NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:48 -0700, "
wrote in . com:

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

And if the terms of their employment are changed _after_ they are
hired, they are free to resist a new policy imposed upon them without
their prior agreement.

Nonsense. Employers can change job requirements at any time.

Old September 5th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

Some will leave. One of the effects of messing with people that are
eligible to retire is a jump in retirements.

Old September 5th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Some will leave. One of the effects of messing with people that are
eligible to retire is a jump in retirements.

I suspect also that the ones who leave (other than for retirement) would
be the ones who can easily find work elsewhere. ATC would be left with...

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 5th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Stefan" wrote in message
Bob Noel schrieb:

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little
interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's
attire
matter even a little?

And even *if* they had interaction with the public: Who cares how they are
dressed? If they wish to work in a bathsuit and their hair coloured green
and blue, so be it, as long as they are doing their job well.

The only thing that is ridiculous in that story is that people are not
free to dress as they wish. So much for the land of the free.

It is the land of the free. If you don't like the rules you are free to
seek employment elsewhere and might even be offered the opportunity to do so
full time.

Stefan

Old September 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period. What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

And, yes, looking professional translates into a professional working
atmosphere, as has been proven by many studies over the years.

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code? To coin an old phrase, sounds like we've got too many chiefs,
and not enough indians...and NATCA has just set themselves up for a
huge fall.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Jay Honeck schrieb:

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period.

You have a pretty narrow view of what a "professioal look" means.

What does it say when we require the kids to be in uniform, but the
controllers are wearing flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

Maybe it says that requireing kids to wear uniforms is ridiculous, too.

Stefan
Old September 4th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period.

Who defines what looks professional?

A company that shall remain nameless spent mucho dollars buying new modular
furniture (and tossing perfectly functional desks, tables, chairs, bookcases) in
order to create a "professional" work environment. I suppose some foo-foo
designer might think that the new stuff looks good - but employees now
have less deskspace, file storage, and shelves for books and other reference
material. So much for the value of "professional" appearance.

How about caring about the state of the equipment in the tower cab?
The old tower at KBED had some real old dusty crap in it. And you
should have seen the tangle of old old OLD wiring at KBOS tower.

What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

That we care more about performance than appearance?

And, yes, looking professional translates into a professional working
atmosphere, as has been proven by many studies over the years.

I'd love to see any of those studies. I suspect that someone fell
into the trap of confusing casual relationship (no pun) with cause
and effect.

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code?

I never said an employer can't. What I want is for the leadership
to concentrate on things that matter. Period.

What does it say about our society when we care more for appearance
than performance?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 4th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:09:44 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

What does it say about our society when we care more for appearance
than performance?

Does it say, that those in charge must posture before the public for a
successful re-election bid, and that attitude then permeates the
leadership?

Old September 4th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

What does it say about our society when we care more for appearance
than performance?

Does it say, that those in charge must posture before the public for a
successful re-election bid, and that attitude then permeates the
leadership?

Who said *anyone* cares more about appearance than anything else, let
alone performance? For the purposes of this thread, top performance
is presumed.

We're talking about a dress code here, nothing more.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 4th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 4 Sep 2006 06:25:12 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in . com:

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code?

It would seem, from what you posted in your initial article in this
message thread, that the FAA has in fact set a dress code. Or did you
miss that fact?