Condor Soaring

Old January 3rd 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Condor Soaring

Is there anyone here in this newsgroup, who plays CondorSoaring (
computergame ) ?

Old January 3rd 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jacob Olsen wrote:
Is there anyone here in this newsgroup, who plays CondorSoaring (
computergame ) ?

I do.

/Jancsika

Old January 3rd 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jacob Olsen wrote:
Is there anyone here in this newsgroup, who plays CondorSoaring (
computergame ) ?

I do. Although one can certainly consider it as simply a "computer
game", I view it to be more of an excellent soaring flight simulator.
Useful for when real soaring is not available. Such as during the
winter in Michigan. The programmers got the physics right with this
one.

Having said that, I will admit to being very pleasantly surprised and
entertained by the real-time online competitions that are available
with Condor.

Regards,

-Doug

Old January 3rd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Hoffman wrote:
Jacob Olsen wrote:

Is there anyone here in this newsgroup, who plays CondorSoaring (
computergame ) ?

I do. Although one can certainly consider it as simply a "computer
game", I view it to be more of an excellent soaring flight simulator.
Useful for when real soaring is not available. Such as during the
winter in Michigan. The programmers got the physics right with this
one.

Having said that, I will admit to being very pleasantly surprised and
entertained by the real-time online competitions that are available
with Condor.

When are they adding 20 mm canons and heat seeking missiles? That'd be
schweet!
;-)

Shawn
Old January 5th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I should mention that in my real glider I have a tendency to favor
circling to the left. Just a bad habit. When I started with Condor I
found my self doing precisely the same thing! And circling right with
Condor gave me the same uneasy feeling I got in my glider. Spooky
real... So, naturally I have been working on thermalling to the right
with the simulator. I'm confident it is helping. I'll know for sure
next spring.

The other neat thing about Condor is that it puts out an NMEA GPS
signal from your PC that you can plug right in to your favorite PDA
flight computer. Pretty nice for trying out new PDA software. The
PDA/software "thinks" it is actually flying. It may as well be.

Condor is full of surprising details. When you "look" out at a wing
during a hard pull-up you can see the wings flex in reaction. There's
a lot more.

Regards,

-Doug

Old January 5th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jacob Olsen writes
Is there anyone here in this newsgroup, who plays CondorSoaring (
computergame ) ?

Yep. Finally brought it just before Christmas, despite vowing never to
put my money in their direction because of the developers' opposition to
releasing a demo of the game. But principles be damned. I've since
upgraded my machine to something I knew would run it with ease, wanted
something to replace SFSPC and couldn't abide the idea of the
featureless terrain that comes part and parcel with the
satellite/photographic scenery used by their obvious competitor. Even
though the competitor concerned do provide an evaluation copy of their
sim and I did love the way they simulated the weather and drew their
clouds - far superior to CS, in my opinion.

But the terrain detail in Condor won me over. The clincher was when
somebody at our club posted a link to a video made by one of the Condor
community, "Condor Smoking" which, I believe, was a take-off of the
video UK Smoking. I watched it, then decided I had to have the sim that
created it and bought it that night.

I haven't been disappointed, and was especially surprised to find I
enjoyed the online competition side of it quite as much as I did. In
terms of soaring, it doesn't replace the real thing, but it does provide
a nice enough distraction when wife, work and/or weather conspire to
keep me
grounded . . . I'd certainly recommend it.

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.harlequin.uk.net