ILEC SN10 remote control

Old May 27th 12, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ILEC SN10 remote control

I eventually want to buy a remote control unit for my ILEC SN 10B,
but I´m not shure where to store it in flight to get easy access to
it. Where is the best place for it in the cockpit, so it doesn´t
disturb the handling of the ship? Does anybody have experiencies/
pictures?

Thanks,
Bernd
Old May 27th 12, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:29:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I eventually want to buy a remote control unit for my ILEC SN 10B,
but I´m not shure where to store it in flight to get easy access to
it. Where is the best place for it in the cockpit, so it doesn´t
disturb the handling of the ship? Does anybody have experiencies/
pictures?

Thanks,
Bernd

Going way back to the Borgelt-100, I used the provided wrap-around cloth sleeve that velcro'd around my left leg (just above the knee), The remote velcro'd to the wrap-around and could be adjusted to the best angle/position. I have extended the knobs on mt SN-10 with 3" plastic tubing and find it easy to move them directly without the need of a remote. Some fix the remote to the left side near the trim.
Love my SN-10,
JJ
Old May 27th 12, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:29:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I eventually want to buy a remote control unit for my ILEC SN 10B,
but I´m not shure where to store it in flight to get easy access to
it. Where is the best place for it in the cockpit, so it doesn´t
disturb the handling of the ship? Does anybody have experiencies/
pictures?

Thanks,
Bernd

In my LS6 it's almost impossible to reach the SN10 controls on the panel. I mounted my remote on the left canopy rail where it is easy to reach over and adjust the settings with my right hand (the water ballast dump prevents mounting it on the right).

Love my SN10 (so does Dick Butler, judging from the cockpit pictures of the Concordia!) - and the remote is great.

Get the USB adapter if you don't already have it - makes downloading flights super easy: as soon as you land, stick the USB stick in the port and by the time you tie down or are ready to derig and pull the batteries, the flight is downloaded. Neat.

Kirk
66

Kirk
66
Old May 28th 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:29:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I eventually want to buy a remote control unit for my ILEC SN 10B,
but I´m not shure where to store it in flight to get easy access to
it. Where is the best place for it in the cockpit, so it doesn´t
disturb the handling of the ship? Does anybody have experiencies/
pictures?

Thanks,
Bernd

In the Discus 2A the remote is velcro'd just forward of the trim (left hand side) and below the dive break. This is right where I rest my arm. So... convenient for interacting with the SN-10B.

Walt Rogers, WX
Old May 28th 12, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Like Walt, I used to Velcro my SN10 remote to the gunnel (right side for me) when not in use and in my lap when I was using it. After going through 2 units (they are fragile), I gave up on the remote and stuck some clear plastic tubing on the control knobs to extend them and make them easily reachable. I have to say that I stole that idea from JJ. A drop of clear fingernail polish will make them so they don't slip. Mine are about 1.5 inches long. A cheap solution that works well.
Craig
Old May 28th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:30:52 PM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
Like Walt, I used to Velcro my SN10 remote to the gunnel (right side for me) when not in use and in my lap when I was using it. After going through 2 units (they are fragile), I gave up on the remote and stuck some clear plastic tubing on the control knobs to extend them and make them easily reachable. I have to say that I stole that idea from JJ. A drop of clear fingernail polish will make them so they don't slip. Mine are about 1.5 inches long. A cheap solution that works well.
Craig

Two years ago my SN-10B remote stopped working. The wires broke in two different places near where they soldered onto the circuit board. New cable and re-soldering did the trick.
Old May 28th 12, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 28 Mai, 06:30, "Craig R." wrote:
Like Walt, I used to Velcro my SN10 remote to the gunnel (right side for me) when not in use and in my lap when I was using it. After going through 2 units (they are fragile), I gave up on the remote and stuck some clear plastic tubing on the control knobs to extend them and make them easily reachable. I have to say that I stole that idea from JJ. A drop of clear fingernail polish will make them so they don't slip. Mine are about 1.5 inches long. A cheap solution that works well.
Craig

Thank you all very much for the useful information! Although I didn´t
fly with it until now, 3000 hrs. + of flying with ILEC SB8/ASR and
the SN 10 demo-program convinced me, that the SN 10 is an outstanding
flight computer on the market. Can´t wait to check it in the air.

Bernd