NTSB: Crossfield Not Warned Of Adverse Weather

Old August 3rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default NTSB: Crossfield Not Warned Of Adverse Weather

Avweb's story, which has a link to NTSB's factual report, notes that Scott
Crossfield was not warned of adverse weather. However, he did have
access to XM Satellite Radio with a subscription to its basic weather
package. The autopsy likewise isn't suggestive of any obvious causative
medical issue (unless I'm misreading it):

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...958 21-1.html
Old August 3rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Using XM radio to avoid Tstorms can be pretty hazardous unless you
allow a very wide margin of error.

1. Time delay up to 15-20 minutes
2. Max Precip isn't strongly correlated with max turbulence
3. Lightning shows cloud to ground only, not cloud to cloud.

Old August 3rd 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Paul kgyy" wrote:

Using XM radio to avoid Tstorms can be pretty hazardous unless you
allow a very wide margin of error.

It is odd that he was taking so much advice from ATC. XM Wx should easily
keep you clear of level 5-6 stuff, and is much better than depending on
controllers to avoid big CBs.

If Crossfield's XM Wx was working, he was either ignoring it or pushing way
too hard.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 3rd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 8/2/2007 8:48:11 PM, Paul kgyy wrote:

3. Lightning shows cloud to ground only, not cloud to cloud.

Interesting. I use WSI's downlinked weather service, but wondered if XM was
better due to their lightning strike date. Is this limitation
(cloud-to-cloud) documented on their site, or in other words, how did you
learn of this? I am curious from a WSI comparison point of view.

--
Peter
Old August 3rd 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Aug 3, 8:05 am, "Peter R." wrote:
On 8/2/2007 8:48:11 PM, Paul kgyy wrote:

3. Lightning shows cloud to ground only, not cloud to cloud.

Interesting. I use WSI's downlinked weather service, but wondered if XM was
better due to their lightning strike date. Is this limitation
(cloud-to-cloud) documented on their site, or in other words, how did you
learn of this? I am curious from a WSI comparison point of view.

--
Peter

Not sure where I saw it - maybe AOPA magazine or Plane & Pilot.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Paul kgyy" wrote:

Using XM radio to avoid Tstorms can be pretty hazardous unless you
allow a very wide margin of error.

It is odd that he was taking so much advice from ATC. XM Wx should easily
keep you clear of level 5-6 stuff, and is much better than depending on
controllers to avoid big CBs.

Last I checked many controllers only have transponder indications with no
weather on their display at all. Even if they can paint the weather, they
have no obligation to help you with weather if they are under heavy
workload.

Danny Deger
Lots of good flying stories on my web site,
www.dannydeger.net

Old August 3rd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 2, 6:44 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Avweb's story, which has a link to NTSB's factual report, notes that Scott
Crossfield was not warned of adverse weather. However, he did have
access to XM Satellite Radio with a subscription to its basic weather
package. The autopsy likewise isn't suggestive of any obvious causative
medical issue (unless I'm misreading it):

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t_Warned_Of_Ad...

I am hoping that ADS-B will help to prevent these kinds of tragedies.
Having real-time traffic and weather data streaming into your avionics
from ground stations should make all of us safer if we know where to
look for each other in flight, and we all give severe weather the
respect and wide berth it deserves...

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

Old August 3rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
On Aug 2, 6:44 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Avweb's story, which has a link to NTSB's factual report, notes that
Scott Crossfield was not warned of adverse weather. However, he did
have access to XM Satellite Radio with a subscription to its basic
weather package. The autopsy likewise isn't suggestive of any
obvious causative medical issue (unless I'm misreading it):

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t_Warned_Of_Ad...

I am hoping that ADS-B will help to prevent these kinds of tragedies.
Having real-time traffic and weather data streaming into your avionics
from ground stations should make all of us safer if we know where to
look for each other in flight, and we all give severe weather the
respect and wide berth it deserves...

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

While ADS-B will certainly reduce the number of WX related accidents there
is no reason to think that any significant percentage of single engine
aircraft will ever be fitted with it.

Old August 3rd 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 3, 10:21 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
[...]

aircraft will ever be fitted with it.- Hide quoted text -

I think that depends on how well the FAA does in getting a low cost
system in play like they claim they will...

Dean

Old August 3rd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Danny Deger" wrote:

Last I checked many controllers only have transponder indications with no
weather on their display at all.

How many? Where did you check?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Scott Crossfield R.I.P. Joe Delphi Naval Aviation 14 April 26th 06 10:17 AM
Adverse Yaw Mike Soaring 7 July 12th 05 01:53 PM
I **warned** you guys that if you didn't shape up... Jim Home Built 44 September 28th 03 06:10 PM
I **warned** you guys that if you didn't shape up... john smith Owning 20 September 28th 03 06:10 PM
I **warned** you guys that if you didn't shape up... Jim Owning 4 August 7th 03 11:55 AM