canopy tint

Old August 4th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default canopy tint

On Aug 1, 9:05*am, sisu1a wrote:
On Aug 1, 5:55 am, Ed Downham wrote:

Having flown with a variety of tinted/non-tinted canopies, I would say that
on an average soaring day they seem to make very little difference to
vision and/or heating. In very low light levels (twilight/dark) I'd
prefer to be under a clear lid but practically it wouldn't make a huge
difference.

IMHO you're probably better off with a clear canopy + cover + a decent
pair of sunglasses: at least you can change/remove the sunglasses...

The "Perspex" normally used for glider canopies is transparent from
about 350nm and longer wavelengths, which includes part of the UVA band..
There is enough energy in the photons there to cause skin/tissue damage,
so although you might not visibly "burn" as much as in direct sunlight,
it's not at all good for you. I'm a bit sensitive in this respect so for
me high-factor sunblock is a must in a glider. You can get "UV 400"
Perspex which only lets in visible light but I've never heard of a canopy
being made with it (maybe I should ask!)

Well, you didn't really ask, but here is is anyhow...http://www.thermotecusa.com/
Ray Poquette has been making 98% UV blocker canopies of ALL flavors
for along time. Here is a link to his UV canopy chart:http://www.thermotecusa.com/ThermoTe...opy%20Info.htm

The canopy chart is interesting - I normally fly a Ventus Cm, and have
never been bothered by sunburn;a couple of years ago I gave a ride to
a friend in a Grob, and was aware in less tha half an hour, through
that typical sensation of early sunburn, that UV was not as well
blocked. After checking out in it, I applied sunscreen liberally. The
difference really can be felt by the person with untanned, susceptible
skin.

Dan Johnson
Old August 9th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k

Doug Hoffman wrote:

How about oleo struts on the landing gear with an air pump that
raised and lowered the whole glider in sync with a loud boom
shacka lacka from the built in music system loudspeakers.
Combine that with bright glowing lights from under the fuse. Get
it all going during roll outs on the ground (take off and
landing). That would the fear into the competition!

All I wanna know is, how much?

Jack

Need 1-26E Canopy USA [email protected] Soaring 2 March 5th 08 12:23 AM
Canopy Yosimite Sam Home Built 4 November 21st 04 12:35 AM
K8 Canopy Jack Wyman Soaring 0 June 9th 04 08:36 PM
Windshields - tint or clear? Roger Long Piloting 7 February 10th 04 02:41 AM
SGS 2-32 canopy? Gary Boggs Soaring 0 January 6th 04 11:21 PM