Are the Israelis using smaller Hellfire warheads?

Old April 20th 04, 08:52 PM
Yeff

Default Are the Israelis using smaller Hellfire warheads?

I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come standard.
Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

Thanks,

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old April 20th 04, 09:06 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Yeff" wrote in message
I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come

standard.
Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

I hadn't heard that, but it would probably make sense, seeing as the
standard armor-percing hellfire warhead is overkill for a soft target like a
car.

Old April 21st 04, 12:07 AM
Jim Yanik

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in
:

"Yeff" wrote in message
I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come

standard.
Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

I hadn't heard that, but it would probably make sense, seeing as the
standard armor-percing hellfire warhead is overkill for a soft target
like a car.

It's only a ~22 lb. warhead. And some of those cars may be "armored".

Changing the weight of the warhead could affect flight characteristics of
the missile.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old April 21st 04, 12:09 AM
Jim Yanik

Glenfiddich wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:52:44 -0400, Yeff wrote:

I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come
standard. Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

Highly likely - if it *was* a Hellfire.

Check the early pictures of the last airstrike - the blast didn't even
remove the car's hubcaps.
Ignore later pictures - reports say the car was vandalised by souvenir
seekers.

Well,Hellfire uses a shaped charge warhead,so it makes a "jet' of
penetrating metal,tearing through the car's interior and the blast may
occur outside the car,and it would not affect the hubcaps/wheelcovers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old April 21st 04, 04:10 AM
Ragnar

"Yeff" wrote in message
I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come

standard.
Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

From what I understand, the Israelis have converted both the TOW and
Hellfire to use blast/frag warheads instead of the usual shaped charge ones.
Blast/frag is more efficient for attacking the target set they are going
after. I don't know about weight though.

Old April 21st 04, 04:36 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
Glenfiddich wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:52:44 -0400, Yeff wrote:

I've seen it suggested on some web pages that the Israelis are using
smaller Hellfire warheads for their anti-terror strikes than come
standard. Is this true and, if so, does anyone have a good cite?

Highly likely - if it *was* a Hellfire.

Check the early pictures of the last airstrike - the blast didn't even
remove the car's hubcaps.
Ignore later pictures - reports say the car was vandalised by souvenir
seekers.

Well,Hellfire uses a shaped charge warhead,so it makes a "jet' of
penetrating metal,tearing through the car's interior and the blast may
occur outside the car,and it would not affect the hubcaps/wheelcovers.

Think about what you just said. The fact that the standard Hellfire uses a
HEAT warhead does not really greatly affect the blast effect; it only means
that a portion of the blast has been used (as it expands outward) to invert
the liner and turn it into a stream of really hot metal and gas focused on a
small area. The explosive still exhibits a generally spherical blast pattern
overall. Set a fifteen pound demo shaped charge against the average
passenger vehicle and you'll see that it does not *need* the shaped charge
effect to do a pretty good number on the target; that much HE going off in
close contact to the car will tend to ruin everyone's day if they were
unfortunate enough to be inside it.

Brooks

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Old April 21st 04, 01:48 PM
tscottme

Kevin Brooks wrote in message

[...]

I don't believe you, I think we need to see a few hundred more test
shots. ;-)

--
Scott
--------

Old April 21st 04, 05:39 PM
Jim Yanik

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
Glenfiddich wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I *did* think about what I wrote.
The blast is going to occur in a place where the roughly spherical blast
front is not likely to affect wheel covers or hubcaps.
The jet will not do much damage in itself,the majority of damage inside -
will- be caused by the blast.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net