Slightly OT-Ping Jay-A Suggestion For Your Inn

Old February 5th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RL Anderson

Default Slightly OT-Ping Jay-A Suggestion For Your Inn

Hi Jay,

Hope all is well with you. I have an "off the wall" suggestion for you.
Hope you don't think that it's too nutty. I'm not a pilot or aircraft
owner. I'm just a "garden variety aviation nut" who really likes the
concept of your inn.

As I've been looking at your site, I was thinking that something was
missing. Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so that
if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to see if
you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an "airborne
reservation").

Just my $0.02 suggestion.

Rick
Old February 5th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

RL Anderson wrote:
Hi Jay,

Hope all is well with you. I have an "off the wall" suggestion for you.
Hope you don't think that it's too nutty. I'm not a pilot or aircraft
owner. I'm just a "garden variety aviation nut" who really likes the
concept of your inn.

As I've been looking at your site, I was thinking that something was
missing. Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so that
if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to see if
you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an "airborne
reservation").

Just use 122.75 or 123.45. Nobody else uses those anyways.
Old February 5th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Newps writes:

Just use 122.75 or 123.45. Nobody else uses those anyways.

That's illegal, and those frequencies are indeed used. A licensed
base station is a much better idea.

Old February 5th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

RL Anderson wrote:

As I've been looking at your site, I was thinking that something was
missing. Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so that
if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to see if
you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an "airborne
reservation").

You can buy that service from ARINC. The other option would be to
try to get access to the "unicom frequency for towered airports" or
such. I think it's 121.6 off the top of my head.
Old February 5th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Newps" wrote in message . ..
:
:
: RL Anderson wrote:
: Hi Jay,
:
[...]

You are going to get so slammed, esp. if Jim Weir sees this!

Old February 5th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so that
if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to see if
you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an "airborne
reservation").

Cool idea! I'll look into it -- thanks, Rick!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 5th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Blueskies wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message . ..
:
:
: RL Anderson wrote:
: Hi Jay,
:
[...]

I cast out my Jim Weir lure on that one. So far no luck.

Old February 5th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

: As I've been looking at your site, I was thinking that something was
: missing. Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
: station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
: operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so

that
: if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to

see if
: you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an "airborne
: reservation").

A few years ago I was on my way to Front Range airport in CO and had to stop
over night in Imperial, NE due to a line of thunderstorms. I called the
unicom a few miles out and since it was quiet I asked a few questions about
getting a room for the night. The nice lady on the other end of the radio
said she'd take care of everything for us and that a ride to the hotel would
be waiting when we arrived. I found out after I landed that the airport was
unattended - turned out the woman on the radio lived down the street a mile
or two. The pickup truck was waiting to give us a ride into "town" just
like she said.

Neat airport - when I went inside there was a cardboard box full of cash and
coins and a set of keys on the counter. The sign on the box said that the
keys were for the courtesy car and just leave some money for gas if you used
it.

BDS

Old February 5th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Newps wrote:

RL Anderson wrote:

Hi Jay,

Hope all is well with you. I have an "off the wall" suggestion for
you. Hope you don't think that it's too nutty. I'm not a pilot or
aircraft owner. I'm just a "garden variety aviation nut" who really
likes the concept of your inn.

As I've been looking at your site, I was thinking that something was
missing. Have you ever thought of installing a "Unicom Style" base
station, for your inn, with its own discrete freq? Given your
operation, it might be a dynamite idea to have a freq available so
that if a pilot is transiting your area, they could give you a call to
see if you have space available for an evening stay (i.e.: an
"airborne reservation").

Just use 122.75 or 123.45. Nobody else uses those anyways.

Good idea, but 122.75 can be real busy on a nice day. Been there, done that.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old February 5th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Ross" wrote in message
Newps wrote:

RL Anderson wrote:

[...]

Out here in Phoenix, 122.85 and 122.75 are used in the southern and northern
practice areas respectively.

Jay B