Jantar 2A opinions sought

Old November 17th 03, 06:47 AM
Mark Navarre

Default Jantar 2A opinions sought

I am considering the purchase of an Open Jantar 2A and would like to hear
descriptions of the handling quirks and likes/dislikes from current or past
Jantar owners. I have over 400 hours in an ASW-20 and would like something
affordable with longer "legs".
-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old November 17th 03, 10:46 AM
Nils Hoeimyr

Take a look he

http://www.gliderforum.com/thread-vi...id=694&posts=4

Nils

Old November 17th 03, 04:12 PM
Michael Stringfellow

My first glider was a Jantar-1, the 19 m older version of the Jantar 2, but
very much the same. I did most of my badge flights in this ship in the
1980's in South Africa.

I flew a lot with the top 15- m ships of the day, which included the ASW-20
and Ventus. They outran me on strong days and I got home on some weak days
when they didn't.

It had no bad flight characteristics, although you had to get used to using
strong rudder to initiate a turn, and it is virtually unbreakable. I got
turned upside down in severe mountain rotor one time and the ship recovered
more or less on its own without damage.

I found the cockpit large and comfortable, but the gear lever has a long
throw and most people find it takes two hands to raise it. Some also
complain about the stick position.

The biggest disadvantage was rigging - the Jantar-1 had single wing panels
and my arrival on the field with my trailer caused everyone else to flee!
The 2 has a two-piece wing, but is still quite a handful to rig compared to
modern 15 m ships. If you have a hangar, I wouldn't worry, but if you need
to rig and derig every time you fly, this might be an issue.

In your shoes, I'd look for an ASW 20 L.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

Old November 18th 03, 06:17 AM
One9er

I've read Mike's reviews in the past and he seems to know his stuff. I went
from a asw-19 to the Jantar 2a. I have some 250 hrs on the bird. I would
agree that a asw-20 is quite competive to a dry Jantar 2a. 20's thow can have
gel coat problems and the 2a's are painted. Much like a car, easy to maintain
with some elbow grease. I do keep it tide down with covers. I enjoy the long
wing feelings other than when I'm dry flying rough rotor low on the peaks.
Happy Landings,
Mitch Herold/CO