He doesn't eat as much?

Jose

Old October 28th 03, 03:33 PM
Joe Johnson

Heheheh...he clearly eats *more*

Old October 28th 03, 03:36 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:26:58 -0500, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR?

You're asking the people who set up TFRs to *reason*?

Well, I was hoping ...

Is it presumptuous of me to expect the size of the vice/presidental
TFRs to be based on intruder intercept response time? The difference
in size between the two TFRs would seem to contradict that notion.
This begs the question, upon what is the size of the TFRs based? Is
it just arbitrary, or an absurd "mine is bigger than yours" thing?

Perhaps this is a good question to pose to AOPA.
Old October 28th 03, 03:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...

Inquiring minds want to know the logic behind the difference in size
between the presidential and vice presidential TFRs.

Protocol. Presidents get bigger perqs than VP's. If Dick Cheney
gets bumped off, the only thing that happens is W gets dumber.

Old October 28th 03, 04:46 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:58:28 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote in Message-Id: :

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...

Inquiring minds want to know the logic behind the difference in size
between the presidential and vice presidential TFRs.

Protocol. Presidents get bigger perqs than VP's.

The presidential TFRs are perquisites? Over 3,000 square miles of
airspace is a large perq indeed. If the TFR size is not set because
of rational criteria, it is unreasonable on face, IMNSHO.

If Dick Cheney gets bumped off, the only thing that happens is W gets dumber.

Thanks for the chuckle, but what happens if Jr is bumped off first?
Does Cheney's TFR automatically expand?

This is important stuff. We need answers. :-)

Old October 28th 03, 05:44 PM
Kevin McCue

Lets put this as it should be, Airspace is a volume. Presidential TFR is
about 13,000 cubic miles. (As if it has anything to do with it) Logic would
say that VP is less important so less airspace. If shrub gets it, then
Cheney is the Prez so he gets the 13K cubic miles.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old October 28th 03, 08:42 PM
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Is the VP's TFR radius smaller because the intercepter aircraft
employed in policing that TFR are faster? What prevents the
presidential TFR from being smaller?

The radius is a function of the ego of the person being "protected."

Old October 28th 03, 08:43 PM
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Is it just arbitrary, or an absurd "mine is bigger than yours" thing?

Unfortunately, a great deal of security for public personalities is
indeed based on a "mine is bigger than yours" form of reasoning. This
is especially true for _visible_ forms of security, such as the TFRs.

Often the security isn't there to protect anyone, it's there to announce
to everyone else how important a person is.